EBC Greenstuff pads, yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm due to get my brakes done and I want some sportier / better brakes because despite having a "mom car" I go racing at car meets and go off roading in the mud sometimes.

I like the look of the slotted Duralast GT rotors and trying to find some nice pads to go with them I found the EBC Greenstuff series, but they have mixed reviews.

Does anyone here have experience using them (or the Redstuff series) and can chime in for me? Thanks!

Originally Posted by blupupher
I had some greenstuff pads on the back of my '02 F150. The pads cracked after about a year/4000 miles of mild use.

Ehh... that's quite bad lol. Did you swap them out with another set or get something different? Did it seem like it was just a defect or caused by actual wear? Either way, that ain't good..

I have them on my Mazda now; the read pads I installed like a year ago while the front pads I placed a month ago; just out of curiosity I check my rear pads again few days ago and I was surprised by how little pad has left; very soon ill need to replace them so soon; however I have slotted rotors and I am hard on brakes but still I was surprised by how little is left of the rear pads;

also, their stop power is great yet they're very dusty and dirty on aluminum wheels;

so once I see how's the life of the front pads then ill decide should I go buy them again or not when the time for its replacement comes

I have the EBC Ultimax "Blackstuff" pads, and they are awesome
smile.gif

You should also get the EBC rotors.

Between reading comments here and reviews elsewhere, I'm definitely steering clear of the Greenstuffs. I'll look into Akebono and the Blackstuffs for sure though. Thanks!

Hold up - are the Duralast GT pads made by EBC? They follow the exact same numbering scheme as the "Blackstuffs"

GT1089 and GT537 vs UD1089 and UD537... can anyone confirm or deny my suspicion?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by meadows
I have greenstuff pads on the Ford excursion. No problems in the last three or four years.

They definitely appear to be hit and miss. I might go ahead and try out a set for s&g and see what happens. Still holding off on buying anything for a few days though.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I would hardly call brake pads a "s&g" purchase when it involves your life and others along with the risk of death. Where exactly do you live in Ohio so I can avoid it?

Yeah in hindsight that was a stupid comment. I'm probably not doing the Greenstuffs since there's so much mixed review on them, plus, with my dumb luck I'd be the guy to end up getting a bad set of them.
Also I'm from Columbus by the way. Lol.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
Hold up - are the Duralast GT pads made by EBC? They follow the exact same numbering scheme as the "Blackstuffs"

GT1089 and GT537 vs UD1089 and UD537... can anyone confirm or deny my suspicion?

No, they are not.
31.gif

Brake pads use a standardized numbering system called FMSI. In your case, the FMSI numbers are D1089 and D537. Many pads' part numbers won't use the D because the D just means disc brake pads (the letter S is used for shoes on drum brakes)

So virtually ALL aftermarket brake pads will use those same numbers 1089 and 537. Akebono uses a different number on a small number of pads, but most of them will use the FMSI number

Beck/Arnley uses their own numbering system. EBC uses their own system for all pads except the Blackstuff. There might be a couple other exceptions here and there,

Generally, aftermarket performance pads are going to wear faster than OEM pads: thats the tradeoff for better performance. I have never had an issue with EBC on my motorcycles. I also like the Hawk brand.

Have them on SIenna with EBC rotors. No issues in 10k. I have Red Stuff on VW Tiguan for 4yrs, never had an issue.
In Sienna it improved performance and pedal feel is much better. Though, they dust more (could not care about that).
As for Akebono, I would not put that POS if someone paid me.

Ram 1500 with two years on Greens, Definitely a worth while upgrade for mine. Had Yellows before, were great stoppers but wore quickly. I have Greens on an Aveo, they work well there as an upgrade as well. I have Reds my Mustang's Brembo setup. Wearing fine and stop well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back