Idiotic VW Beetle headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
RANT:

Why did VW decide to make the headlights on New Beetles so god-awful? The first generation were a real treat, what with the manual slide release that seized 100% of the time, then "updating" it to a 2 step process involving turning a locking bar 90 degrees AND depressing a metal tab that's not only inaccessible but about as easy to spot as a slow-moving cancer. No offense to anyone, personally.

I understand that there are design constraints, however the PT Cruiser is just as goofy looking yet half as difficult to change bulbs on. Heck, the newer Malibu's require COMPLETE BUMPER REMOVAL to replace the headlights, and I could probably do 3 of those in the time it takes to properly R&R a Beetle headlight, including the fiddling to get it to seat properly.

/rant

Didn't they stop making the Beetle? Though, yeah, they probably will reintroduce it in a few years.

Want some fun, change the battery on a Nissan Murano.

Moaning about changing a bulb on different makes and models is silly. If it was a piece of cake on every make and model, you wouldn't have your job at Jiffy-Lube.

Never wanted one of those. Engine was in the wrong end - and the front seat was in the rear.

- just a fake beetle all around.

A "lifestyle" Car for Divorced Middle Aged Woman Hippie.

I pass through a The senior Center parking lot on my way to the road. There is a red new Beetle parked regularilly . It has a the retro -style chrome trimmed steely with a hub cap wheels and its a pretty car. And I don't even like red
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Moaning about changing a bulb on different makes and models is silly. If it was a piece of cake on every make and model, you wouldn't have your job at Jiffy-Lube.

I can moan all I want. Also, I never get my hands on the cars until after the jughead's at "Jiffy Lube" screw it up. That's why I don't stand around making $12.50 an hour. Thanks, though.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Never wanted one of those. Engine was in the wrong end - and the front seat was in the rear.

- just a fake beetle all around.

I'd take a old new beetle with a 1.8T and a manual in a second. It's not a girls car if it is fast. I've seen numerous Beetles in the scrapyard but they all have the 2.slow.
Originally Posted by andyd
I pass through a The senior Center parking lot on my way to the road. There is a red new Beetle parked regularilly . It has a the retro -style chrome trimmed steely with a hub cap wheels and its a pretty car. And I don't even like red
grin2.gif

I love those wheels, too! The Beetle DUNE is pretty cool. I like the new ones because they chopped the top, the old ones are so 1999.

Not a girl's car if you can roll coal with it.

Late wife had a 2005 Beetle TDI, in battleship gray. Lug it off the line in 2nd gear (5-speed manual) and it would lay down a smoke screen for being only a 1.9L diesel.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

LOL... I don't want to [censored] on anyone's ride... but that exactly describes the one and only New Beetle owner I've known.

I like the current Beetle, I didn't like the New Beetle. Enormous architecture compromises to style, again especially the interior which was fabulously addressed with the Beetle A5 platform launch.

And Yes If the 1.4tsi in my Jetta lease is any clue, the 2.0 in a tuned form must be a killer engine.

Too bad about the A5 3000 lbs+ curb weight thhough, you know what Chapman would say
smile.gif

Seriously, the VW Beetle needs to be brought back to it's roots. It was a cheap economy car,(RELIABLE) that just happened to make it onto Abby Road. The VW was inexpensive, was highly desirable to people not into status like college students and, later, hippie types who were tired of pouring their money into their cars.

Sadly, automobiles are all about "status" today. Make it basic with 40 mpg from a normal gas engine. Simple.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Seriously, the VW Beetle needs to be brought back to it's roots. It was a cheap economy car,(RELIABLE) that just happened to make it onto Abby Road. The VW was inexpensive, was highly desirable to people not into status like college students and, later, hippie types who were tired of pouring their money into their cars.

Sadly, automobiles are all about "status" today. Make it basic with 40 mpg from a normal gas engine. Simple.

The VW Beetle, and later the Bus, became fashion - like high-waisted jeans and bell-bottoms.

The image of the Beetle is what lasted, not its roots as an economy car. If the Beetle went down market it it could do so in the US only. The rest of the world have the Up! and Polo below the Golf.

I suspect the Beetle will return with the Bus in the form of fashionable electrics.

Don't get too nostalgic unless you like to constantly change oil and adjust valves ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back