One spark plug won't come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by atikovi
If the previous installer used anti-seize this wouldn't be a problem.
Both NGK and Denso both say not to use any anti-seize and I even emailed one of them (don't remember which) to see if they'd kinda hint in a roundabout way something like "it's not necessary, but it won't hurt anything" (wink, wink) but he repeated their stance: no anti-seize. We still put some on but a very, very small amount.

I have said it many times here over the last 10+ years.
Things in the salt belt tend to corrode in place without anti seize, period. I have had NGK and Denso plated plugs stuck in there tighter than a bulls backside in a hurricane.

The reason they say this is for legal reasons ONLY, using anti seize effect torque and if misused can trigger a cat damaging misfire. Someone goes and buys plugs, lathers them up and torques to spec and strips the threads or ruins a cat due to getting anti seize on the firing end and sues the company.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I have a set for the MGM 4.6 2V in my sig, I've wondered if a weak impact, like my old 1/4" Milawaukee Power Plus, tapping away at a heavily soaked stuck plug would be a better idea than cranking away by hand on it?

That is one of the ways on a warm (not hot) engine with penetrant but I hate to recommend anything. A small 1/4" low power impact is the max I would use on an aluminum head to rattle it a little.

I would say that givin' it some tough love to get it out is somewhat different than over torquing a plug in the right hand direction. I mentioned this in another posting. Put the 3/8" ratchet away. Bring out a 1/2 inch ratchet with a crossover to your plug socket. Pucker up and give it a gruntortwo. Get the washer unseated and then put in penetrating oil into the spark plug well. Let soak overnight, then next day stand firm and give it some serious love in the left hand direction. It will come out.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I think the OP got them out, no ? I presume so based on the text, not the (2) plugs shown.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Removed the WD40, wasn't getting any better after 5 hours, and put in Kroil. These plugs have a really long thread.

Naw. Gave up. Going to take my own advice of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it was missing or throwing a code I'd keep trying but it runs just fine. Don't want to chance striping the threads.

Spraying any and all of the lubricates mentioned in this thread will not penetrate down into those plug threads. It may make one feel like they are doing something but eventually you get out the 1/2" drive (like Snagglefoot mentioned) and start turning it 1/4 of a turn back and forth then move up to 1/2 turn and after about 5 to 10 minutes you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back