Toyota Venza Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me how the reliability is on a Toyota Venza? I see it comes with a 3.5 L and a 2.7 L

[Linked Image]

The Venza is a great car. It's just a jacked-up Camry wagon, so no problems there
smile.gif

The 2.7L is the better engine because it's an I4 that's easy to work on
smile.gif

The 3.5L is a transverse V6 that is hard to work on!
mad.gif

And the I4 will you give you better mpg. Even better if you can find a FWD model

VVT gears on the earlier model 3.5's, but not super common. Timing Cover leaks can happen on the early ones as well. But otherwise, it is a solid engine.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Venza is a great car. It's just a jacked-up Camry wagon, so no problems there
smile.gif

smile.gif

mad.gif

And the I4 will you give you better mpg. Even better if you can find a FWD model

Yep, nothing more than a Camry in drag, although there is a lot more interior space.
If this vehicle suits the OP and is priced right then it would be a good pick.
No more or less reliable than any other Camry, so pretty good.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

smile.gif

mad.gif

Most professional reviews I've read say the I-4 in the Venza has lackluster performance and not much better mileage than the V-6. If you carry any kind of load (cargo or passengers), the I-4 will be a dog in this heavier vehicle, same as an I-4 in the Highlander. All you do is save a few bucks on the front end.

I changed one of these over for snow tires. 19" tires.

Only two tires fit in the "trunk", the other two had to ride in the back seat. The plastic bags barely covered the tires.

It's a cartoon SUV like so many others.

My BIL has had a 2009 2.7L base model since new. They love it. Never a single problem that I know of.

I have a 2009 Venza V6 AWD, wife's car. It was ordered before they hit the dealer's lots when it was launched.
60,000 miles on it..

Had to change:
2 wheel speed sensors - $600
Rear Hub carrier - $800
All 4 struts - $1600
Parking brake mechanism - $500, yes, wifey uses it all the time, it just stopped holding.
Rear sway bar bushings - $30, did those myself. Had to remove 3 layers of stuff to get to them. Really convoluted.
All out of warranty.
Tires were $1000 - and I have dedicated snows on steel rims.
Brakes were $1000
All serviced at the dealer - maybe over priced but whatever...

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a new one today if they still made them. At ~ 4,200 lbs, I'd probably op for the V^ engine. A lot more vehicle and quality than the standard Toyota wagon. Ed

As nice as the 3.5 is, I would stick to the 2.7 if you aren't driving loaded. It's raspy, yes, but it's a torquey long-stroke 4 banger. The 3.5 is no picnic to work on, believe me. I would rather let a Toyota 4-cylinder stretch it's legs and work for it's worth than wrench on a 3.5 in the same chassis. Keep good oil in it and you'll be fine.

As far as driving, it really is just a tall, fat Camry fresh from the buffet. They are quiet and comfortable, I'll admit.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
As nice as the 3.5 is, I would stick to the 2.7 if you aren't driving loaded. It's raspy, yes, but it's a torquey long-stroke 4 banger. The 3.5 is no picnic to work on, believe me. I would rather let a Toyota 4-cylinder stretch it's legs and work for it's worth than wrench on a 3.5 in the same chassis. Keep good oil in it and you'll be fine.

As far as driving, it really is just a tall, fat Camry fresh from the buffet. They are quiet and comfortable, I'll admit.

01.gif

Originally Posted by Danno
I have a 2009 Venza V6 AWD, wife's car. It was ordered before they hit the dealer's lots when it was launched.
60,000 miles on it..

Had to change:
2 wheel speed sensors - $600
Rear Hub carrier - $800
All 4 struts - $1600
Parking brake mechanism - $500, yes, wifey uses it all the time, it just stopped holding.
Rear sway bar bushings - $30, did those myself. Had to remove 3 layers of stuff to get to them. Really convoluted.
All out of warranty.
Tires were $1000 - and I have dedicated snows on steel rims.
Brakes were $1000
All serviced at the dealer - maybe over priced but whatever...

If I wrote that about VW or BMW, we would have 6 pages of: I told you so...
Since it is Toyota, it is "normal" wear and tear.

Im actually going to check one out tomorrow. Even the 3.5 isnt exactly fast. In manual mode its much more responsive. How often will you be doing engine work? I wouldnt bother with the 4. To answer the OP, they are very reliable.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
How often will you be doing engine work? I wouldnt bother with the 4. To answer the OP, they are very reliable.

Agreed.
No point in needlessly flogging a 4 when a 6 will provide ample power without breaking a sweat.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Im actually going to check one out tomorrow. Even the 3.5 isnt exactly fast. In manual mode its much more responsive. How often will you be doing engine work? I wouldnt bother with the 4. To answer the OP, they are very reliable.

What year is that Venza? First 2GR-FE engines had some issues around timing chain tensioner (solved). Generally, they are extremely stout engines, though they can have issues with solenoids on VVT-i. That is pricy ticket due to transverse position of the engine and labor required to do it.
Expect at 120k spark plug job, and ABSOLUTELY replace coil packs as you do not want packs to fail on other side of an engine.
Engine itself is much better option than 4cyl. Also, get AWD by all means. FWD will have huge torque steer. Suspension on those vehicles is absolutely mediocre, and 2GR-FW has power. It is bit lazy in lower band due to bore x stroke, but above 4k it is decent. However, it is IMO, much more capable than suspension is. So, IMO, AWD is a MUST!

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Everything requires engine removal (out of the bottom) on the 2GR. Everything!

My wife drives a 2012 LImited AWD V6 in winter and ours has been with out any issues-just fluid changes, pads and a set of tires over 80k miles. We like to have a wagon around and this covers things well. Power and handling are fine. The 'in between' as higher than a normal wagon, but lower than an SUV didn't catch on and sales were below forecast, so it was dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back