Question For Experienced Shotgunners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by CCI
Please no speculation, Google, or armchair commandos here, looking for the voice of knowledge based upon experience. What is the best way to think about shot density, overall spread (pattern size), and impact energy at various distances?

Originally Posted by CCI
For example, in real world experience, what does 00 (2-3/4") look like at 10, 20, 30, 40 yards? Same for #1 or #2 shot, all 2-3/4" shells.

There is only one way. Take your gun, along with your given load, and pattern it yourself at the range. It is the ONLY way you will know what your gun is shooting at any given distance, with any given shot payload.

They sell patterning targets, or you can make your own by tracing out a 30" circle on some white paper. They are both easy and cheap to make. Depending on how your choke is made, the length of your barrel, the type of load you are shooting, will all make a difference on how your gun performs.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Winchester-Pattern-Target-30-Clays/productinfo/WPTSC/

https://www.amazon.com/Shotgun-Patterning-Trouble-Shooter-Shooting/dp/B008FPPDT0

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...targets-st-2-40-yard-paper-package-of-10

Good info. It's the only way to know.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
No, not 4 buck, # 4 lead bird shot with #2s and BB as a second and 3rd choice. Dogs are thin skinned and not very thick. At 40 yards, even with #6 bird, he won't come back for more, He will either lie down and bleed out, or his buddies will look after him in short order.

I strongly disagree. When we shoot things, we are damaging them, and causing pain and suffering. In the case of feral dogs, if the op wants to scare them away, they he should use less lethal rubber buckshot or bean bag rounds. If he wants to shoot them, then he should pick a lethal round that will incapacitate them instantly. Not a birdshot round that will let them run off and suffer for days until they die of sepsis.

#4 buck is the round to pick. My opinion.

A large pellet turkey load could work. I'd still pick the versatite #4 load.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by userfriendly
Are you experienced?

Anyone want to fill him in?
wink.gif

As usual, reliable info from Bubbatime. I got to spend some serious range time with a Benelli Nova and the #4 Buck with the Versatite wad, it's exactly as he described.

At 25 yards the pattern consistently fits inside the silhouette of a QIT-03 target.

Originally Posted by CCI
I got to spend some serious range time with a Benelli Nova and the #4 Buck with the Versatite wad, it's exactly as he described.

At 25 yards the pattern consistently fits inside the silhouette of a QIT-03 target.

What choke (if any) on the barrel?

Look more at the ammo than the chokes. New shotgun ammo has improved with wads and types of buckshot.
The tighter patterns will come from the types of shotgun shells more than the Barrel especially in a 18" improved cylinder.
I think the screw in chokes are a joke. The old poly chokes seem to work but the new type chokes are a joke .
Better shotgun shells came out about the time of the screw in chokes and gun makers saw a chance to sell a gimmick on the shell makers success. My experience is the screw in full chokes clump the patterns .
My favorite shotguns have dedicated barrels, not screw in chokes .Try some different brands of shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back