0w20 Mobil 15k or castrol 15k ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2014 Corolla calls for 0w20 oil and I stick with that. I have been using Mobil oil up to my last oil change I used the castrol 15k oil . They both make a 15k oil and the price isn`t bad at Walmart so these are what I want to stick to. I`m sure both are quite good . My question is of these 2 which do you think might be better?

The 1st thing to ask is under what circumstances was it good for 15K!

Your way of driving probably is a lot more demanding than a test made for advertising purposes.
You money your decision.

If you're satisfied with how either have performed, use whichever is cheapest at the time.

This reminds me of some posts which go like..."I like M1 and it works great for me, now talk me out of it" ...‚..you already know these are quality oils and not some sketchy oil with no API/ILSAC rating so ultimately your empirical evidence should trump anything anyone else has to say.

Last edited:
Ask Tig1.He's been on the light oil diet. I would shop on price or availability as to which I would select. Both will do it if your driving style permits.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Whatever you do, forget the 15K oci ... Too high imho.

It depends on the engine, and driving style.

15,000 miles is about 2-3 months for me - - pretty much all highway.

My "AutoZone clearance $10 jug" of Mobil 1 5W-20 Annual Protection has over 15,000 miles on it already.

I dare anyone to claim that it's "starting to sludge up" so I can shoot them down....

No, I don`t do 15k miles ever. That is not my concern . I do an oil change about every 6 months maybe about 6k miles. My concern is one better than the other for making the the engine last longer.
At Walmart they cost about $27 for 5 quart jugs. Yes, I could go cheaper oil and save $20 over a years time but not important to me in the least.

I don't think a. Ore expensive synthetic oil will help your engine last longer if you are doing 6month/6k mile change. The expense is wasted and the gains I protection are not there. Those 15k formulations are meant to keep the oil serviceable for a longer duration. What you are doing now with the caveat that you can use whatever 0w20 is on sale, will get you the most out of your engine.
Originally Posted by Jimkobb
No, I don`t do 15k miles ever. That is not my concern . I do an oil change about every 6 months maybe about 6k miles. My concern is one better than the other for making the the engine last longer.
At Walmart they cost about $27 for 5 quart jugs. Yes, I could go cheaper oil and save $20 over a years time but not important to me in the least.

My 2014 Corolla calls for 0w20 oil and I stick with that. I have been using Mobil oil up to my last oil change I used the castrol 15k oil . They both make a 15k oil and the price isn`t bad at Walmart so these are what I want to stick to. I`m sure both are quite good . My question is of these 2 which do you think might be better?

The better one is what your engine likes best. Not what you or I like best.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

The better one is what your engine likes best. Not what you or I like best.

+1... and from the sounds of it, both of them seem to be working fine in his engine. So this is the easiest question to answer ever IMO...just pick one and stock up on it and be done with it.

Both are excellent, as are Valvoline and Pennzoil oils. 15K OCI oils are over-the-top. I've been changing oils for 50 years and have never went over 8K .... even when using EP oils. Currently have been averaging 5-6K OCIs using top name brands.

In retrospect to cost of the new vehicle, respect and take care of your vehicles, much sooner than 15K OCIs

Last edited:

Hey man, if you're doing changes that often it likely makes zero difference. The factory recommended oci is 10k no? And I think the manual states any api latest spec at the time oil is OK.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Mobil 1 product.

Why? Have seen more tests/UOA's/studies that show the M1 product will do it without issue.

I notice Castrol has Titanium listed on their oil . They claim it adheres to engine parts better even after the car has been sitting around and helps keeping wear down.
Thought that might make it even better than the Mobil 1 .

Both are more or less equal products as far as protecting your corollas engine.

M1 will likely have a lower noack. Both should be using a similar add pack to meets SN+. Both brands have been using a magnesium heavy add pack before SN+ was a LSPI spec meaning they were both ahead of the curve.

Mobil 1 will be the favorite here at BITOG. I personally feel that QSUD 0w20 with its high Tri-Moly is one of the best values in a 0w20 oil.

Use whichever you want or switch back and forth your Toyota will not care about which premium synthetic is in the sump.

I notice Castrol has Titanium listed on their oil . They claim it adheres to engine parts better even after the car has been sitting around and helps keeping wear down.

Try this Happy Medium Approach!
Concoct 50% Castrol Edge EP and 50% Mobil-1 EP. Your ride should last forever.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Try this Happy Medium Approach!
Concoct 50% Castrol Edge EP and 50% Mobil-1 EP. Your ride should last forever.

I dare triple_se7en to do his "concoction"

I'd say use M1 0w20AFE/EP. Good enough for TIG1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back