Shipping a Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not drive down, and fly home.
I'm sure your grandson would love to see you, and it'd be a great "farewell" to the car.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Why not drive down, and fly home.
I'm sure your grandson would love to see you, and it'd be a great "farewell" to the car.

Gotta love it! +1

I haven't shipped but close family has. I don't know if this is the norm or was unique to the service they used, but I felt the whole process was a bit too casual for my tastes.

They were given a window of 5-7 days when the driver would be available to pick up the vehicle (and that was IF they had a truck going near their pickup point), and another window of time when the car would arrive. So one time, they beat the car to the destination by 4 days and had to rent while they waited and the other time the car left about a week before the family member did and he had to bum a ride to get around until he left.

If you have the time and are up for it, I'd just drive it out there.

You wouldn't be sending your Spark to Sparks, NV, would you? Sorry, I had to do that.
grin2.gif

Driving 2500 miles on an underpowered manual spark ain't happening. Looks like $1200 with any number of reputable carriers.

There is normally two choices with transporting cars. One is when you car goes into it's own carrier, goes from point A to point B. Pretty expensive. The other is when is goes with a group of other cars on a normal car carrier. This only works between major cities. They group the cars in the trucker's yard until they have a full load and then the truck leaves with the load. The truck might make a few stops in other cities before it gets to yours. Your grandson would then have to get down to the trucking yard with ID to pick it up. That's more reasonable in cost.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Why not have him fly or take a bus to you and drive it home? Don't trust him? Afraid he'll die in a fiery crash on the way home?

Originally Posted by Al
Driving 2500 miles on an underpowered manual spark ain't happening. Looks like $1200 with any number of reputable carriers.

I think you can, you just don't want to.

Go West!

Originally Posted by Al

Ill do it for $900. Sounds fun!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Al
Driving 2500 miles on an underpowered manual spark ain't happening.

INTO THE WIND THE WHOLE WAY TOO!! And you wonder why buyers aren't lining up??
wink.gif

My only semi-direct experience with shipping a car was a friend had his built Charger shipped from Houston to somewhere in Maryland for more high dollar motor work and it got lost. The shipper lost his car. It finally was found several months later, damaged. No it wasn't hot-wired and run like a rental, it was put somewhere and got body damage.

Before that fiasco I looked into having a car shipped from Ca to here and thought the same as above, too casual, too many ifs involved.

Shipped a car to my niece from Virginia to Chicago,

https://www.montway.com/

Pickup was a Wal-Mart parking lot,
Delivery was a College Football Stadium parking lot,
Lots of room to load and unload.

I sent one set of keys, and a notarized letter of sale / transfer by mail beforehand,
Another set of keys went with the truck driver.

Three days later, it was there.
Cheaper than driving it...

I drove my sister's hyundai accent from Maine to Dallas, TX. It was awesome-- I'd do it again.

Did 2 enclosed carrier ships on collector cars by top name companies that advertise in Hemmings Motor News. Both cars arrived damaged....J hook damage on the frames from straps pulling on them as the cars shifted. An open carrier can be less expensive though more chance of damage to your vehicle...not any more than if you drove it yourself. Sometimes you can find a smaller carrier who is heading out that way with an empty slot....and can give you a better rate. You'd have to check in car mags or on line in the shipping/carrier section.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Al

Ill do it for $900. Sounds fun!
lol.gif

What he said. (Except I can't do it, no time off work.)

Makes little sense to spend that much on shipping a cheap car. You would be better off selling the car locally and sending him the money to buy something in his area. Not spending the $1200 on shipping means an extra $1200 he can spend on the new car.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Makes little sense to spend that much on shipping a cheap car. You would be better off selling the car locally and sending him the money to buy something in his area. Not spending the $1200 on shipping means an extra $1200 he can spend on the new car.

Exactly what I was thinking too.

He doesn't want it. Can't blame him. I am just donating $5k for him to purchase something. Thanks for responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back