Tesla Model 3 Owners Only - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BEV is perceived as unstoppable for the same reason a "hot stock" is seem as unstoppable, or a Ponzi scheme, or a cult, or a pyramid scheme.

It keeps going up. It's not going to stop.

Sure.

Do enough research, and you can take your pick which it resembles most closely.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
BEV is perceived as unstoppable for the same reason a "hot stock" is seem as unstoppable, or a Ponzi scheme, or a cult, or a pyramid scheme.

Sure.

Bitter much? Show me where the BEV hurt you...

All joking aside, BEVs will continue to gain market share as the country urbanizes. People are moving out of rural areas and into the cities. It's also a generational thing as is the case with any new technology. Sometimes technology can only move as fast as people age... humans generally are adverse to change.

The country is urbanizing?
Maybe in parts of Oregon like Portland, but for most of us, the first thing young people with two pennies to rub together do after marrying when planning children is move to the 'burbs.
De-urbanization has been the trend for around seventy years now which is also the reason that the cores of so many older cities have rotted away.
There is also nothing new about BEVs, although the batteries Panasonic supplies Tesla are far more energy dense than were the batteries available even recently for cars like the GM EV-1.
Remember that car?
Generational?
Look again at the buyer demographic for Tesla cars.
Younger people generally don't have the bucks to buy or lease one while older buyers do, as is true for all higher buck offerings whether cars, housing or vacations.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

Sure.

Bitter much? Show me where the BEV hurt you...

All joking aside, BEVs will continue to gain market share as the country urbanizes. People are moving out of rural areas and into the cities. It's also a generational thing as is the case with any new technology. Sometimes technology can only move as fast as people age... humans generally are adverse to change.

I think you deeply misunderstood what I wrote, or no offense, didn't actually read all of it.

My only concern is with the perception that this is an all-inclusive technology capable of replacing the ICE vehicle. It isn't.

Great technology? Yes.

Great further potential? Yes.

Unlimited potential? No.

Generational thing? This new generation doesn't want a car at all. They're about as interested in buying a Tesla as being slaughtered by a Viking in a frozen cave. Not that they can afford them anyway......or any other new car.

In my case, it isn't age. It's strategy. When the next hurricane comes through here and rips apart the power grid and smashes the solar panels to pieces, do I want to have a $70,000 paperweight? Nope.

100 years from now, people are going to be scrambling to grab some sort of petroleum engine powered generator to make sure they don't get steamed in the dark after or during a weather event. Look deep enough in any modern brand new urban building and you'll find a really big one.

Ever heard of a hurricane lamp? Looks and works exactly the same way lamps did 5000 years ago.

This is a technology with walls and borders smaller than ICE. That is my point.

Our national electrical grid is a fragile thing that in some areas is loaded with problems, brownouts, rolling blackouts, and hilarious price management. The BEV tech is slave to this network, as its potential.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Maybe in parts of Oregon like Portland, but for most of us, the first thing young people with two pennies to rub together do after marrying when planning children is move to the 'burbs.
De-urbanization has been the trend for around seventy years now which is also the reason that the cores of so many older cities have rotted away.
There is also nothing new about BEVs, although the batteries Panasonic supplies Tesla are far more energy dense than were the batteries available even recently for cars like the GM EV-1.
Remember that car?
Generational?
Younger people generally don't have the bucks to buy or lease one while older buyers do, as is true for all higher buck offerings whether cars, housing or vacations.

By urbanizing I was including moving to the burbs. Rural and middle America is being hollowed out as people move to the coasts and population centers.

There are a lotta facts, opinions regarding EVs and Teslas in particular.
In my opinion, the Model 3 is the most futuristic car on the planet. Nothing else is even close.

Well … I'm seeing more and more around Houston …
It's June … Thinking about the future … are they waterproof … ?

Originally Posted by 4WD

When you go to the car wash, the attendant turns off everything for you.
Windshield washers, and other stuff. All automatic.
Most owners don't know how.

For 4WD: No, they are not waterproof. The first time it rained on my car, it completely melted.

Do you know what was the biggest environmental issue in 1890 in cities like New York and Chicago? Do you know how it was solved?

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Remember that car?
Generational?

By urbanizing I was including moving to the burbs. Rural and middle America is being hollowed out as people move to the coasts and population centers.

Educated people move where they think the jobs are and jobs are no longer concentrated in urban cores.
There are rural enclaves within easy driving reach of most conurbations with the commute not involving six+ lanes of super-slab.
One just has to have the savvy to find one.
We live in such a place and my twenty five mile each way commute is a blissfully easy ride through the countryside.
Too bad for my wife, though, since she has to hit I-75 south toward the 'natti and her going a similar distance takes her at least 30% longer.
WRT the middle of the country being hollowed out, not everyone wants the crowds, the traffic and the high housing costs that the coasts increasingly offer.
I think you'll see that trend reverse itself as more employers as well as their potential workers seek lower costs and less density in the middle of our country, which was never all that heavily populated to begin with.
In an age of easy and cheap transport from any A to any B as well as fast data transfer, there's really no reason for any employer to locate in high cost areas.
The left coast does at least offer a pleasant climate, but so many have left it to avoid all of the disadvantages inherent to living there.

In Silicon Valley, manufacturing is pretty much gone. Well except Tesla... The Model Y and Pickup are supposed to be out this year...
It used to be that there were more tool and die jobs here than anywhere in the world, to supply Semiconductor Manufacturing.

But Corporation Headquarters are staying and more are coming. The business end is here.
Apple Spaceship; 12K employees, plus so many other offices.

In downtown San Jose, near the Diridon train station, Google plans a development where 25,000 people could work, including 15,000 to 20,000 of the search giant's employees, in a transit-oriented community of office buildings, homes, hotels, shops, restaurants and open spaces. 2.6M square feet, to start.
They also spent $300M to buy building complexes where I used to work in North San Jose.

This place is different; it is amazing.

Google San Jose Campus

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
In Silicon Valley, manufacturing is pretty much gone. Well except Tesla... The Model Y and Pickup are supposed to be out this year...
It used to be that there were more tool and die jobs here than anywhere in the world, to supply Semiconductor Manufacturing.

But Corporation Headquarters are staying and more are coming. The business end is here.
Apple Spaceship; 12K employees, plus so many other offices.

In downtown San Jose, near the Diridon train station, Google plans a development where 25,000 people could work, including 15,000 to 20,000 of the search giant's employees, in a transit-oriented community of office buildings, homes, hotels, shops, restaurants and open spaces. 2.6M square feet, to start.
They also spent $300M to buy building complexes where I used to work in North San Jose.

This place is different; it is amazing.

Google San Jose Campus

One thing that isn't different about the place is that the workers still need places to live.
The amazing part is that because there is so much demand for the available housing stock prices have been bid up into seven figures for quite modest places.
Simple microeconomics at work.
The rub in any new development is that there isn't enough housing available within any reasonable commute in time, ignoring miles, to accommodate all of these new campuses with their thousands of workers.
The good news is that with broadband connectivity everywhere as well as cheap transport, there is no reason for modern service providers to cluster their operations in any given geographical area, as though they were running factories and all of their supporting shops back in the eighteenth century.
It may take a bit for these firms to twig to this, but they must and will.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by 4WD

When you go to the car wash, the attendant turns off everything for you.
Windshield washers, and other stuff. All automatic.
Most owners don't know how.

Point is June brings in the hurricane season … will be interesting at some point in time. We don't like to second guess the east<>west tracking … so many head north …
They may fall short of Dallas charges but will have to find other folks to help.

One week in, and I couldn't be happier with the car. Makes me wonder I didn't switch to BEV sooner. Wife and I are already talking about replacing our Mini with a Model Y in a couple years.

One week in, and I couldn't be happier with the car. Makes me wonder I didn't switch to BEV sooner. Wife and I are already talking about replacing our Mini with a Model Y in a couple years.

I have been looking at cars in the $40K range (+/- $5K) and the Tesla keeps popping into my head. We took a Model 3 LR RWD for a test drive and love it, but the space is lacking and $50K is a lot of coin. The SR+ is closer to my price range but the range isn't quite enough with my heavy foot and heavy HVAC use.

Originally Posted by The Critic

I have been looking at cars in the $40K range (+/- $5K) and the Tesla keeps popping into my head. We took a Model 3 LR RWD for a test drive and love it, but the space is lacking and $50K is a lot of coin. The SR+ is closer to my price range but the range isn't quite enough with my heavy foot and heavy HVAC use.

Michael, hang on and get the Model Y...

Last edited:

Don't forget to factor in fuel savings. It adds up over time. It may not account for a $10k difference in price, but may approach $5k depending on location, whatever ICE car you're considering, and how long you expect to keep it.

And there's maintenance costs to factor in as well. The Tesla is cheap to maintain and brutally simple from a powertrain standpoint.

Last edited:

Don't forget to factor in fuel savings. It adds up over time. It may not account for a $10k difference in price, but may approach $5k depending on location, whatever ICE car you're considering, and how long you expect to keep it.

And there's maintenance costs to factor in as well. The Tesla is cheap to maintain and brutally simple from a powertrain standpoint.

What are electricity costs in your area?
They are over .20/kwh here.

What are electricity costs in your area?
They are over .20/kwh here.

Wow that's high. We're at $0.12/kWh.

The Critic and I are in SF Bay Area, which has some of the highest rates in the nation, if I am not mistaken.
And only going up... I hear peak might hit 40 cents, dunno for sure.
Solar made sense for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back