75w140 Differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck in sig recommends 4oz of limited slip additive in the rear differential, which from my research, Valvoline Synpower already has mixed in it

Total capacity is 2.5 qts

Should I go with the valvoline?

For a few bucks more, I can get Redline 75w140, does this already have the limited slip additive in it?
Any experiences from anyone for either product or another product?

Redline: https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-579...mp;psc=1&refRID=090M19MVSZQEESHJT273

Valvoline: https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-75...560500259&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Thx

Also: Any Schaeffers reps on here know if they do or eventually are going to come out with a 75w140?

Last edited:
You certainly can't go wrong with the Valvoline.
smile.gif

I used the Valvoline 75W140 w/ XL-3 in the 9.25 in my Ford which lead to slipping of the clutch pack which now needs to be replaced. I had no issues with M1 75W140 without the XL-3 however. I would personally add the recommended additive no matter what gear oil you use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Just curious why this truck needs 75w140 not 75w90?

75W90 is used a lot for FF for nothing more than CAFE ratings
With OP living in Texas and the heat of summer
I'd change to 75W140 and plan on doing the same to my truck in about 4K more miles
If synthetic is important to OP
Amsoil servere gear is a good choice
Use it In my Mustang and works great

Gumbyjarvis
What brand of truck are we talking about ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LubeFiner
kstanf150: Have you tried RP's Max Gear? I preferred that over the AMS Severe Gear in my '07 Express 2500hd.

I've never used RP products of any kind.
It's just me I suppose but I've never bought into the RP marketing

Originally Posted by kstanf150

I'd change to 75W140 and plan on doing the same to my truck in about 4K more miles

Gumbyjarvis

Ram 1500 2WD in sig.

No issues now with the differential. Just need something to do lol

I just bought a case of the Amsoil 75W-110 for my fleet (except for the 2 Transfer Cases) but I bought in the the bottles to save money BUT I saved
one of the squeezable Amsoil 75W-90 bags to pour the 75w-110 into. I think I saved $2 per bottle or $24 a case buying it in the bottle.

Now, it may not be worth it to most of you making a messy transfer like this. Getting a funnel and pouring the bottle into the squeezable and dripping the smelly stuff here and there. Trust me, it could be messy.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

Gumbyjarvis

Ram 1500 2WD in sig.

Well, you have been helping me with my clothing issues..
05.gif

GumbyJarvis......

RED LINE 75W140 GL-5 Gear Oil

Popular for cars and light trucks like Ford Mustang and F-150, Toyota Tundra and Sequoia, Jeep Cherokee and Dodge RAM Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required
This product is not designed for use in most manual transmissions or transaxles, since the extreme slipperiness may cause synchronizer mesh issues that lead to shifting problems
Recommended for API GL-5, GL-6, MT-1, MIL-L-2105E and SAE J2360

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

Gumbyjarvis

Ram 1500 2WD in sig.

I'm on the same page with ya
I do a lot of therapy work on my vehicles
I overkill my maintenance work but I love it

I see your a Ram guy, but if you want a really good friction modifier for you LS diff
The Ford Racing friction mod is some dam good stuff
Works great !!ðŸ‘

If a person can honestly claim to hitting be 100 F ambient on occasion during the summer, I think they are rightfully entitled to use 75w140. Killeen, Texas falls into that category. www.weatherspark.com
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Redline for sure, prolly the best being a real synthetic lube. in my 11 nissan frontier with a dana-nissan 60 rear nissan uses a semi-syn 75-140, research shows a 75-90 real synthetic recommended + since i live in Pa + only do some yearly light coal hauling i put in the 75-90, redline has the middle ground covered with a 75-110 what mola recommended or of course theres the 75-140. i changed all my drivetrain lubes in my preowned frontier with under 30 thou on it + gained 3 mpg's!!! well worth the xtra cost while getting great protection IMO!!

So would it be safe to assume in Florida using a 75w140 in my f150 that tows a lot would be a good viscosity choice when it comes time?

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
So would it be safe to assume in Florida using a 75w140 in my f150 that tows a lot would be a good viscosity choice when it comes time?

I would say so, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back