Nissan Versa. Good kid car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Java- Yes indeed the intake has to come off, but it looks like a simple job. That job doesn't scare me in the least.

sw99- Good to know and yes, if you want a Versa S model with the old 4spd AT, it's gotta be a 2017 or older. How has your 2016 been treating you overall?

I love it. It's simply a tool that gets the job done. The only thing I miss is cruise control. Best tank mileage was 42.5 hand calculated. My summer average is 38-40. Bought it new and now have 46K problem free miles. Maybe I'll keep my out for another low mileage 2017. Thanks

Picked up the new to us 2015 Versa 1.6 S today. To me it's awesome, but this is coming from someone familiar with econo cars from decades ago. The front is roomy enough and the back seat is just like all the reviews say.. HUGE. It's a very easy car to get in/out of, with a high roof line as well, which is a welcome thing in the sedan realm IMO. The 4 speed auto is great. I was wrong in my above statement. Even though the Nissan factory service manual makes no mention of it, the 4spd does indeed have the dummy dipstick with the tab lock cap on it. It's not easy to get at, but it's there. I'll do some suck out and refills on it soon.

It was on "E" when I got it (imaging that). Have to love a $25 fillup. It's a 10g tank and took just over 8gal.

Originally Posted by JTK
It was on "E" when I got it (imaging that). Have to love a $25 fillup. It's a 10g tank and took just over 8gal.

Surprised the dealer (if you bought it from one) didn't fill up the tank for you. Congrats on the new car.
thumbsup2.gif

edit: oops, just the post above....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sw99
I don't think I'll even consider a Versa again if the 4 speed auto is not offered.
Get the 5speed manual & get larger diameter tires on the drive wheels. If you drive mountains, you'll perform better than the slug 4spd auto & get better MPG to boot. Our two Hyundai Elantra 6spd. auto & manual cars, show the advantages of manuals over automatics.

As far as I know, all later model Versas are equipped with 4 wheel ABS. I'm not sure that system would play nice with different diameter tires front to back. I personally wouldn't want a MT in this vehicle. I feel as though the 4spd AT is perfect for it. I really enjoy this little car. My driving age kids do to. Funny how they're freaked out and confused by no power windows or locks and no key FOB.

As for the spark plug change, I undid the manifold and left all coolant lines and emission hoses attached. I slid the manifold to the left as far as possible and did the 2 right spark plugs, then slid the manifold to the right and did the 2 left spark plugs. It was not as bad as described by others and a lot quicker.

^ Good tip! Thank you.

I'm not sure if all the 1.6s are like this, but two of the coils/plugs can be swapped with the IM in place. They're right out in the open. The 2 to the right, when looking under the hood.

I just got done busting my knuckles up defeating the stupid locking cap on the dummy ATF dipstick. I had to move a wire harness and remove some of the air cleaner plumbing. Not only was the locking tab a pain, but the O-ring was not lubed at all, so it was stuck in the tube. Wonderful Nissan decided to give the old RE4F03B 4spd AT the same type of dummy tube with the locking cap somewhere around 2014.

I knew someone that had one and it was a POS. My son's girlfriend rolled one and got hurt badly. I would always avoid bottom of the line junk like this.

Got some copies of the ignition key made today. The locksmith didn't believe me that the key didn't contain a chip on a 2015 vehicle and checked. Sure enough. No chip. $3/ea for some keys.

Originally Posted by JTK
Got some copies of the ignition key made today. The locksmith didn't believe me that the key didn't contain a chip on a 2015 vehicle and checked. Sure enough. No chip. $3/ea for some keys.

Feels good, doesn't it? When I got my '99 I went out and made some keys... for something like $1.50 each. Wowzer.

I wonder if the dome light has a dimming feature, or if it's hardwired to the door switch. That was a step into past, wasn't expecting that. On my '99 Camry that is. 90's econobox for the win!

Originally Posted by JTK

01.gif

That is awesome! Glad to hear there's a new car with keys that don't cost $300 each
happy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back