SN-Plus VS Dexos1-GEN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is better at eliminating LSPI, IVD and turbocharger coking?

Assuming only one could be chosen over the other..

Originally Posted by yowps3

Assuming you dont breathe air which would kill you first, snakebite or a nuclear bomb 10miles away.

Most/all D1G2 oil should be api SN+ so you never have to choose.

Chrysler MS-13340 is a similar spec(gdi turbo lspi) for the 2.0t engine
however only Pennzoil Platinum has that spec so its not much help unless you are a PP fan.

API SN+ isnt as stringent as d1g2 or chrysler ms-13340
However API SN+ has a wider viscosity range than D1G2
and D1G2 is a paid spec.. they have to pay GM to put it on the bottle.

so there may be other reasons why an oil is api sn+ but not d1g2, you cant automatically assume its inferior.

Originally Posted by Rand

Assuming you dont breathe air which would kill you first, snakebite or a nuclear bomb 10miles away.

Any D1G2 oil should be api SN+ so you never have to choose.
Chrysler MS-13340 is also a similar spec for the 2.0t engine
however only Pennzoil Platinum has that spec so its not much help unless you are a PP fan.

This is what I was wondering. Is it possible to even get one without covering the other?

Originally Posted by Floyd1
Originally Posted by Rand

Any D1G2 oil should be api SN+ so you never have to choose.
Chrysler MS-13340 is also a similar spec for the 2.0t engine

This is what I was wondering. Is it possible to even get one without covering the other?

Well, one difference I know off the top of my head is that the max Noack loss for d1G2 is 13% while it is 15% for SN+.
So, an oil could meet SN+ but fail for d1G2 on the basis of that measurement.
It is also my understanding that SN+ doesn't include a turbo deposit test like d1G2 does.
I guess I might be a tad suspicious of an oil that is SN+ and not d1G2 UNLESS it is a grade that is not covered by d1G2...like the 10W30 I am running now.
This is the first non-d1G2 oil I have run since I bought a bottle of M1 5W30 AP because it was the only oil on the WM shelf that had a d1G2 license number! Didn't say Gen 2 on the front because the standard was not "live" yet...Gen 2 is a superset of dexos1 so it met the standard claimed on the bottle by default.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I guess I might be a tad suspicious of an oil that is SN+ and not d1G2 UNLESS it is a grade that is not covered by d1G2...like the 10W30 I am running now.

An oil manufacturer may not want to pay the dexos royalties on their SN+ oil... and regardless, dexos is only "required" by GM. You have to make the personal choice of this; with a 5 year old vehicle either SN+ or d1G2 will exceed your engine's oil requirements.

OP, by adding what engine you are talking about, you will likely get better recommendations than just the nebulous question you asked.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Correct me if I am wrong but a 10w30 can be SN+ but not D1G2. Also, lower calcium is a big player with SN+.

Yeah, my M1 10W30 HM I am running now cannot be d1G2 by the definition of the standard...but it is SN+.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

An oil manufacturer may not want to pay the dexos royalties on their SN+ oil... and regardless, dexos is only "required" by GM. You have to make the personal choice of this; with a 5 year old vehicle either SN+ or d1G2 will exceed your engine's oil requirements.
OP, by adding what engine you are talking about, you will likely get better recommendations than just the nebulous question you asked.

I guess I don't really trust Subaru's oil recommendations after they had to recall the FA20DIT engines due to LSPI as well as carbon buildup issues...I only got new plugs and a new ECU program, but some people had engine damage and many others got a free chemical cleaning (no walnut blasting AFAIK). I had already been running M1 5W30 for some time and was glad for it...I'm sure Subaru changed the engines to run a little richer at LSPI danger points as I understand that is supposed to help prevent it, but I'm still going to do whatever I reasonably can to limit the chance of LSPI with my maintenance choices. I don't think Subaru ever updated their oil recommendations for the FA20DIT, unlike GM which was calling out either AC Delco or M1 5W30 specifically after their 1.5l DIT debacle (I would imagine since changed to d1G2).
Like you said, personal choice...I'm sure plenty have people have been putting whatever they want in FA20DITs with no issues.

As evidenced by my present oil, I'm fine with SN+ alone...I just think that I might shy away from a 5W30 that was only SN+ and not d1G2, it would be so easy to get a 5W30 with both.

d1g2

You know that d1g2 encompasses SN+, right?
smirk2.gif

You might also want to consider dexos2 if you desire a thicker oil. dexos2 is like C3 and is used for all GM cars in Europe, gas/petrol and diesel. In the US, GM only uses dexos2 for the Cruze diesel and C7 Corvette

Didn't some experts say in Europe they don't have/use d1g2 or d2 and they have no lspi issues?
I think they use thicker and/or higher hths oil!

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Didn't some experts say in Europe they don't have/use d1g2 or d2 and they have no lspi issues?

On the contrary - GM brands here issued a service bulletin a while back requiring certain gasoline-engined cars to use dexos1g2 to mitigate LSPI. This was slightly inconvenient as most oils here were dexos2, with few d1g2 options available.

Both options have LSPI testing - GM uses the GMOD, and SN+ uses the Sequence IX which is a Ford engine.

Eliminating LSPI is an interesting part of this question. Lubrizol has been out in the market talking about LSPI protection on used oil (both the tests only
look at LSPI protection on new oil).
Lubrizol Podcast on LSPI

Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by OilUzer

On the contrary - GM brands here issued a service bulletin a while back requiring certain gasoline-engined cars to use dexos1g2 to mitigate LSPI. This was slightly inconvenient as most oils here were dexos2, with few d1g2 options available.

VERY interesting info...thank you!
I have been guessing that we haven't heard much about problems with DIT engines using A3/B4 oils because of the higher ZDDP levels, as that additive is a strong LSPI quencher...but that it is only a guess.

Originally Posted by Solarent
Both options have LSPI testing - GM uses the GMOD, and SN+ uses the Sequence IX which is a Ford engine.
Eliminating LSPI is an interesting part of this question. Lubrizol has been out in the market talking about LSPI protection on used oil (both the tests only
look at LSPI protection on new oil).
Lubrizol Podcast on LSPI

The updated -B1 Ford oil specs also include an LSPI test in a 2.0l EcoBoost, but I don't know how that test compares to the SN+ one.

Originally Posted by Solarent
The 2.0L Ecoboost is the same engine in the Sequence IX.

Thanks...do you know if the actual LSPI tests are similar between SN+ and the -B1s?

I have been guessing that we haven't heard much about problems with DIT engines using A3/B4 oils because of the higher ZDDP levels, as that additive is a strong LSPI quencher...but that it is only a guess.

Are all the A3/B4 oils low Calcium (-1100) and high Magnesium (+500)?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Are all the A3/B4 oils low Calcium (-1100) and high Magnesium (+500)?

I have seen a number of VOAs for M1 0W40 FS A3/B4 and they have all been very high in calcium (maybe 2800 ppm) and had little magnesium. I believe the M1 0W40 formulation before that was similar.
I think Castrol 0W40 A3/B4 is quite a bit lower than M1 in calcium but I'm not completely sure of that.

There was a summary of oil additive effects on LSPI from one of the additive makers (Infineum??) that showed a plot with the occurrence of LSPI really plummeting as the ZDDP concentration was swept not far beyond the typical SN/GF5 levels...I actually bought a bottle of Rislone ZDDP additive and was adding a bit at every change before d1G2 came along! Yes, I know I'm ridiculous...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back