PIAA twin magnet oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Amazon sells them for about 37 bucks each. Whew!!

Originally Posted by Bud
Saw Amazon sells them for about 37 bucks each. Whew!!

Hopefully Magnefine will take the cue and start making them.

I thought about running the PIAA filter on one of my cars. Currently I'm running the Power Enterprise oil filter from Japan.

For $37 you could just get some cheap neodymium magnets and stick them to the filter plus they're reuseable

$37 is the marked up price by a 3rd party reseller.

Retail on Amazon Japan is $13.60USD

I was going to buy a couple and have them sent via a forwarding service but the efficiency didn't seem better than the standard WIX filter I'm running now.

The promo video shows that it has two types of media inside, one filtering 10 microns and the other 20 microns. Efficiency percentages are not provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zczI3MhrORg

I found on Instagram a video of one being cut open:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPbzgscj98n/

He then posted the metals found inside the magnet, but I bet its full because of the way he opened it
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPbzsZYDTe1/

On Amazon Japan, there's a review with a more realistic photo of the amount of metals the magnet caught after an OCI:
[Linked Image]

Interesting:

There is no sealing between the elements correct? Meaning some percentage of the oil randomly flows through each element?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Interesting:

There is no sealing between the elements correct? Meaning some percentage of the oil randomly flows through each element?

Correct, there's no sealing between the elements.

Someone from a Russian oil club forum wrote this (translated):

40% of the surface - 10 microns, 60% of the surface - 20 μR. The flow is one. It is easier for the oil to pass through the 20 μcr paper, we find that approximately 80% of the oil is filtered at once for 20 μm, and only the remaining 20% ​​of the oil passes through 10 μm.

It turns out that the filter takes in only a small part of the impurities of the 10-20 micron fraction and completely more than 20 microns.

I'm kind of curious to get a particle UOA to compare this filter to WIX (50% @ 6 microns and 95% @ 20 microns)

Seems like it's the only way to figure out if this filter is pure marketing or if they're onto something

Originally Posted by michael007
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Interesting:

Correct, there's no sealing between the elements.

Someone from a Russian oil club forum wrote this (translated):

40% of the surface - 10 microns, 60% of the surface - 20 μR. The flow is one. It is easier for the oil to pass through the 20 μcr paper, we find that approximately 80% of the oil is filtered at once for 20 μm, and only the remaining 20% ​​of the oil passes through 10 μm.

It turns out that the filter takes in only a small part of the impurities of the 10-20 micron fraction and completely more than 20 microns.

That's basically the same way the Microgreen filters work ... the flow rate through the fine filtering disc is much lower than the flow through the main element.

I have one of these filters, I bought for initial break in filter duty on a Suzuki engine.

Would anyone be interested in seeing it cut open? I think mine is specifically an HKS branded one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back