Mobil 1 0w-20 EP, 7994 miles, '16 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

According to Blackstone the universal averages for the Honda 2.4 liter Earth Dreams DI engine are based on approximately 8000 miles, so I made this change as close to that mark as possible. The vehicle was purchased just a little over a year ago as Honda Certified Pre-Owned. Sample #1 was whatever the dealer used when certifying the vehicle. Samples #2 and 3 are both M1 0w-20 Extended Performance. I was a bit worried after sample #2, but the engine seems to have come around. Presently there is M1 5w-30 EP in the sump, but these results are encouraging enough to swith back to 0w-20 for the winter months.

So much for those who claim that high fuel dilution is a problem with Honda DI engines.
Your UOAs again show this not to be the case.
Where was the MM (IOLM) when you did these drains?
I'm guessing around 5% but would love to hear what you actually saw.
This engine appears not to suffer from the use of a 0W-20 grade oil, so I don't know why you'd want to buy more gas to use a 5W-30.
Yes, this will necessarily happen and it's not as though the engine and the car it's installed in are going to last forever anyway.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Where was the MM (IOLM) when you did these drains? I'm guessing around 5% but would love to hear what you actually saw.
Very good question fdcg27. I believe that the OLM was at about 5% on sample #1 with 9240 miles. It ran past 0% by about 350 miles on sample #2 at 10,101 miles. It was at 20% on sample #3 and had been there for 300-400 miles. Let's call it 16% by means of extrapolation. This vehicle runs 100 miles per work day, most of that at highway speeds.

Something I forgot to mention was that the air filter was changed at the time of sample #2 using your basic Fram filter from Wally World. Note the rather significant drop in Silicon.

The present fill is M1 5-w30 EP with a M1 110A filter. I plan to run this 10-12k miles unless there is some noticeable reason not to.

Does Honda actually call for synthetic oil in the manual? The reason I am asking because I am wondering if the oil monitor is calibrated for regular or synthetic fill? We have CRV that uses the same engine...

Originally Posted by ym42
Does Honda actually call for synthetic oil in the manual? The reason I am asking because I am wondering if the oil monitor is calibrated for regular or synthetic fill? We have CRV that uses the same engine...
I believe that all 0w-20 oil is synthetic. That is to say that I've never actually seen a conventional 0w-20 oil on a store shelf.

So much for those who claim that high fuel dilution is a problem with Honda DI engines.

I don't think I've ever read where this (2.4) motor had dilution issues. The Honda 1.5T is a vastly different story.

Originally Posted by wemay

I don't think I've ever read where this (2.4) motor had dilution issues. The Honda 1.5T is a vastly different story.

This. The 1.5L EarthDreams motor is a fuel dilution nightmare. There was an interesting article I just read about a guy who is being bullied by a honda dealership saying the issue is that he's not driving the car enough.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/0...i-not-welcome-joliet-dealership-invoice/

Last edited:
Oil has definitely thinned down to the bottom of a 20-grade. I'd say that is causing excessive piston wear (relatively high Al)

I'd move up to a 30-weight to counter this, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Oil has definitely thinned down to the bottom of a 20-grade. I'd say that is causing excessive piston wear (relatively high Al)
If you compare this latest sample to the universal averages, you will see that both Al and Fe are in line with the universal averages.
Originally Posted by addyguy
I'd move up to a 30-weight to counter this, but that's just me.
I mentioned in the original post that I had done precisely that, but this latest sample seems to suggest that it may not have been necessary. The thought of using M1 5w-20 EP has crossed my mind because of the higher Zinc content. The 5w-30 in there now also has the higher Zinc content, so we will see what if any impact that has 5-6 months from now. The choice for the next oil change leaves me with something of a dilemma, as it comes down to choosing either PAO or ZDDP.

Honda has/had a 0/20 blend IIRC.

Flash point suggest fuel might be higher than the estimate.

Still - nothing wrong with the latest results, the question is: Why the disparity in the two results?

I predict the 5/30 does little different from the 0/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back