Cleaning Aluminum Intake Ports - Off Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for any tips on cleaning intake ports on an aluminum intake manifold that is off the vehicle.
I saw a few online videos of using oven cleaner and pressure washer.

Would it be worth it to see what your local shop would charge to throw it in their parts cleaner?

I would be concerned about oven cleaner. Doesn't that stuff usually contain sodium hydroxide and that's bad for aluminium, no??? How about simple green or engine degreaser/brake parts cleaner??? I believe Gumout has a spray cleaner w/PEA.

Last edited:
I've seen videos of heavy carbon being burned out with a torch and a blast of compressed air.

Light deposits that don't obstruct the flow are always going to be there, you can leave them alone.

How many threads is this poor Explorer going to generate?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378

I hope I am not leaning on you guys too much. These are all things I have not done before and the input I get from the forums usually will at least give me some insight of things not to do so I don't make stupid mistakes and make good decisions.
I come and go in phases...Once done with all this, I will be quiet till the next problem arises
smile.gif
I have an old Suburban too, but it hasn't really given me any major problems yet.
You all have been amazingly helpful.

Originally Posted by Fitz98
Originally Posted by mk378

I hope I am not leaning on you guys too much. These are all things I have not done before and the input I get from the forums usually will at least give me some insight of things not to do so I don't make stupid mistakes and make good decisions.
I come and go in phases...Once done with all this, I will be quiet till the next problem arises
smile.gif
I have an old Suburban too, but it hasn't really given me any major problems yet.
You all have been amazingly helpful.

Absolutely no reason to do that. I like hearing from you guy's.ðŸ‘

Besides, the only truly stupid question is the one not asked. ...

Last edited:
This has the feel of, just because you can does it mean you should? There has to be something less caustic...but hey, it's your car so do what you want but I think you should Google using sodium hydroxide (oven cleaner) on aluminum. I wasn't a chemistry major but I do know caustic soda will etch and pit aluminum fairly quick.

If you're intent on using it, I'd say keep some vinegar close by to neutralize and water to rinse. Good luck...

Last edited:
I've used mineral spirits to clean Al intakes before, along with a long bristtle brush. I believe the brush I used may have been intended to clean out stray lint from the lint trap of a clothes drier. Not positive on that, I just saw it in a store and thought "hey this would be perfect for cleaning out intake runners".

When I did the intake on my 4.6 Mustang:

1) Power washer
2) then Dawn soap and bottle brushes
3) power washer again
4) oven cleaner
5) power washer again
6) leaf blower

I would use a tupperware container large enough to submerge it, HOT water and Citric acid, Citric acid is available in the canning section at Walmart. It is also sold at farm stores and used to passivate water lines for livestock. I have used it (on car) with distilled water to clean cooling systems (with aluminum intake and radiator). It's cheap, it works well, and you can even put it in water (with sugar and/or flavoring) and drink it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Bulk-Citric-Acid-420g-Bottle/810055182?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2694&adid=22222222227159047153&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=269426531969&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-449459356555&wl5=9022898&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=810055182&wl13=2694&veh=sem

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
This has the feel of, just because you can does it mean you should? There has to be something less caustic...but hey, it's your car so do what you want but I think you should Google using sodium hydroxide (oven cleaner) on aluminum. I wasn't a chemistry major but I do know caustic soda will etch and pit aluminum fairly quick.

If you're intent on using it, I'd say keep some vinegar close by to neutralize and water to rinse. Good luck...
Lots of things damage aluminum, like vinegar. You just have to be careful.

What? No. Do not spray over cleaner into an assembled engine.

If you have a disassembled cylinder head casting, then it MIGHT be OK, but I'm not sure if want oven cleaner near valve stem seals and valve seats.

I think I'm just going to change my opinion to "no".

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Lots of things damage aluminum, like vinegar. You just have to be careful.

Aluminum will react to both acids and bases. Using vinegar is a much "safer" alternative than say, sodium hydroxide. That's because acetic acid is less chemically reactivate in a solution than sodium hydroxide (lye) which is considered a strong base (very chemically reactivate). It would take vinegar much longer to break down the protective oxidative layer on aluminium than a more chemically reactivate sodium hydroxide. pH isn't the only thing that determines what is a "strong" base or acid. Ammonia for example has a relatively high pH at 11 but is considered a mild base because it's not very reactivate. Like acetic acid, most of it's ions don't disassociate in a solution. Which is why you can use vinegar or ammonia to clean a myriad of surface (materials) safely.

I personally would be more inclined to use vinegar than a lye solution. But I would try to get most of that crud off first with elbow grease and a good degreaser, so the vinegar doesn't have to spend so much time in contact with the aluminum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back