Parents looking for new small SUV...help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents have asked me to help them find a good small SUV. They currently have a 2005 mini van with around 175K miles that may need to be replaced soon, so they are looking. I recommended the Toyota RAV4 as a top pick for reliability, which is high on their (and my) list. They would not be looking at the new 2019 model, but most likely a 2015-2018. Are there any problems to look out for with this model? I don't know a whole lot about the Toyota line up, but I know the RAV4 of that era has the 2.5 and 6 speed auto, which I presume is as reliable as they come now-a-days.

I am not really interested in the Honda CRV as from 2015-2016 (can't remember) they are equipped with the CVT. Again, we are looking for something rock solid reliable so the CVT is out.

Another possibility is the Mazda CX-5. I know about these as well, only that they have a standard stepped automatic and 2.5 N/A engine.

Hyundai / Kia is out of the mix as well due to 2.4 engine problems. Yes, I understand Hyundai "fixed" the issue back in 2015 or so, but problems keep happening though not as common.

So, what say the BITOG crowd?

Can't go wrong with the Toyota. It's a best seller for a reason.

The Mazda CX-5 is a great choice as well. It will come down to their personal needs. Ours is very comfortable and in fact just got back from six hours of driving. 2018 was the first year for cylinder deactivation for the SkyActiv engine if that might be a concern. I haven't heard of any issues.

Subaru would be another choice to consider.

Originally Posted by PimTac

The Mazda CX-5 is a great choice as well. It will come down to their personal needs. Ours is very comfortable and in fact just got back from six hours of driving. 2018 was the first year for cylinder deactivation for the SkyActiv engine if that might be a concern. I haven't heard of any issues.

I know at one point the Mazdas were having issues with water pump failure, and/or the water pump was sandwiched in a bad spot and required engine removal to fix. Is this still the case?

I do believe the Subaru Forester has a CVT, so it would be out of the equation if that is the case. Will have to look into that.

Originally Posted by gregk24

I know at one point the Mazdas were having issues with water pump failure, and/or the water pump was sandwiched in a bad spot and required engine removal to fix. Is this still the case?

I do believe the Subaru Forester has a CVT, so it would be out of the equation if that is the case. Will have to look into that.

Was that water pump issue pre-SkyActiv? I haven't heard anything like that in recent years.

The Forester does have a CVT.

My Ford Escape has been an excellent car and you should take a look at one. HOWEVER, AVOID THE 1.5 ECOBOOST ENGINE.

Yo... PimTac... By any chance, do you know if my 2.5L, 2018 Mazda3 has cylinder deactivation? If it does, I sure as heck cannot tell when it goes from 2 to 4 and back. Seriously... it seems perfectly smooth all the time. Do you know under what circumstances it kicks in?

Thanks

Ray C.

OP: Sorry for the intrusion on your thread. FWIW, I vote for the CX-5. Two friends at work liked my Mazda 3 hatchback but since they had kids, they got the CX5 and love it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RayCJ

Yo... PimTac... By any chance, do you know if my 2.5L, 2018 Mazda3 has cylinder deactivation? If it does, I sure as heck cannot tell when it goes from 2 to 4 and back. Seriously... it seems perfectly smooth all the time. Do you know under what circumstances it kicks in?

Thanks

Ray C.

OP: Sorry for the intrusion on your thread. FWIW, I vote for the CX-5. Two friends at work liked my Mazda 3 hatchback but since they had kids, they got the CX5 and love it.

Yes it does. It goes from 4 cylinders to two when the engine is at cruising speed and other data points the computer determines such as load, going up or downhill, etc.

I brought it up because some here get nervous with this kind of tech. I'm not sure how much improvement in fuel economy it brings. Today my highway average was 33.4mpg. I'm happy with that.

Originally Posted by miden851
I'd look at Honda HR-V too

I like the HR-V/CR-Vs but Honda needs to get the fuel dilution under control.

Tiguan, Rav 4, or CX-5 would be my vote.

I'll echo what PimTac said. We narrowed our selection down to the rav 4 and the cx-5. the back seats were slightly better in the mazda. I would have no problem with the Rav 4. The cx-5 was a bit quieter and rode better. But i had no beef if we had chosen the Rav.

Our mazda is a 17 so its before cyl deactivation. We are happy overall.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Thanks

Ray C.

Yes it does. It goes from 4 cylinders to two when the engine is at cruising speed and other data points the computer determines such as load, going up or downhill, etc.
I brought it up because some here get nervous with this kind of tech. I'm not sure how much improvement in fuel economy it brings. Today my highway average was 33.4mpg. I'm happy with that.

Much thanks....

Well I'll be darned. Like I said, I cannot tell if it's switching back & forth. I don't run in "Sport" mode very often so, I'll assume it's more likely to go into deactivation while in non-sport mode.

... Anyhow, my friends at work have the CX-5 and they are very pleased with their fuel economy. I'm getting around 35 in the Mazda3 now that weather is warmed up. Was getting low 30's in the winter. 33.5 for a CX5 seems pretty good because its much heavier and has more wind resistance. You must be an attentive driver. Take Care...

OK OP: I'm done lifting my leg on your post. Sorry 'bout that.

Ray

Was that water pump issue pre-SkyActiv? I haven't heard anything like that in recent years.

The Forester does have a CVT.
I'm also interested in the CX-5, and am hoping that the water pump issue mentioned pertains only to the timing-chain-driven internal WP on the 1st-gen CX-9 (which used the Ford 3.5 and 3.7 V6). The Ford engines were not used after MY 2015 - like PacTim, I haven't heard of it being an issue on the SkyActiv engines.

There are lots of good options. Go to a couple dealers, test drive a few, and find out what they like (not what you like). Then let them make the decision.

My parents have asked me to help them find a good small SUV. They currently have a 2005 mini van with around 175K miles that may need to be replaced soon, so they are looking. I recommended the Toyota RAV4 as a top pick for reliability, which is high on their (and my) list. They would not be looking at the new 2019 model, but most likely a 2015-2018. Are there any problems to look out for with this model? I don't know a whole lot about the Toyota line up, but I know the RAV4 of that era has the 2.5 and 6 speed auto, which I presume is as reliable as they come now-a-days.

I am not really interested in the Honda CRV as from 2015-2016 (can't remember) they are equipped with the CVT. Again, we are looking for something rock solid reliable so the CVT is out.

Another possibility is the Mazda CX-5. I know about these as well, only that they have a standard stepped automatic and 2.5 N/A engine.

Hyundai / Kia is out of the mix as well due to 2.4 engine problems. Yes, I understand Hyundai "fixed" the issue back in 2015 or so, but problems keep happening though not as common.

So, what say the BITOG crowd?

Toyota or Mazda would be fine IMO. From car shows, Mazda would be the fun to drive one, Toyota would be fine just less exciting.

Originally Posted by MParr
My Ford Escape has been an excellent car and you should take a look at one. HOWEVER, AVOID THE 1.5 ECOBOOST ENGINE.

Zero problems with our 2017 Ford Escape 2.0t AWD. There are 3 engines available in 17-up Escapes- 1.5 Ecoboost , 2.5 NA and 2.0 Ecoboost . The 2.0 seems to be the favorite.
There are also 3 tire sizes depending on model- 17 inch, 18 inch and 19 inch. I have the 19 inch which seems to be the ride and handling favorite, but replacement tires would cost a bit more than the 17 or 18 inch. One other note- of all the small SUV, the Escape has the highest tow rating of 3500 lb.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken

Zero problems with our 2017 Ford Escape 2.0t AWD. There are 3 engines available in 17-up Escapes- 1.5 Ecoboost , 2.5 NA and 2.0 Ecoboost . The 2.0 seems to be the favorite.
There are also 3 tire sizes depending on model- 17 inch, 18 inch and 19 inch. I have the 19 inch which seems to be the ride and handling favorite, but replacement tires would cost a bit more than the 17 or 18 inch. One other note- of all the small SUV, the Escape has the highest tow rating of 3500 lb.

What's the big deal with the 1.5?
confused2.gif

We have a 2014 RAV4, daughter has a 2015 CX-5. Same trim level, both have 2.5s. NVH is the same, driving dynamics the same. Blindfolded you couldn't tell them apart by any parameter. The whole CX-5 is fun to drive thing is marketing. Maybe the CX-5 is better at extremely spirited driving, couldn't tell you, but who does that in a cute ute? I like them both, the 15 CX-5 has more tech than our '14 but same year examples 16-18 probably have the same gizmos. The ride was softened and more sound damping added to the RAV4 in 2015, ours has pretty loud road noise on certain kinds of pavement. We liked the interior of the RAV a bit better than the CX-5 at the time or we'd be driving a Mazda. We can do 8 hour trips in the RAV no problem.

rav4world.com is a pretty active owner site, lurk there and see what they're saying.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by rubberchicken

What's the big deal with the 1.5?
confused2.gif

I have no idea, I thought it was a well-regarded engine. The 2.0 L has 245 hp vs the 1.5 L 179hp, with about a 4% mpg hit. The 3500 lb tow rating is only available with the 2.0. The 2.5 non-turbo is only available with FWD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back