METALSLUG First ever oil filter cut open FL820s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
not a chance, im stick to that until fram add metal end cap to the OCOD filter.

And yet it is the metal end cap filters that are tearing. Honestly I'm over them, none of my cars use a filter with a metal end cap (most have none) and I've come to believe that's a good thing from what I've seen on here.

Look at my stash, i have 2 ultra . I do use ultra, but i lost interest on ultra after all. im thinking wix line from now.

You lost an interest for ultra why?
It doesn't make much sense, you're saying I'm not interested in an efficient filter yet I'm looking into using wix do/Napa platinum which is a decent one yet not even close to ultra efficiency-wise

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Manufacturing defect again like on so many brands. Reading your description it seems the hole first seen was at the seam, and the wide pleat was NOT torn until you pressed it with finger, correct? Some seams do have gap but there should be glue inside, check up to a light for a hole. I have pressed with finger a number of brands pleats and they tore, Baldwin for one which has sort of a soft thick media. Not excusing this one.
You have a 600 hp Mustang driving in Texas? How about the Ford Racing filter? From what I see here it is the best thing going for an engine like you have.

I do want give Ford racing FL820s a try. but for $20+ dollar oil filter... I think a wix xp or napa platium are better

I read other say about purolator BOSS, having some kind of issue about ADBV.... is that serious ? something need to be avoid ? after discount code at advance turn out to be under $11 everday price.

The Boss 99% efficiency at 40 microns. You get 99% plus efficiency from a TG at six dollars and change.

might be nothing new to you all, but its a big new for me.

Nothing like seeing it with your own eyes to make it real.

Could tearing of the media be a result of handling the oil soaked media while and after cutting them open?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Could tearing of the media be a result of handling the oil soaked media while and after cutting them open?

Read what he said about finding a hole, shown in the 4th photo, way down in the pleat seam. Sounds like he started pushing pleats around after that, and found that the media was weak and could tear easily.

So where did that blown out piece of media go? Inside the oiling system of course.

Any one want to guess how it turn out ? Tear or no tear ?

I bet it will be torn. I mean, we have to keep the streak going here, on EVERY FL-820S is GUARANTEED to be torn......"WINK, WINK"
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Manufacturing defect again like on so many brands. Reading your description it seems the hole first seen was at the seam, and the wide pleat was NOT torn until you pressed it with finger, correct? Some seams do have gap but there should be glue inside, check up to a light for a hole. I have pressed with finger a number of brands pleats and they tore, Baldwin for one which has sort of a soft thick media. Not excusing this one.
You have a 600 hp Mustang driving in Texas? How about the Ford Racing filter? From what I see here it is the best thing going for an engine like you have.

I do want give Ford racing FL820s a try. but for $20+ dollar oil filter... I think a wix xp or napa platium are better

I read other say about purolator BOSS, having some kind of issue about ADBV.... is that serious ? something need to be avoid ? after discount code at advance turn out to be under $11 everday price.

It's a tough one but MC filters do have the bypass on the correct end for Ford. The Boss, on some versions, have cuts in the adbv from the baseplate holes. The rubber is pressed into the base so there shouldn't be any leaking. Still not visually OK.

Since the filter didn't tear you may want to keep on using these if price is important. I'm no expert like some, but that's what I would do, and send MC pictures with an email asking them for advice.They are a bargain oil filter. Where is the hole? I saw the white spot and thought that was some debris. Good luck with finding oil filters. Wix and Fram also make racing filters.

Well I ain't no rocket doctor or a brain scientists however looking in the can there is evidence of grime dirt ect. I wouldn't be to worried because if it was clean that crap would have worked it's way into the engine which obviously is bad.Although I would live and learn don't use this filter again like a dog going back to eat his vomit.

Motorcraft/Ford won't respond. Others here tried contacting them before when they found torn MC filters, and all that was heard back was chirping crickets.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Enjoy guys I'm going drink beer.

Maybe it's time to reconsider your sig line of "NO FRAM OCOD " Orange Can Of DEATH"

wink.gif

Look at my stash, i have 2 ultra . I do use ultra, but i lost interest on ultra after all. im thinking wix line from now.

It's a good thought to use wix line from now on. They've shown to be maybe the most trouble free widley used filter brand around here.
That being said I have only ever had great results with motorcraft 910s. Always excellent

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Motorcraft/Ford won't respond. Others here tried contacting them before when they found torn MC filters, and all that was heard back was chirping crickets.

When a customer makes an inquiry and the response is silence that's your answer to go buy another brand of filter and vehicle too.

Ford products and customer service has been going down hill for some years now. I'd stay away. Most of the dealers are some of the worse you will find and
often times remind me of quick lube shops.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

When a customer makes an inquiry and the response is silence that's your answer to go buy another brand of filter and vehicle too.

Ford products and customer service has been going down hill for some years now. I'd stay away. Most of the dealers are some of the worse you will find and
often times remind me of quick lube shops.

The best plan is to avoid the Motorcraft FL820S oil filter. Sometimes the filter tears and in this case , the media blew out. Ford blew my report off. Therefore, I moved on.

Originally Posted by beanoil
A torn Purolator. No new news here.
I like the idea about drinking beer though.

Post of the week winner ^^^^^^^

lol.gif

Great job.. seriously.

Originally Posted by SlavaB

It doesn't make much sense, you're saying I'm not interested in an efficient filter yet I'm looking into using wix do/Napa platinum which is a decent one yet not even close to ultra efficiency-wise

Well Im type of guy that dont do " trend " " flavor of the month " " Band Wagon " type. I have to use and see it to myself and what I like the most, as for right now I like the wix the best, that how I felt. so im going to do with it.

stop by autozone today, first time seeing stp synthetic oil filter, look quiet interesting, the O ring is same color as the silicone ADBV.

There are usually good (technical) reasons why certain products "trend" or become a popular "band wagon" thing. You probably didn't believe Motorcraft filters tore either, until you "saw it for yourself".

There are usually good (technical) reasons why certain products "trend" or become a popular "band wagon" thing. You probably didn't believe Motorcraft filters tore either, until you "saw it for yourself".

I bet if ultra was $15-$20 price range, I dont care how efficiency they claim it to be , you wont ever heard no one talk about it here, I been here too long i know how it work. I seen " flavor of the month " filter or oils. come and go. Peoples here will go after the cheapest + better filter. As for right now ultra might be it, but I WARRANTY you, it will be another Pure One gold grip few years from now.

st0725-purolator-pure-one-grip-control-oil-filter-pl24457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As for right now ultra might be it, but I WARRANTY you, it will be another Pure One gold grip few years from now.

As long as reports of torn Purolator or Purolator made filters (like Motorcrafts, etc) keep showing up they will never be a favorite with people here. And even if the tearing stopped, it would probably take more than a few years for them to be popular here again.

You gonna buy more FL-820 filters? I don't think so, because that blown out media probably actually opened your eyes.

Well Im type of guy that dont do " trend " " flavor of the month " " Band Wagon " type. I have to use and see it to myself and what I like the most, as for right now I like the wix the best, that how I felt. so im going to do with it.

stop by autozone today, first time seeing stp synthetic oil filter, look quiet interesting, the O ring is same color as the silicone ADBV.

Well put Metalslug.

Originally Posted by Pinoak

Well put Metalslug.

Well, it might go over time, but as of now ultra is the best. We do know fram stands for their product, what about Chinese stp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back