What kind of oil does Carmax use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ls973800
Sorry, but Honda/Acura oil is NOT an Exxon/Mobil product. Phillips 66 has the contract to provide their oil at least until this year, 2019. Their relationship started in 2010.

Phillips 66 Honda/Acura Oil Provider

Hmm, did not know that, thought I had read it was Exxon/Mobil (maybe was reading really old posts?).
No biggie though, Phillips 66 is a decent oil as well. Hopefully the did follow the cap and use 5w-30, but even if 5w-20, it was cool weather and only in for ~45 days and 2000 easy miles.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
what if ...

It's futile to discuss, debate, etc with anyone that uses "what if" scenarios.

Seriously? That is your argument? Some people just don't get it...
33.gif

Pot, meet kettle

Your "argument" is based on "what if..." alone !

HM..................

What ever oil is used by whatever dealers when said used car is purchased - the motor will not blow up............
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Toros
Do they use bulk Dino, synthetic blend? Full syn?

Don't know but after spending 5 figures on a car, why not spend $30 soon after to change the oil to your liking if it will make you feel better?

It;'s called WASTE.'

Only on BITOG paranoid OCD.

Car has Clean new oil and filter.

Unless it starts making racket,

You are good.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

However- I coined a term on here it's a "BITOG MONEY FLUSH!"

Last edited:
what if ...

It's futile to discuss, debate, etc with anyone that uses "what if" scenarios.

Seriously? That is your argument? Some people just don't get it...
33.gif

Pot, meet kettle

Your "argument" is based on "what if..." alone !

My argument is based on the fact that there is a very real possibility that a used car place is going to put the incorrect oil in your car (if the car you bought needs a special oil that is) So to just blindly trust that a used car dealer is going to put the right oil in the car is foolish, and changing it out for the proper oil is the right way to go. I can't believe anyone would actually argue with me about this very real possibility.

Gotta jump back in.
It's called "knowing you have the correct oil". You can scrap the oil which is in there or save it for top-offs.
I've never had a jug of partially used, prematurely changed oil (incorrect or otherwise) sit around long.

A dealership did a head job on my BIL's car. It rattled upon startup. I drained it and filled it with Formula Shell of the correct weight and it did quiet the engine some.
The slightly used oil was given to my pal who's F-150 uses a bit of oil.

No waste and I felt like an oil guru for a couple of minutes.

Nobody got back to my question regarding the wholesomeness of the particular Carmax garage.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Does it have a store brand filter?
Most Carmax's I've been to seem to put Carquest filters on their vehicles, wouldn't surprise me if they got Carquest oil as well.

It's cartridge so no way to tell.

I already bought an OEM Toyota filter and the wrench that is Toyota /Lexus specific. Bought the car around 4/1. I figure I'll change the oil in July.... Might be a bit early but at about the 5k mark. Then 8-10k OCI from there on with a decent synthetic. Probably Valvoline.

I'm positive that Carmax doesn't use crap oil. Maybe 5W-30 when spec is 5w-20...that will hurt nothing for one oci.

It's cartridge so no way to tell.

Open it up and look??
I did that on my Santa Fe because I wanted to know what was put it. One of the benefits of cartridge filters. Now if the price would come down to where they should be...

edit: Oh, wait, you may have one of the funky bottom mounted Toyota cartridges?
If so, nevermind.

If it were me (and as I said, it was just a few months ago) I would just change it now and be done with it.
If you left whatever in there though, no damage will happen, just you will know for sure what is in there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Isn't Honda-Acura oil made by Idemitsu?

No, but they make oil for Mazda.

My argument is based on the fact that there is a very real possibility that a used car place is going to put the incorrect oil in your car (if the car you bought needs a special oil that is) So to just blindly trust that a used car dealer is going to put the right oil in the car is foolish, and changing it out for the proper oil is the right way to go. I can't believe anyone would actually argue with me about this very real possibility.

Maybe on a high performance vehicle like your vette you would have an argument. But on a Lexus that's easy on oil it's pure waste imo. If everyone changed their oil out so soon(meaning right after it was already changed) it would affect supply and prices would increase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver

Maybe on a high performance vehicle like your vette you would have an argument. But on a Lexus that's easy on oil it's pure waste imo. If everyone changed their oil out so soon(meaning right after it was already changed) it would affect supply and prices would increase.

I was speaking generally about used cars at many used car dealers not getting the correct oil needed, so I agree that in the case of the OP's Lexus, I'm sure he'd be ok with whatever oil Carmax used, but if it were me I'd still do a change because one of my motto's is "when in doubt, change it out"
laugh.gif

Don't know but after spending 5 figures on a car, why not spend $30 soon after to change the oil to your liking if it will make you feel better?

It;'s called WASTE.'

You are good.

Not saying I would, just that it would give the OP that warm and fuzzy feeling if they did.

Just run if for the OCI...I would imagine that it would be difficult to buy an oil nowadays that doesn't meet SN GF5 specs...Plus that is a liability that a dealership would have to incur if buying oil that does not meet spec.

Originally Posted by Kira
Gotta jump back in.
It's called "knowing you have the correct oil". You can scrap the oil which is in there or save it for top-offs.
I've never had a jug of partially used, prematurely changed oil (incorrect or otherwise) sit around long.

A dealership did a head job on my BIL's car. It rattled upon startup. I drained it and filled it with Formula Shell of the correct weight and it did quiet the engine some.
The slightly used oil was given to my pal who's F-150 uses a bit of oil.

No waste and I felt like an oil guru for a couple of minutes.

Nobody got back to my question regarding the wholesomeness of the particular Carmax garage.

Not to argue but how do we know whether or not quieter is better or worse mechanically?

Carmax, like any other dealership, hawks extended warranties and they also have a full service department with multiple bays. I'm quite sure they are not intentionally or negligently using inferior oil and filters. Also, I still have 8 months of Lexus factory warranty remaining. Additionally, I have accessed the service records as it was a corporate lease I saw the oil was changed twice by the previous owner. I bought the car cash with 22k on it. Carmax services all vehicles... One can argue that their multipoint checklist is not accurately followed by the techs., but I already changed the air filters, cabin and engine and as mentioned , the oil was new and is still new looking on the stick after 2500 miles of ownership. I'll change it myself at the 5-8k mark.

It;'s called WASTE.'

You are good.

Not saying I would, just that it would give the OP that warm and fuzzy feeling if they did.

He's paying for it, he gets to have whatever he wants of the oil he bought from the business.

And Honda seems to have switched to Conoco oils from Idemitsu, though Idemitsu used to make their oils for them. Idemitsu is the 2nd largest oil manufacturer in Japan, apparently.

My motto is " If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." I wouldn't drain a fresh oil change. If you are the type that would, what in the world are you doing buying a used car in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back