Curious if any issues here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Just all day?...... not at night too? Have you been there after midnight to check-out the price? Does Rural King raise the price when you turn off your bedroom light and hop in bed?

Gosh, here I was trying to behave and you post some drivel like that. RK closes at 9, and who really cares if they raise the price at night, because in the morning when they open... it's $2.99 again.

Do us all a favor and go kick your dog or something rather than posting like a tool.

Originally Posted by Bill_W
Originally Posted by SirTanon
Why not put a cheap oil filter on there, run it for a week or two, then drain it out?

While we're here, what exactly are you hoping to accomplish with a short flush with cheap oil that a normal OCI with a "better" oil won't accomplish?

The oil I want to use is Zepro with moly. I have Castrol Edge, which is a pretty good oil and recommended by Mazda. I was thinking about for the first oil change in my 2019 Miata I would try that to get all the break in nasties. Install the new filter before the flush. Since I am installing a Fumoto drain valve I can run a clean tube in to the jug and drain it in there. Fill the jug to top with oil and let any containment settle for next oil change. Kinda anal but like a mouthwash for my engine. While the car is on the jack stand should not take too long.

don't you trust the filter to have captured all these metal particles? Trust me, your flush is not going to do any better what normal running of the engine oil through the filter can do. It's a complete waste of time to do a flush.

Will that jug of oil be good to use for same purpose next oil change?

Do you use mouthwash and spit it out into a jar for reuse later?

Originally Posted by atikovi

Will that jug of oil be good to use for same purpose next oil change?

Do you use mouthwash and spit it out into a jar for reuse later?

🤢🤮

Not a bad looking oil especially for you RK guys at $2.99

C99691A5-0083-4D55-BB6A-477624B8D3C7.jpeg

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Why not put a cheap oil filter on there, run it for a week or two, then drain it out?

While we're here, what exactly are you hoping to accomplish with a short flush with cheap oil that a normal OCI with a "better" oil won't accomplish?

The oil I want to use is Zepro with moly. I have Castrol Edge, which is a pretty good oil and recommended by Mazda. I was thinking about for the first oil change in my 2019 Miata I would try that to get all the break in nasties. Install the new filter before the flush. Since I am installing a Fumoto drain valve I can run a clean tube in to the jug and drain it in there. Fill the jug to top with oil and let any containment settle for next oil change. Kinda anal but like a mouthwash for my engine. While the car is on the jack stand should not take too long.

At what vehicle mileage will that first oil change be at?
If you are changing that new oil at 1-2K, then there's no need for a flush soon after.

I have not figured that out yet. 1500 or 5000? I have 885 on it right now.

Originally Posted by philipp10

don't you trust the filter to have captured all these metal particles? Trust me, your flush is not going to do any better what normal running of the engine oil through the filter can do. It's a complete waste of time to do a flush.

Yes... Thank you. Got plenty of time on my hands. But appreciate your input. While the car is on jack stand the Fumoto drain valve with tube makes it easy. Hot oil back in the jug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by newbe46
Just curious why do you think the engine needs flushing?

Because it's a brand new engine, and like a lot of people, he wants to get more of the break in material out of there.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by newbe46
Just curious why do you think the engine needs flushing?

Because it's a brand new engine, and like a lot of people, he wants to get more of the break in material out of there.

Just change the factory oil and filter at 1000 to 1500 miles. Flushing is a waste of money and time and won't make any difference. If worried about particulate in the oil, use an efficient filter

On a Miata board they discussed something trivial... that when installing a Fumoto oil valve the oil drain will leave a little more old oil in the pan. Got me thinking... Once the oil valve is in place this is one way to get all the old oil out without too much effort. Yes, I did think about getting some cheap Supertech oil and a cheap filter and run it around the block but settled on an easy way with just one filter change and the Miata still up on jack stands.

Zee... I hung around the oil filter section a while till I got a feel for latest greatest filters. Settled on factory filters for a couple of reasons. Glass fibers have plus and minus and the big plus is high efficiency and high flow. Minus is glass fibers are bad for your oil system if they shed. And the factory filter is designed for the Skyactiv engine. I do appreciate your dedication to that forum and learned quite a bit from your input.

On a Miata board they discussed something trivial... that when installing a Fumoto oil valve the oil drain will leave a little more old oil in the pan. Got me thinking... Once the oil valve is in place this is one way to get all the old oil out without too much effort.

I doubt it's enough left in the oil pan to make any real difference, especially if you change oil regularly. An oil filter is on the engine for a reason.
grin.gif

Personally I'd never run a Fumoto drain valve because I run a magnetic drain plug, and it's not hard to R&R a regular drain plug. Plus, if the Fumoto does leave some oil in the pan, then a regular drain plug will fix that.

If you're worried about the Fumoto, then wait to install it after the 2nd oil change and you feel better about the engine being broken in.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
On a Miata board they discussed something trivial... that when installing a Fumoto oil valve the oil drain will leave a little more old oil in the pan. Got me thinking... Once the oil valve is in place this is one way to get all the old oil out without too much effort.

I doubt it's enough left in the oil pan to make any real difference, especially if you change oil regularly. An oil filter is on the engine for a reason.
grin.gif

Personally I'd never run a Fumoto drain valve because I run a magnetic drain plug, and it's not hard to R&R a regular drain plug. Plus, if the Fumoto does leave some oil in the pan, then a regular drain plug will fix that.

If you're worried about the Fumoto, then wait to install it after the 2nd oil change and you feel better about the engine being broken in.

Well I'd run a Fumoto if someone would just explain how it would keep my from crawling under my car LOL I'm waiting!

I usually do a flush when I get a new-to-me vehicle, which is rare. Cheap oil (or something in the stash) and a new filter. I run this for about 500 miles and then change the filter and put in the long term oil.

Well I'd run a Fumoto if someone would just explain how it would keep my from crawling under my car LOL I'm waiting![/quote]

Well... You do not need a wrench or a compression oil plug gasket. Slip on 1/2" tygon tube to valve nipple (connection included) and drain in any oil holder, ready for disposal. Just turn the valve handle 90 deg. No oil mess except for changing oil filter. See... you still have to crawl under your car for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back