One spark plug won't come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda Insight. Two of them I got out but were very tight. Yes, engine stone cold. Third one loosened a few turns but tighter than the others and don't want to damage anything. Filled the hole with WD40. How long to try again and is some other fluid better?

Had a problem with an old Civic that got stolen from me recently. I used a breaker bar and the leverage was enough to get it moving.

Can you take the car out of service? Spray in some Liquid Wrench or your favorite penetrating oil and let soak a few hours. Give it the mighty turn to the left until it squeeks. Hold of for another hour. Try the left turn again. You might try turn back to the right a bit as well. Are you just working with a 3/8" wrench? If so, use 1/2" ratchet wrench crossed over to your spark plug wrench. I find the 3/8" ratchet wrench is too small to get enough torque to get it out.

Soak it something other than WD40. Liquid Wrench, etc - a proper penetrating fluid.

You've got carbon on the threads. Don't just crank this out, soak it, tighten it back up, and loosen again. You're breaking up the carbon and allowing it to work loose. If it gets hard to turn while removing again, just run it back in a turn or two, then continue to loosen.

By the way, WD-40 is a terrible penetrant for this purpose. Try Liquid Wrench (easily found) or Kroil (absolute best of all of them). They'll work much better.

Last edited:
What did the 3 you removed look like? If they weren't bad, I'd probably leave that last one alone.

This post is a great example of the disadvantage of long life plugs. The longer they are in the harder they are to remove. On an I-4 engine the plugs are easy to change, do it more often and avoid the problems.

Originally Posted by redbone3
This post is a great example of the disadvantage of long life plugs. The longer they are in the harder they are to remove. On an I-4 engine the plugs are easy to change, do it more often and avoid the problems.

If the previous installer used anti-seize this wouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Try Liquid Wrench (easily found) or Kroil (absolute best of all of them). They'll work much better.

I have a Kroil spray can. So remove the WD40 and use that?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Astro14
Try Liquid Wrench (easily found) or Kroil (absolute best of all of them). They'll work much better.

I have a Kroil spray can. So remove the WD40 and use that?

If you have e WD40 already there, I would leave it, but I would rotate the plug back and forth, this will also work WD40 into the threads.

If you just let it sit, tight threads gummed up by soot will most likely not let it penetrate, doesn't matter the product.

Originally Posted by redbone3
This post is a great example of the disadvantage of long life plugs.

Changed the plugs in our son's V6 Accord with 95k miles and my G35 with 120k miles. On the G35, I know they were the original, factory-installed plugs too. They all came out with no problem. A few of them did squeak a bit but that was the "worst" thing.

Originally Posted by atikovi
If the previous installer used anti-seize this wouldn't be a problem.
Both NGK and Denso both say not to use any anti-seize and I even emailed one of them (don't remember which) to see if they'd kinda hint in a roundabout way something like "it's not necessary, but it won't hurt anything" (wink, wink) but he repeated their stance: no anti-seize. We still put some on but a very, very small amount.

WD-40 is too weak for this.

One method nobody seems to have ever heard of is mixing them all, equal parts. Liquid Wrench and the Kroil, could leave the WD-40 out. Or straight up Acetone mixed with some auto trans fluid. Either the equal-part blends of everything or the acetone and auto trans fluid are much much much better options on penetrating liquid. You are on a head on a car with porcelain etc so while heat would help this, warmed up engine vs cold .. you probably are not advised to put heat to it. No, do not do that.

Then again, I have seen people REMOVE spark plugs with an Impact, usually a 3/8" . It is a clean break, so, while totally within your rights to not do, this could solve that problem also. Does this last spark plug look straight up and down, like the others? Or to one side, a sign of cross thread

Start the car, floor it, then shut it off

Tap the gas pedal all the way down then let off immediately

That might help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back