Used Jeep Rubicon - Fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son just purchased a used 2012 Jeep Rubicon with V6, from a dealer. It has 85k miles on it and he is now the second owner.

Neither he or I are familiar with this model, or the V-6 engine. I assume it is the 'PentaStar' people have talked about on this forum?

Questions from my son: What is suggested oil for this motor? Should he use High Mileage? And suggestions for filter?

Also, any recommendations on tranny fluid and rear differential oil? And, does it require seperate fluid for the transfer case?

Any comments/ help would be appreciated I will pass it along to him. (He lives out of state). Thank you in advance.

GL

Last edited:
2012 should be the 2nd year for the Pentastar, and it is specified 5w-30.

No high mileage oil required. Fram Ultra is available for the 2012. I would pick a solid synthetic and run with it.

Automatic or manual transmission?

Lots of his questions (especially tc fluid) can be answered by reading the Owner's Manual....

If it's an automatic it will use ATF+4, which are basically all the same. The transfer case also uses this. Any name brand, or Mopar, is fine. Engine oil is spec'd as 5w30 that meets Chrysler MS-6395 specification, which is very easy to find. Diffs use standard 80w90 gear oil.

If it was my Wrangler, I would use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-30 conventional and an OEM Chrysler/Jeep oil filter.

Its a very good oil, meets the Chrysler spec, and can be had for a great price.
OEM filter just because they give me piece of mind vs. aftermarket. My opinion of course.

Not knowing his drive cycle or geography, start at 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

My 2014 Pentastar spec's 5W20 MS-6395. I like the Valvoline product line in conventional for this engine. Mopar filters. Cheapest ATF4 and again Mopar filter. This engine is known to develop leaks on the filter adapter, don't over tighten the plastic. Keep your eyes peeled for leaks, coolant and oil both reside in the adapter body. The oil pressure sender for the idiot light is also on this assembly and is a known problem. If your idiot light and scan show low oil pressure this is the fix. Be careful on which coolant you use. It is either 100k pink or 150k purple and they can't be mixed.

Last edited:
I use pennzoil yellow bottle in my wrangler's pentastar and mopar filter every 5K.
pennzoil syncromesh in the NSG 370 manual 6speed. IIRC the manual says every 30K. (If it was an auto I would use Supertech ATF+4 and change per the manual schedule)
Supertech ATF+4 in the TC
SuperTech 80w90 in the diffs.
The diffs are real easy to change because they have drainplugs.

If he is missing the manual he can go to the mopar.com website and download a full copy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back