My daily is now totaled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by MrWideTires
Bye bye Honda!

It was honestly a great car, but it bored me so I'm not even mad, just happy to be alive.

I complained about those goodyears since the day I got the car new (I hate goodyears with a passion).. absolutely zero traction. Touched a bit of standing water and that's all it took, zero control, 70mph sideways into a tree. Airbags blown, B pillar pushed in, everything scratched, wires ripped out, it's definitely totaled.

My built STI will have daily duty for now! So it will make some interesting UOAs.
The goal is to find an old 2002/03 wrx hatch to restore and daily (don't want payments ever again). Also from now on.. my driveway will be Subaru only and no more Goodyear tires ever.

The accident:
https://youtu.be/7Qo1bkSPZbg

Yikes...glad you're ok. Cars can be replaced but you...

Abt 25yrs ago I hydroplaned and ended up jumping a curb, cracked the oil pan, lost all the oil, and smacked up against a light pole destroying the front end of my Camaro. Had the pole not been there I would have likely smashed through a wood fence and ended up in in the living room of the home that was right behind that pole. Car was a total... and to make matters worse the cop cited me excessive speed for the conditions.

Originally Posted by dave123
Did you get a ticket and if so what for.

Luckily no citations for me!

Originally Posted by skyactiv
OP, enter the words glass transmission on Google and see what come up since you mentioned wanting a WRX.

That's only a problem on modified WRXs and they get hard launched.

There's plenty of WRXs out there with ridiculous amount of miles and the transmissions are fine, just keep it stock and don't abuse it!

Glad the OPer is OK and nobody else got involved in the wreck!

The tires that came on the last two Subarus we bought (my FXT and my daughter's Impreza) were pretty poor...we actually replaced her OEMs with Altimax RT43s after having the car a few days. We weren't buying her snow tires as she didn't have to drive during big storms as a student and her tires were going to have to work well in all other conditions...I ended up driving that car in a freak squall and I was VERY impressed with how well it did, and I was dropping my car with snows off and picking up her car at the time.

I'm thinking about just doing this as a default for any car we buy in the future, pick out some tires I have confidence in and have them put on the car when new...unless I feel very strongly that the OEM tires are actually capable.
We actually have 3 cars on RT43s, but they were a poor choice for me as a "summer" tire because they are not much fun and the all weather capabilities mean less since I run snows. I will admit that they do grip well in wet conditions, probably a little better than the GY Eagle Sport A/S tires I had before that were a hoot to drive aggressively in the dry. I never had trouble with the GYs, but my memory is that they would break loose more easily in heavy rain while the RT43s will start to squirm a little but still hang in there.
I think the RT43s are a great choice for all season use on our other cars, neither of which will be driven in heavy snow or during an ice storm.

Goodyear like all tire makers have different lines of tires, some high end and some low end.. I normally ran assurance tripletred to 60-80k and thought they were decent.

As happy as you are for walking away you should be 100 times happier you didn't hit someone else's property and 10,000 times happier you didn't hurt anyone.

When you hurt someone EVERYBODY gets real holy. They come after you for whatever you have.

We just yesterday had to dissuade an old friend from attending a wake for a deceased family member.
I was the spearhead. It seems I was the only one who knew that the old friend drove like a pinball machine ball-bouncing off stuff as a driving method. He never got more that 18 months out of a car.
It seems I was the only one who knew he blacked out behind the wheel ROUTINELY and that his rural setting was the only thing which kept him intact.

The death in my family was enough to strip away the truly misplaced veneer of politeness.

The OP was as foolish as the Vodka Video drivers.

We're waking my sister today and while she died of an internal condition the whining and complaining of her childhood friend (the guy who can't drive and subsequently cannot attend) will be echoed by a few attendees.

Why is it we can't say he's absolutely mechanically disinclined and should never have been allowed to drive ever in his life? The blacking out came later in life. He's 68.

The OP should be ashamed of himself for being so numb to the road's conditions.....glad he's OK and all that Happy Horse Manure but sharpen up dude!

Flame suit on.

I'm glad your ok. I think most of us have driven too fast and let tires go a little longer than needed. Learn and move forward. That's all anyone can do after situations like this.

Glad you made it out OK.

I swapped out the almost new tires on my current Mustang after about a month. They were possibly the worst in wet weather I've ever felt. Tires are probably the most important piece of any car as its the connection to the road. Did I want to spend the money on tires when the ones I had were "OK", nope not even a little bit. But its worth it to protect yourself and your car.

I complained about those goodyears since the day I got the car new (I hate goodyears with a passion).. absolutely zero traction.

Which Goodyears were they? How much tread depth?

Touched a bit of standing water and that's all it took
Hitting standing water at 70 mph is likely to result in hydroplaning, regardless what tires you have, IME.

My Vibe hydroplanes easily, especially when the tires get even a little worn. I almost think the tires are too wide for the weight of the vehicle.

So I have to really slow down if there's any standing water on the highway. People just have to pass me...

The '09 Mazda 3 I just bought had a set of low-end Continentals on it. Maybe half-gone on the front, due to no rotations since they were installed. Rears looked like they had full tread depth. Had to drive the car home in the rain the day I bought it. Surrounded by cars and semi-trucks, I hit some standing water in a weird low spot on Central Expressway at about 50mph and the steering wheel went numb. I haven't felt this sensation in a car in many years, and we never get a gentle rain in Dallas.

The Continentals are now in Discount Tire's dumpster. Not worth keeping tires that you know aren't cutting the mustard anymore.

I had one dicey situation with substandard tires; after that I've never scrimped on decent rubber.

This post makes me feel better about how much I slow down in hard rain. If it's an option, I will get off the interstate and find a different route with less traffic and a lower speed. I'd almost rather drive in heavy snow than heavy rain.

This post also makes me really reconsider getting one more summer on my Frontier's factory BFG Long Trail T/As. They are absolutely abysmal in almost all conditions. I have a ways to go to the wear bars but I take it extra easy in wet weather on these things.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Why were doing 70 when you knew your tires sucked?
He was bored of the car, so he wanted it gone.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by fenixguy
This post makes me feel better about how much I slow down in hard rain. If it's an option, I will get off the interstate and find a different route with less traffic and a lower speed. I'd almost rather drive in heavy snow than heavy rain.

Where I live we get snow pretty regularly and I don't have a problem with it... it's the black ice and hydroplaning, I learned long ago, the hard way, that the posted speed limit is for ideal conditions. I don't know how many of you guys get your tires siped but I do and I swear it helps with wet/snow driving. But it's not a replacement for common sense.

If you have bad tires (low tread depth) that's your fault and just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I don't know how many of you guys get your tires siped but I do and I swear it helps with wet/snow driving.

Dunno about others but I only buy siped tires. RT43 certainly are, I think most low performance all seasons are siped? Not sure I'd even look at a snow tire that wasn't siped.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I complained about those goodyears since the day I got the car new (I hate goodyears with a passion).. absolutely zero traction.

Which Goodyears were they? How much tread depth?

Touched a bit of standing water and that's all it took
Hitting standing water at 70 mph is likely to result in hydroplaning, regardless what tires you have, IME.

Some Goodyear eagle sports all seasons.. horrible, they only had 11k on them.

A man has got to know his limitations.

Fortunately for most of us, we have tested those limitations without harm to others or ourselves.

The main thing is that you were not injured seriously. Now the insurance game begins.

I would be cautious pushing this on social media as well.

My Daily is now adios also. They wouldn't throw the newspaper on my lawn (private property) everyday and instead it always landed on the sidewalk, which is public property. So my daily paper kept vanishing and I told them to stick their newspaper subscription up their rear.

Sorry to read about your daily!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back