No Syn blend from Supertech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought Supertech's high mileage was syn blend but it appears to just be straight dino. Do they not have a syn blend?

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I always thought Supertech's high mileage was syn blend but it appears to just be straight dino. Do they not have a syn blend?

As far as I know its always been full synthetic.

Surpertech HM D1G2.jpg

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by forkian
I thought all SN rated oils are at least a Syn Blend?

I believe you're correct. At least from the many different oil companies web sites(PDS) that state as such. Mainly in 5W20 & 5W30. 10W30 too & 10W40 may also be listed as syn/blends but in lesser volumes and brands.

That can't be right. Is there a requirement for Dino oils to have a minimum amount of synthetic?

Is there a requirement for Dino oils to have a minimum amount of synthetic?

There are no requirements for anything in that regard. Meeting some specifications or approvals make it necessary to use better base stocks however.

I read a statement from Shell a few days ago someplace saying it's now cheaper to produce GTL motor oil than to produce dino oil, so we'll see more blends and synthetics on shelves.

Well since BP has been mislabeling Dino group III as "Full Synthetic" for well over a decade - what does it matter now?

Is that Synthetic word magic to you? What does it really mean?

Ask a Marketer - Yes it is.

And I though everyone was going "Natural" and "Organic"

What the Hay?

If you evaluate various Product Data Sheets (PDS) for non synthetic SN plus PCMOs, there is a common theme in the descriptions stating the oils are synthetic blends. This holds true for all major brands. What is not disclosed in the PDSs are the percentages and the Group of the synthetic base stock used in the formulations. I expect oil blenders are using the minimum amount of Group III base stock required for them to meet API SN plus approval in combination with modifications to the DI package. SN plus PCMO formulations are using lower levels of calcium and increased levels of magnesium in the detergency package to combat LSPI.

Super Tech 5W20 and 5W30 conventional PCMOs meet SN plus requirements; so, these oils may very well be synthetic blends albeit with low levels of Group III base stock. Also, I reviewed the PDS for Super Tech 5W30 from WD, and it uses less calcium and more magnesium than the previous SN formulation as verified by the VOA posted on the PQIA website.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

my local WM does not have the HM syn on the shelf, has to be ordered online.
I never knew there was a synthetic HM option till about a year ago and saw someone talking about it.

That can't be right. Is there a requirement for Dino oils to have a minimum amount of synthetic?

Mobil basestocks meet SN+ with Group II. If not, roughly 50% Group III needed to meet standard. VWB now shifting to branding as a semi syn. Conoco Phillips been doing it for years. It'll all be settled in five years. Til then confusion.

I don't think it really matters. If the oil can meet the requirements it meets the requirements and is therefore sufficient for it's application.
That being said it probably is blended to some extent as is the case with most dino oils these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back