My daily is now totaled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you're OK.

None of us can tell from the video whether he was driving too fast. Visibility looked good, so why would he have reason to slow down on a straight road?

IMO, it's either the driver's fault, IF he had experienced any sort of hydro-planing prior to accident prior to the accident and didn't slow down, OR

it's the tires fault for being at the limit and not giving any indication, OR

it was a freak accident, with the perfect combination of road surface, rain, wind and drainage flow.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

None of us can tell from the video whether he was driving too fast. Visibility looked good, so why would he have reason to slow down on a straight road?
IMO, it's either the driver's fault, IF he had experienced any sort of hydro-planing prior to accident prior to the accident and didn't slow down, OR
it's the tires fault for being at the limit and not giving any indication, OR
it was a freak accident, with the perfect combination of road surface, rain, wind and drainage flow.

Nothing freak about it.
I could tell he was driving too fast because he crashed. No lack of evidence there.
And the OP stated he felt the tires had sub-standard grip from prior experience. Corroborating evidence.
OP was over driving conditions and equipment.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I bet he's glad he paid cash for it/wishes he had if he didn't, right BITOG?

28.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Glad you weren't hurt. I suppose you won't blame your insurance company when it raises your premium.

Accident forgiveness is a wonderful thing.

I had a set of Michelin LTX's on my Silverado, which were unsafe on anything that wasn't dry pavement.

I learned my lesson, wrote off the hard earned money that i'd foolishly spent on them, bought a different set of tires, took them off... and moved on.

A set of crappy tires isn't worth totaling a car over.... and honestly... it makes a silly excuse. It's not that difficult of a problem to deal with.

Maybe next time, right?

Originally Posted by madRiver
Apparently you drove too fast for conditions and your recovery skills. So glad you are not hurt.

This^^^^^^^^^

As someone who has done something nearly very similar myself... I'm glad you are ok... That's the main thing here...

In my incident I was going 68 mph in a very, very heavy rainstorm... Came over a overpass and hit water that had some depth to it going downhill... My car got about a foot away from going off the pavement on the left side towards the median... Realizing that if I got my left side tires off the road I would very, very, very likely have a bad wreck... So I didn't panic... Just put very, very, very slight steering wheel input towards the right to get away from that edge... I ended up 4 feet into the right lane... No one beside me thank goodness.. I had the presence of mind to know that putting in too much steering input I was going to wreck and run out of talent super quick. Then car regained traction again... How fast I was going was no where near intelligent. Given how hard it was raining at that time. Yeah I had Goodyear Assurance tires on my car... But that was not the tires fault. It was mine. And mine alone.

I saved myself that day... But what if I had gone off the left side of that road and lost it hitting a innocent bystander/driver heading the opposite way on Rte 199?? Yeah... That would have been on me.

I have not come remotely close since then to having that kind of issue. While up until that overpass I had been just fine with the conditions... I learned that one doesn't know what may lay over the next hill... And by the time you figure it out you could already be in a world of trouble. It is just not a smart thing to do.

Last edited:
My next to last 528e came with a set of Coopers that were hard as a rock. On a dry road, they were fine, a heavy dew,they might well have been slicks.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
"no friction" Lame excuse for not knowing how to drive and be careful.

Lol you're turning the screws tonight. Not enough attention lately?

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
Originally Posted by pezzy669
Yeah - don't think this was the tires, speed seems to be the main issue. Look how fast the lane markings are going by and how fast the water is beading up in the windshield, not to mention the incredible wind noise.

100% Operator error.

Lol that's called RainX that's applied to the windshield to make it do that, and that's about 70mph the same as everyone else was doing.

Yeah, but in your video, there's no one else in front of you.

As others said, basic driver error, too fast for conditions. I like to throw my car into corners too, but I only do that in nice weather. When it's raining out, I don't pull any G's and go slower.

I think in those conditions, you should have been able to brake if you have ABS/traction control/stability control and that should have kept you going straight. There was probably enough time to maybe regain traction before sliding off the road.

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
Bye bye Honda!

It was honestly a great car, but it bored me so I'm not even mad, just happy to be alive.

I complained about those goodyears since the day I got the car new (I hate goodyears with a passion).. absolutely zero traction. Touched a bit of standing water and that's all it took, zero control, 70mph sideways into a tree. Airbags blown, B pillar pushed in, everything scratched, wires ripped out, it's definitely totaled.

My built STI will have daily duty for now! So it will make some interesting UOAs.
The goal is to find an old 2002/03 wrx hatch to restore and daily (don't want payments ever again). Also from now on.. my driveway will be Subaru only and no more Goodyear tires ever.

The accident:
https://youtu.be/7Qo1bkSPZbg

Yikes...glad you're ok. Cars can be replaced but you...

Abt 25yrs ago I hydroplaned and ended up jumping a curb, cracked the oil pan, lost all the oil, and smacked up against a light pole destroying the front end of my Camaro. Had the pole not been there I would have likely smashed through a wood fence and ended up in in the living room of the home that was right behind that pole. Car was a total... and to make matters worse the cop cited me excessive speed for the conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
My Escape with OEM Michelin Energy Savers would get squirrelly at 50mph in wet conditions. Some tires don't like wet conditions and they like it less at higher speeds.

Those are bettter than what came on the 13-16 Escapes. The Continental ProContact OE tires were awful. My parents took it back to the dealer because it felt like the thing had a bad steering rack and lose control arms. Awful tires. As bad as they are, the Michelins are actually better

Rain x was developed for purposes where windshield wipers could not keep up with volume of rain on windshield due to speed like racing. A side market is mass consumer driving normal speeds.

If you had no rain x and poor visibility usjng wipers would you have slowed down like most people?

Last edited:
Though I'm not, nor claim to be an accident investigation expert (crash forensics), looks like a classic example of hydroplaning to me. Contributing factors generally, speed and tire tread depth. Glad you're ok.

Be safe out there folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back