transmission flare update

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as previously posted I had a 2002 Hyundai XG350 that was having a transmission flare. I began experimenting with different ATFs and eventually fell into trying some type F in it. This worked great for about 300 miles, but began giving weird delayed and jerky shifts. After this I then flushed all 10 quarts out with Maxlife, then added 2 bottles of lubeguard black highly friction modified atf supplement. This actually appears to have fixed the problem. It has been just over 1.5k miles and it has not returned. Also a reverse engagement was mitigated too. So although that is probably a pretty large overdose of friction modifier, it seems to have worked for my application.

Your transmission is starting to go out. The fact that once you replaced the ATF and it jerked and it didn't when you added new one with the additive means that starting to go out. The additive is helping it shift. Drive it till it dies. Meanwhile save money for a new car. It may take a year or two to go out if it is your daily driver.

Drive that car til it drops. Lubegard red goes in every transmission that I've had. That and oem or oem replacement fluid. Not a huge fan of multi-vehicle atfs. It seems to keep fluid in better condition longer, and keeps solenoids clean in good working trannies.

Off topic here, refresh my memory on a 2002 XG, does your XG have rear lights in the decklid? I must have cut metal plates, welded, filled and smoothed with body filler, and painted 50 to 60 XG's around that time for Hyundai. They did a change to the decklid around that time, they deleted the lights in the decklid and I made a boat load of money updating their fleet. They did not ship in a new fleet of XG's for that upgrade for some reason. It was not a popular seller except for within the Korean community, which happened to be very close to Hyundai Corporate.

The XG is a one off vehicle as I remember, no other vehicles in their fleet interchange parts with it. Driveline or body. I also recall they had a stretched model, like a BMW 750IL, we used to think it was kind of funny, not sure who would buy an XG and have a driver...lol, maybe a Korean.

Always thought these were unusually classy looking cars. Every once in a while I'll see one on the road, typically rusted out rolling on a donut spare.

Is there a ‘scene' going for these cars yet?

Thanks for the update. I have a feeling you might be needing some transmission work, perhaps a rebuild. But stranger things have happened and you might just luck out. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Not a huge fan of multi-vehicle atfs. It seems to keep fluid in better condition longer, and keeps solenoids clean in good working trannies.

Huh? So you're saying MV ATFs last longer and keep solenoids cleaner, but you're not a fan?

OP, why did you pick Lubegard black vs. Lubegard red? Red is what is specified as the "best" option by Lubegard, along with Platinum. But Molakule has stated he would not use Platinum because of the high level of friction modifiers... and I'm sure by the name that Black has even more.

Question: when you swapped out the fluid, did you perform a hard reset of the shift logic either by disconnecting battery for 20 minutes or with a handheld? I know my Fusion shifted weird just before my ATF change, and even after I filled it with Amsoil ATL until I reset the shift logic. Then it shifted perfect.

I had a friend with a Santa Fe that had a bad shift flare and it was getting worse to the point that it was almost undriveable. As a last ditch attempt to keep it on the road, I emptied it through the dipstick - maybe 2 or 3 quarts and replaced it with ATF4, then repeated it.

It definitely solved the shift flare. Engine mounts and CV joints may not have liked it. But your transmission is on the way out.

Originally Posted by cjolson140
Is there a ‘scene' going for these cars yet?

There just might be. Saw a clean 04 with 76,000 miles go through an auction and bring $1600 this week.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Not a huge fan of multi-vehicle atfs. It seems to keep fluid in better condition longer, and keeps solenoids clean in good working trannies.

Huh? So you're saying MV ATFs last longer and keep solenoids cleaner, but you're not a fan?

OP, why did you pick Lubegard black vs. Lubegard red? Red is what is specified as the "best" option by Lubegard, along with Platinum. But Molakule has stated he would not use Platinum because of the high level of friction modifiers... and I'm sure by the name that Black has even more.

Question: when you swapped out the fluid, did you perform a hard reset of the shift logic either by disconnecting battery for 20 minutes or with a handheld? I know my Fusion shifted weird just before my ATF change, and even after I filled it with Amsoil ATL until I reset the shift logic. Then it shifted perfect.

Long night watching the blues after parties and drinking. I meant that the LG red keeps the OEM fluid in better condition. Would I use it with maxlife in an emergency? Yes. Would only use maxlife in an extreme leak scenario to get home.

Drive that car til it drops. Lubegard red goes in every transmission that I've had. That and oem or oem replacement fluid. Not a huge fan of multi-vehicle atfs. It seems to keep fluid in better condition longer, and keeps solenoids clean in good working trannies.

Only a person who does not know most OEM ATF's are near identical would state not a fan multi vehicle ATF's would state that. OEM ATF's will have just as much differences in batch variations then different brand formulations. Some OEM's have mutiple blenders blending ATF.

The XG350 was a dream to own for the 4 years I had it. Bought it for 2000 sold for 2000. over those years put an air compressor, a set of shocks and tires on it. I would totally recommend one of these cars to anyone with how cheap they are. They have a vinyl interior that is very comfortable, a 3.5L V6 and a very pleasant ride. I sat on the highway going 90 in my 02 with barely any road noise (also factor newish tires) and no shake, rattle or unpleasant noise. Very sad to see that car go but it was time. on the topic of things to try, I tried lubeguard red (made it worse over 700 miles). I tried ATF+4 (had no noticeable affect probably best indicator since its so close to factory Hyundai sp3). I always reset the computer after 5 miles of driving to create a consistent fluid first, and If I saw an 04 for 1600 I would personally pounce on it immediately except I have 3 cars already.

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
The XG350 was a dream to own for the 4 years I had it. Bought it for 2000 sold for 2000.

I remember when they came out, it got good reviews. IDK, I'd say 17yrs on the original transmission with nary a problem up until now doesn't seem to bad to me, no? There are cars that don't even get half that long before experiencing problems.

Hyundai/Kia quality has come a long way. I've been meticulous about adhering to the maintenance schedule and using either OE fluids (when I was under warranty) or quality aftermarket stuff that specifically states replaces Kia motor/tranny fluids. I've got 162k on mine and the tranny shifts like the day I bought it - not a drip anywhere. (knock on wood)...

I really adore Hyundai at this point. I shop cars less than 3k always and I can get somewhere around a base 2002 camry with 250k miles or a 2007 sonata top trim for roughly the same. With that being said I am a huge Toyota fan also and If I were ever to buy a truly new car that is what i'd go with, but for my application Hyundai/kia are awesome. The atf drain bolt is a bonus. Also kia made their version called the amanti until 2008 whereas the XG350 went until 2005.

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
I really adore Hyundai at this point. I shop cars less than 3k always and I can get somewhere around a base 2002 camry with 250k miles or a 2007 sonata top trim for roughly the same. With that being said I am a huge Toyota fan also and If I were ever to buy a truly new car that is what i'd go with, but for my application Hyundai/kia are awesome. The atf drain bolt is a bonus. Also kia made their version called the amanti until 2008 whereas the XG350 went until 2005.

If I remember the Amanti had a slightly different styling, yes? It had that hideous, to me at least, looking front end. The XG350 had better exterior styling IMO.

That is correct, I think they look awful but great to own. But all of these cars come with a caveat. CHANGE YOUR DANG TIMING BELT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back