Amoco back in Indianapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across the first and, for now, only Amoco back in Indianapolis after a 15 year hiatus. Brand new store and not a rebrand of a previous station. Cool to see the logo back, as Amoco/Standard was usually my dad's go-to brand when I was a kid.

2173ADDA-23E9-4E8B-97AD-0180928464A9.jpeg

13826D68-2614-4890-929B-94594761C977.jpeg

Last edited:
In the 80's into the 90's visited the Broomfield Amoco (Broomfield, CO) for fuel, free air for tires and they had a couple of service bays. Current site has a Circle K Convenience Store with Shell fuel. The most involved repair was for my then 1984 Buick Century which had the timing chain break. sheared off the nylon teeth of the gear, had to pull the oil pan to retrieve. They kept me going. Across the street at the time was an Exon Station, now a Starbucks with a drive through. I don't know why but have sometimes thought of the Broomfield Amoco while at the current Shell Station. Recognize the sign and logo, thank you.

Scott

MAGA
First Amoco I seen in years. Looks good with 93. Wonder if its pure/clear or E10. Out here people call non ethanol at QT/Caseys clear fuel. Thanks for the pictures. I used to buy Amoco Gold synthetic oil at 4.99.

Interesting for sure....strange how a brand like this which is well known simply disappears for decades and then mysteriously reappears.

The fuel additive trade name "invigorate" belongs to BP. I wonder if they bought the AMACO name rights in the USA?

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Interesting for sure....strange how a brand like this which is well known simply disappears for decades and then mysteriously reappears.

The fuel additive trade name "invigorate" belongs to BP. I wonder if they bought the AMACO name rights in the USA?

BP and Amoco merged in 1998. BP put Amoco to rest in the early 2000's, but reintroduced the brand starting in 2017, mainly on the east coast.

^^^^^^^^^^^

That's exactly right...

My step father worked at the Amoco refinery in Yorktown Va...

I learned that the gas stations on the Eastern shore all sold Amoco gas no matter what signs were outside... Though only those stations did not get Amoco Ultimate 93. They got 93 with what the refinery thought was as close as possible to what brand was advertised on the signage on those stations like Exxon, Citgo etc.

I see Amoco is a Top Tier brand in the US and Canada.
There is another one at Washington and Sherman on the east side of Indianapolis.

There is a new BP station in Franklin, Indiana, used to be a Swifty.
Another new BP is getting ready to open in Trafalgar.

I wonder how they decide which brand to open.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by shanneba
I see Amoco is a Top Tier brand in the US and Canada.
There is another one at Washington and Sherman on the east side of Indianapolis.

There is a new BP station in Franklin, Indiana, used to be a Swifty.
Another new BP is getting ready to open in Trafalgar.

I wonder how they decide which brand to open.

The pics I took are from the one at Washington & Sherman. From what I gather, it's the only one in Indy. When BP announced they were bringing it back so they could expand their reach where BP stations already existed by having both brands within close proximity. It's also believed they did it because some don't view BP favorably and Amoco has a positive reputation.

Originally Posted by Pat in Speedway
Originally Posted by AC1DD

BP and Amoco merged in 1998. BP put Amoco to rest in the early 2000's, but reintroduced the brand starting in 2017, mainly on the east coast.

Some video history from the time period.

https://youtu.be/-x0f6GTArEY

I would guess a lot of people (especially in the south) still have a bitter taste in their mouth for BP ever since the Gulf oil spill fiasco.

Surprised they didn't do this years ago.

Plus Amoco stations look cooler. Red, white, and blue vs green and yellow.
thumbsup2.gif

In the Blackstone article testing old oils, Amoco 'LDO' 10W-40 is one that they test.
The author remembers his dad filling up at Amoco stations on road trips.
Lot of nostalgia in that brand, should do well.

This has come up before here.
Someone suggested that the B-standing for British-in the BP was too "recognizably foreign" a name so the red, white and blue Amoco logo was dusted off.

Sounds good to me.

Amoco was probably the gas brand my family trusted most when I was a kid near Chicago...there was another brand's station about two blocks away from our house but my folks would go out of their way a few miles to get Amoco.
That nearby station eventually closed and was replaced by condos...I wonder how many people that bought those realized what had been there before.
I remember a buddy of mine nearly knocked a gas pump at the nearest Amoco over completely when he was backing up his huge boat of a car with the driver's door open. He tried to just drive away and the cashier came flying out swearing a blue streak...my buddy swore that the pump was fine and the cashier asked why he was leaving so quickly, then.
My buddy swore that he looked at the gas prices and decided they were WAY too expensive...he got away with it!

A gas tank was installed at the end of our block and my dad went berserk because he thought a station was going in and our house's value would plummet...turned out they only put one pump in and it was intended as fleet service for a company across the street (we were in a residential area but there were a few businesses at a major intersection a block away). He still didn't like that, but it was better than having a 24 hour gas station at the the end of our street. I think I only saw a vehicle fueling up there once in many years, then the pump got ripped out and it was just a parking lot again...used to ride my bike, skateboard, and scooter in that lot for hours on end.

They've been reappearing in the far west suburbs of Chicago as well. First one I noticed was a conversion of a Shell station into Amoco, and a brand-new station was recently built on the route I take to work.

Having grown up downwind of the Whiting (IN) Refinery, I'm happy to see the name come back. Now if they would rename the big, white building in downtown Chicago back to 'The Amoco Building', my life would be complete.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back