Recent Topics
Is my transmission fluid overfilled? Scion xB '10
by puredata - 08/22/19 02:38 AM
Which are you?😂
by Mad_Hatter - 08/22/19 12:21 AM
The Fatal Flaw...
by Mad_Hatter - 08/21/19 10:58 PM
early OCI because of HIGH REVVING
by tahoe_hybrid - 08/21/19 10:38 PM
API diesel / gas ratings
by KiwiBiker - 08/21/19 10:18 PM
For the XOM fans!
by Marco620 - 08/21/19 09:43 PM
I have to set up Wake-On-Lan
by vavavroom - 08/21/19 09:17 PM
A Nut About Motor Oil
by Mr_Luke - 08/21/19 09:12 PM
Is VW507 okay for flat tappets in EA 827?
by vavavroom - 08/21/19 09:06 PM
Brake pads on a Cadillac ATS?
by Oro_O - 08/21/19 08:32 PM
2019 GMC Sierra - Rear view mirror is new tech
by Reddy45 - 08/21/19 08:18 PM
Mobil Super or Mobil 1
by 80Boxcar - 08/21/19 07:34 PM
17 Accord 6AT "service"
by Schmoe - 08/21/19 07:26 PM
Caliper Recommendations for 2002 Tacoma
by madibob - 08/21/19 07:14 PM
KoruWorks code
by GumbyJarvis - 08/21/19 06:34 PM
Differential / Axle VENT
by MasterSolenoid - 08/21/19 06:14 PM
Oil for Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
by Luke352 - 08/21/19 05:52 PM
Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend SN+
by mpgo4th - 08/21/19 05:37 PM
6.7 powerstroke cab off repair work
by mattd - 08/21/19 04:23 PM
Newest Members
oilq, Nesss, Robto, Chaparro_trucker, KiwiBiker
69027 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
24 registered members (Bailes1992, 80Boxcar, CB900F2, dbias, avi1777, 1 invisible), 623 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics293,636
Posts5,043,870
Members69,027
Most Online3,532
Jul 30th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
PIAA twin magnet oil filter #5132843 06/13/19 02:33 AM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 33
R
RoyFJ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 33
http://www.piaa.co.jp/category/english/e_4rin/e_filter/#filter01

The concept is similar to Magnefine filter for transmission. I am getting one from Japan to try it out on my FJ Cruiser.

Re: PIAA twin magnet oil filter [Re: RoyFJ] #5132925 06/13/19 07:18 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,334
Bud Offline
Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,334
Saw Amazon sells them for about 37 bucks each. Whew!!


2016 Honda Pilot EX-L with NAVI.....Mobil 1 0w20 AFE and Honda OEM Filter
Re: PIAA twin magnet oil filter [Re: Bud] #5133312 06/13/19 03:42 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 33
R
RoyFJ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Bud
Saw Amazon sells them for about 37 bucks each. Whew!!


Hopefully Magnefine will take the cue and start making them.

Re: PIAA twin magnet oil filter [Re: RoyFJ] #5133352 06/13/19 04:23 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 93
L
Loi Offline
Offline
L
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 93
I thought about running the PIAA filter on one of my cars. Currently I'm running the Power Enterprise oil filter from Japan.


'05 GDB STI
'16 VAB STI
Re: PIAA twin magnet oil filter [Re: RoyFJ] #5133389 06/13/19 04:55 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 53
M
man114 Offline
Offline
M
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 53
For $37 you could just get some cheap neodymium magnets and stick them to the filter plus they’re reuseable

Re: PIAA twin magnet oil filter [Re: RoyFJ] #5133648 06/13/19 09:50 PM
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 26
michael007 Offline
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 26
$37 is the marked up price by a 3rd party reseller.

Retail on Amazon Japan is $13.60USD

I was going to buy a couple and have them sent via a forwarding service but the efficiency didn't seem better than the standard WIX filter I'm running now.

The promo video shows that it has two types of media inside, one filtering 10 microns and the other 20 microns. Efficiency percentages are not provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zczI3MhrORg

I found on Instagram a video of one being cut open:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPbzgscj98n/

He then posted the metals found inside the magnet, but I bet its full because of the way he opened it
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPbzsZYDTe1/

On Amazon Japan, there's a review with a more realistic photo of the amount of metals the magnet caught after an OCI:
[Linked Image]

Re: PIAA twin magnet oil filter [Re: RoyFJ] #5133857 06/14/19 07:33 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,227
D
DuckRyder Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,227
Interesting:

There is no sealing between the elements correct? Meaning some percentage of the oil randomly flows through each element?

Last edited by DuckRyder; 06/14/19 07:33 AM.

Robert
  • 2019 Volkswagen Jetta R-Line
  • 2005 Honda Civic Sedan
  • 1972 F100 Ranger XLT (390/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)
  • 2002 Ford Ranger XLT 4D Supercab 3.0L
Re: PIAA twin magnet oil filter [Re: DuckRyder] #5133884 06/14/19 08:13 AM
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 26
michael007 Offline
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Interesting:

There is no sealing between the elements correct? Meaning some percentage of the oil randomly flows through each element?


Correct, there’s no sealing between the elements.

Someone from a Russian oil club forum wrote this (translated):

40% of the surface - 10 microns, 60% of the surface - 20 μR. The flow is one. It is easier for the oil to pass through the 20 μcr paper, we find that approximately 80% of the oil is filtered at once for 20 μm, and only the remaining 20% ​​of the oil passes through 10 μm.

It turns out that the filter takes in only a small part of the impurities of the 10-20 micron fraction and completely more than 20 microns.

Re: PIAA twin magnet oil filter [Re: RoyFJ] #5133890 06/14/19 08:18 AM
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 26
michael007 Offline
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 26
I’m kind of curious to get a particle UOA to compare this filter to WIX (50% @ 6 microns and 95% @ 20 microns)

Seems like it’s the only way to figure out if this filter is pure marketing or if they’re onto something

Re: PIAA twin magnet oil filter [Re: michael007] #5134083 06/14/19 01:52 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21,526
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 21,526
Originally Posted by michael007
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Interesting:

There is no sealing between the elements correct? Meaning some percentage of the oil randomly flows through each element?


Correct, there’s no sealing between the elements.

Someone from a Russian oil club forum wrote this (translated):

40% of the surface - 10 microns, 60% of the surface - 20 μR. The flow is one. It is easier for the oil to pass through the 20 μcr paper, we find that approximately 80% of the oil is filtered at once for 20 μm, and only the remaining 20% ​​of the oil passes through 10 μm.

It turns out that the filter takes in only a small part of the impurities of the 10-20 micron fraction and completely more than 20 microns.


That's basically the same way the Microgreen filters work ... the flow rate through the fine filtering disc is much lower than the flow through the main element.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™