What kind of oil does Carmax use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vehicle had been cleaned and prepped and I could see the oil was new and clean and remains so given the miles driven so far. The OCI and service intervals have all been reset to 10K. Car is a 2016 Lexus Es 350 23K at time of purchase.

Do they use bulk Dino, synthetic blend? Full syn?

Last edited:
Does it have a store brand filter?
Most Carmax's I've been to seem to put Carquest filters on their vehicles, wouldn't surprise me if they got Carquest oil as well.

Heck if I know. Do they have a service dept? Did you try them...if not them, someone at CarMax knows what oil went in.

If give them a call and ask. You spent enough money on that Lexus to at least ask them a few questions. If it's 0w-20 then at least you know it's full syn as there's no such thing as conventional/blend for that weight

Yeah, when I bought my Hyundai Santa Fe from an Acura dealer, I had to wait a day while they serviced it.
The salesman said they did not have the right filter for it.
When I picked it up, I asked the sales guy what oil and filter they use. He said they use OEM filters for all cars sold, and the correct oil listed on the oil cap. When I asked what brand, he said Acura Oil.
I guessed it is probably the same as Honda oil (an Exxon/Mobil product).
I left it in there for 2000 miles before draining it. I checked the cartridge filter, it was a Mann-Hummel. They makes OEM Hyundai/Kia filters, so I left that in there for a few more thousand miles and added some Delo XLE 10w-30 blend for 3000 miles. Will be going full synthetic (a lot of Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 and Rotella T6 5w-40) in a few hundred miles.

So while what was in there was probably fine, I still did not know 100% what was in there, and wanted my oil in there, not some dealer oil.
Why? Because I'm a MAN!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by blupupher
Yeah, when I bought my Hyundai Santa Fe from an Acura dealer, I had to wait a day while they serviced it.
The salesman said they did not have the right filter for it.
When I picked it up, I asked the sales guy what oil and filter they use. He said they use OEM filters for all cars sold, and the correct oil listed on the oil cap. When I asked what brand, he said Acura Oil.
I left it in there for 2000 miles before draining it. I checked the cartridge filter, it was a Mann-Hummel. They makes OEM Hyundai/Kia filters, so I left that in there for a few more thousand miles and added some Delo XLE 10w-30 blend for 3000 miles. Will be going full synthetic (a lot of Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 and Rotella T6 5w-40) in a few hundred miles.

So while what was in there was probably fine, I still did not know 100% what was in there, and wanted my oil in there, not some dealer oil.
Why? Because I'm a MAN!
banana2.gif

And a man provides!

I would have asked him to prove it. The oil, that is. Unless you watch them pour the oil in the engine and not take it out, you really do not know 1000%. Sure, it may say so on an invoice, but maybe if you ask to go in and see their bulk containers. Acura oil in a Hyundai sounds funny. It may have been Idemitsu so this goes to show you how versatile engine oil is, for the USE OEM crowd.

I would think they would need to provide you a receipt showing the work and oil grade for warranty proposes, if required at a later date. If it's 0w20 them you're fine.

I'd be willing to bet that each Carmax location is different, I don't think they'd use the same oil across the board for every one of them. And just like any place that uses bulk oil, you just never know what you're going to get. It might not even have the right certifications for the car it's going into, or even the right viscosity for that matter. That's why I'd recommend doing an oil change right away from any car you buy from any used car dealer.

All you've got to do is wander back to their shop and walk around. You'll find the bulk tanks. Sometimes they'll be labeled with what's in them. If you see some techs hanging out,just ask them what kind've oil the shop uses.

Originally Posted by Toros

Don't know but after spending 5 figures on a car, why not spend $30 soon after to change the oil to your liking if it will make you feel better?

Originally Posted by Patman
I'd be willing to bet that each Carmax location is different, I don't think they'd use the same oil across the board for every one of them. And just like any place that uses bulk oil, you just never know what you're going to get. It might not even have the right certifications for the car it's going into, or even the right viscosity for that matter. That's why I'd recommend doing an oil change right away from any car you buy from any used car dealer.

Yeah, this is probably what they do, get the least expensive bulk oil available in their area. Probably one grade that they use in every vehicle, like 5W-30.

blupupeher said When I asked what brand, he said Acura Oil.

Sorry, but Honda/Acura oil is NOT an Exxon/Mobil product. Phillips 66 has the contract to provide their oil at least until this year, 2019. Their relationship started in 2010.

Phillips 66 Honda/Acura Oil Provider

Carmax is a national franchise chain, no?
The used car industry is known for honesty and a deep desire to be warm and fuzzy. I've inferred that from reading posts here.

I'd bet they'll have their hands full keeping their collective laughter from bursting out through their noses were you to ask.

...or they'll produce a bulk delivery receipt listing a quality oil with a actual brand name you'll recognize instead of an item number.

Is it an established dealership which has bought into the franchise model like a local hardware store going ACE or TruValue or is it sloppy looking and staffed by auto school drop-outs and dealers' relatives?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Toros

Don't know but after spending 5 figures on a car, why not spend $30 soon after to change the oil to your liking if it will make you feel better?

It;'s called WASTE.'

Only on BITOG paranoid OCD.

Car has Clean new oil and filter.

Unless it starts making racket,

You are good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

It;'s called WASTE.

I don't see it as a waste at all. Like I mentioned, what if the oil they put in doesn't even have the proper certifications necessary for your car?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

It;'s called WASTE.

I don't see it as a waste at all. Like I mentioned, what if the oil they put in doesn't even have the proper certifications necessary for your car?

A Lexus ES 350 V6 would use ILSAC GF5 ?

what if ...

It's futile to discuss, debate, etc with anyone that uses "what if" scenarios.

Originally Posted by edyvw
When I buy car I always change oil immediately. Do not care is it a dealership or not.

thumbsup2.gif

If I know it's been changed I will let it go a couple thousand while I procure filters.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
what if ...

Agreed; you can "what if" yourself to death and never accomplish anything.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
what if ...

Seriously? That is your argument? Some people just don't get it...
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back