High Performance Lubricants BAS 5w-30 Racing Oil VOA

This is an oil that we are looking into for our race cars.

Does anyone know where 14 ppm of nickel would come from in a virgin oil sample? What about the vanadium and barium?

The base oil is a blend of 1-decene, homopolymer PAO and 1-decene, trimer PAO. The ZDDP is short-chained secondary type. The moly is all tri-nuclear.

Let me know what you think.

EDIT: The VOA seems difficult to read on here when loaded. Here's the data.

Iron: 0
Chromium: 1
Nickel: 14
Aluminum: 0
Copper: 3
Lead: 0
Tin: 0
Cadmium: 0
Silver: 0
Vanadium: 4
Silicon: 23
Sodium: 17
Potassium: 0
Titanium: 0
Molybdenum: 1747
Antimony: 0
Manganese: 0
Lithium: 0
Boron: 118
Magnesium: 4
Calcium: 2488
Barium: 8
Phosphorus: 790
Zinc: 947

KV100 = 10.2 cSt
TBN = 8.72
Oxidation = 11
Nitration = 5

This is a VIRGIN oil sample, not used. OAI screwed that up so ignore the comments.

HPL Bad Ass Racing 5w-30 edited.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JAG
That dose of tri-nuclear moly is impressive. Is this oil for sale to the general public?

I don't see why not, but I wouldn't know where to get it. If you were to contact HPL, I'm sure they'd be able to connect you with a retailer that might have it.

Get it retested, maybe by a different lab, or take the same quart bottle and sent to 2 different labs. I am thinking either the oil you got is fubar, or the test was buggered up.

Oil Analyzers IS "Polaris Labs" and when they saw Nickel that high, I can almost say for sure it was retested as part of protocol. It doesn't matter ifit is VOA why the nickel and in a virgin oil for that matter.

I always thought that anything more than 100ppm of Moly was a waste?

I too would give that a miss.

So many other off the shelf oils I would pick over that.

The silicon is for anti-foaming. I'm not worried about that. I actually want that there.

More than 100 ppm of moly may not show any gains for a daily commuter cruising along at 2000 rpm. The engine this oil is going in is a big block V8 making 1300+ horsepower at 9000 rpm in a highly competitive racing class. We'll take any edge we can get. The margin of victories often come down to thousandths of a second.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I always thought that anything more than 100ppm of Moly was a waste?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading in a research paper posted on here a while back that moly really doesn't start to show real friction reduction benefits until it is OVER 200 ppm. There were a couple other "benefits" to higher moly... as long as the base oil will keep it in suspension.

The formulator got back to me about the 14 ppm of nickel. He said it's just a catalyst leftover from the production of the additive package and not something to worry about. Same for the vanadium. He also noted that the TAN for the sample they've run is 1.46.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
The silicon is for anti-foaming. I'm not worried about that. I actually want that there.

More than 100 ppm of moly may not show any gains for a daily commuter cruising along at 2000 rpm. The engine this oil is going in is a big block V8 making 1300+ horsepower at 9000 rpm in a highly competitive racing class. We'll take any edge we can get. The margin of victories often come down to thousandths of a second.

May I ask where you purchased this oil? My dad is interested in this for his 56' Chevy gasser

Thank You

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

May I ask where you purchased this oil? My dad is interested in this for his 56' Chevy gasser

Thank You

This oil was gifted to me to try it out. I'll find out where it can purchased.

Maybe I am forgetting, but I thought the anti-foaming agent was silicone , not silicon . But if you break down silicone you get the element silicon . So how is one supposed to tell the difference between something good like silicone, vs something bad like silicon from dirt ?

Originally Posted by rubberchicken

Maybe I am forgetting, but I thought the anti-foaming agent was silicone , not silicon . But if you break down silicone you get the element silicon . So how is one supposed to tell the difference between something good like silicone, vs something bad like silicon from dirt ?

It's silicon in the form of polymeric methyl silicone.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Thank You RDY4WAR
smile.gif

I found it at Advanced Lubrication Inc. They sell it in 12 quart cases only for $164.34 (plus tax and shipping) which comes out to about $13.70/qt.

815-932-3288

Last edited:
Back