Mixing 0W-16 and 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by camryrolla
Miller,
I have not done a 10K UOA, but running AFE/EP at 10K is a walk in the park for this Camry. My goal is to extend OCI further to 12,500 miles, and even to 15K OCI if I could.

If you "think" the oil was fine at 10k, why not run the same oil 12.5k and then send it in? Having "more" TBN at a given mileage does absolutely nothing beneficial for your engine... i.e., if two different oils are used and drained at a hard limit of 12.5k, and one oil has a TBN of 2.3 and one has a TBN of 5.2, all this tells you is that BOTH oils could be used in service for some additional time (as long as viscosity is still in grade). However, TBN does not decline linearly, so even the oil that only had a TBN of 2.3 "may" be sufficient to take out to 15k or more... it all depends on your engine and usage. It's not something you can guess about. Amsoil SS is rated to 25k OCIs, and should certainly get you well past your comfort zone at the very least.

From what you're saying (and not saying) in your posts, it sounds to me like you would be almost perfectly served by a nice 5W30 A3/B4 oil. Castrol and Ravenol both make good oils that are in this category that I've used and would recommend. Just remember that picking an oil solely on TBN is like having a chimpanzee pick out your clothes for the day- it may work, but you may end up looking like a monkey.

Pick your oil based on the manufacturer's requirements for your engine and go from there.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
If you want to run longer, just run M1 EP 0w-20. Mixing the two isn't going to give you an improved product.

Amen!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Why would you bother? but even the oil blender recommends against it.

Oil blenders recommend using the oil as they blend it.
Is it any wonder.......

It's a Camry. Run whatever bulk 5w30 the dealer has on special. SIL has done this for over 300k In her 04. With a reasonable OCI you can't kill the [censored] things.

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Why would you bother? but even the oil blender recommends against it.

Oil blenders recommend using the oil as they blend it.
Is it any wonder.......

Argument doesn't make sense...mixing still uses the same number of retail quarts...

I am hesitant to use 0W-40 alone as the base viscosity is already at 13.4 and running it for 12,500 miles will only thicken it further.

Find the Euro manual for that engine. I guarantee they use it overseas, in accordance with the weather. Both of my Honda's, 1 a v6 and 1 a 2.4, I run motul excess 5/40

If you feel frisky mix away. I believe mixing is ok I only mix like half a quart from my last oil change.I would pick a viscosity that you like 20w or 30w and Google the viscosity calculator so you know how much of each to put in.

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
I am hesitant to use 0W-40 alone as the base viscosity is already at 13.4 and running it for 12,500 miles will only thicken it further.

Find the Euro manual for that engine. I guarantee they use it overseas, in accordance with the weather. Both of my Honda's, 1 a v6 and 1 a 2.4, I run motul excess 5/40

For a 2011 Camry 2.5L in Australia they say you can run 0W20, 5W30, 10W30 or 15W40.

So if you want to use 0W40 then use it, it will be fine. Otherwise the M1 0W20EP or 5W30EP are good options.

0w40 is what I put in the wife's Yaris. Stays quiet and I e seen no decline in gas mileage

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pinoak
0w40 is what I put in the wife's Yaris. Stays quiet and I e seen no decline in gas mileage

Another CAFE lie falls on its face. Surprise, surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back