Replacing Center Bearing on Driveshaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at replacing the center driveshaft bearing on my 2005 Lexus LS430. Do I need to make sure the mechanic marks the bolts and such to make sure he reinstalls the driveshaft the same way it came off? I have heard the driveshaft is balanced and it has to go back on the same way. My mechanic told me it didn't matter on this car. What is the truth?

Best practice is to mark it and put it back exactly however the really critical part is that the two halves go back together exactly the same after the center bearing is changed as they are balanced as one assembly

The shafts must absolutely be match marked upon removal when dealing with a 2 piece shaft, as the other poster mentioned it is balanced as an assembled unit regardless of make or model.
On higher end cars the 2 shafts may well be balanced individually and then as a whole, that is why he has gotten away with it before but I wouldn't count on it.

An out of balance shaft can be a real PITA. and will usually need to be corrected by a drive shaft outfit.

Always match mark 2 piece shafts. Keep U-joints in phase. E 28 shafts were individually balanced. The CSB and the front varied with the transmission. From an assembly standpoint, individually balanced is simplest. Regardless of dire warnings, mismatched shafts didn't vibrate if kept in phase. As a general rule whenever I'm taking anything apart for the first time, I match mark. Always leave a trail of breadcrumbs.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Always mark them.....Though it's most likely "Keyed" & you can't get to 2 shafts out of phase. We all know what ASSume means!

And don't assume that they have to line up like you think they should. Early Skylines (and Holdens using that drive line) had UJ's 15 deg out of phase. At first we thought someone had put them together wrong, and lined them back up. But it was factory.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Always mark them.....Though it's most likely "Keyed" & you can't get to 2 shafts out of phase. We all know what ASSume means!

+1 over the years I have come across a few that were were not and would go back together any which way (older Opel was known for this) or more commonly 180 off and in phase. The balance weights on the shafts do not necessarily align either.
I learned my lesson many years ago on an old GMC Long Horn in trade school, with its 8'6" bed they did a factory custom shaft in them. It would have taken a second to put a paint mark and avoid the whole fiasco, lesson learned.

Update, he replaced the center bearing and said he marked the driveshaft. Now I have a him coming from the back of the car. Twice today, I got a vibrating rumble when I put slight pressure in the accelerator going from 35 and up. This noise and vibration does happen until I pressed the accelerator. That rumble vibration has quit but the humming noise is still there.

I may be making this up as my senses are
on high alertt

Thoughts?

My mechanic has been informed.

Further info. Just changing the gear oil to Amsoil 75W-110 and lookey what I found stuck in my right rear brand new Michelin Premiere AS's.

Well, that explains the snow tire sound. LOL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back