Decent “beater” tires...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by andyd
I'm happy with General RT 43s I figure the time I don't waste looking for a bargain is worth something.
grin2.gif

PS, It is the loose nut behind the wheel that is the major factor in tire wear
grin2.gif

I agree, although I don't consider them a "beater" tire. Too expensive to be a beater, although my beaters certainly put them to good use. I've worn out three sets so far, and have a good start on two more.
wink.gif

Search Walmart online or eBay. There's always super deals to be had. Just factor in another $100 for installation (of 4) to be safe, given some shops are on to the mail-order thing and charging more for mount/balance on carry-ins. I've found even with the extra $80-100 for install, it's still a chunk cheaper than tire shop quotes.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
GITI has a US factory in S. Cakalackey. Not sure which lines they manufacture here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Interesting! I've always been quite impressed with the various GT Radial Tires I have used.

+1 for Milestars.
I had serious reservations about running a Chinese tire, but due to an inability to find a WW in the size I needed, this is where I was.
25K so far with no issues with ride, noise, handling and traction. Wear has been even with no rebalances, just rotations. Please note this has been 100% highway miles.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
See what your local craigslists has for used tires......
I did.... got to experiment with many different brands, sizes, qualities......& saved thousands already. Any conclusions about brands are minor, compared to comparative revelations & advantages of large tires. I liked small tires in the past, but now I love large tires. I've got great used tires.... even free used name-brand tires. Even got spare, but "new" Michelin, Continental, Goodyear, & Goodrich tires for as little as $10. As long as people have great tires in their garages that they need to get rid of cheap, I need no new store-bought tires.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
You have a Discount Tire near you, right?

See what they have available. There's a bit of a risk with Chinese tires, but anything else should be OK - albeit not top notch performers.

Yep, have one right by my work. Picked up tires for the wife's Cavalier there before.....

I do try to run solid tires for the the Cobalt (Contis, Sumitomo, Cooper), soI will check them as well...
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
GiTi just built a 1/2 billion dollar manufacturing plant in the U.S.A. Gotta give 'em some love for that!

The GiTi / Firestone marketed Primewell PS890 are supposed to be a pretty good tire.

I think Daves87rs should be our guinea pig
smile.gif

I tried to get the wife to put them on her subaru, but she balked.

She with the mid priced sumitomos for about $175 more for 4 tires M&B on the car

The Sumitomo A/S P02 do have some very aggressive rain evacuating tread. Though this side is not the optimal direction of rotatation.

Im not sure I get this assymetrical but NOT directional design theme,

Photo of the Sumitomos on her '17 Crosstrek. The white stuff is crazy pollen this year.

[Linked Image]

Maybe, we'll see. I will check them out too......

I had a set of Hankook Optimo H724's. I was very happy with them. I liked them better than many higher priced tires I have had.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
I had a set of Hankook Optimo H724's. I was very happy with them.
I had two sets of four Hankook 426 that initially wore well. Later both sets wore quickly, never reaching 36,000 miles. Also, a two tire set of used (half-tread?) Hankook 431 tires, placed on the rear, non-driving wheels, seemed to wear out quickly.

The GT Radial snow tires I got unbelievably cheap off eBay were great this past winter. We'll get another 2-3 winters out of them. Got them for the minivan in my sig.

The Antares comfort A5's I've also put on this van do very well on the back, but wear out in short order on the front.

Douglas tires have treated me well on Subaru applications. I hate going super high end for tires on AWD applications because of the risk of loosing one tire due to an un fixable flat and you have to swap ALL of them.

Originally Posted by JTK
Douglas tires have treated me well......
Got used Douglas tires that will replace our current Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds & I will compare the two. The Goodyears have been great for over 3 years, with more wear to go. The Douglas tires are said to be made on Goodyear equipment, but the materials are much different from the Goodyears.

Originally Posted by daves87rs

See what they have available. There's a bit of a risk with Chinese tires, but anything else should be OK - albeit not top notch performers.

Yep, have one right by my work. Picked up tires for the wife's Cavalier there before.....

I do try to run solid tires for the the Cobalt (Contis, Sumitomo, Cooper), soI will check them as well...
cheers3.gif

The Barum line @ Discount Tire is a division of Continental tires. I tried the Barum Bravuris on my E350 and they were smooth, quiet and had great traction. Looks like the ones for the Cobalt are called the Brillantis 2 @ $52/each.

We put Sentury UHP2 on the old BMW ('02 325i) because it was gonna be traded in ~7 months later because there was no way we were going to drop the coin needed for it to pass emissions, not to mention it had so many other non-emissions related issues it was time to send her on. Only put about 8k miles on them before the car was traded in, doesn't speak for the longevity of the tire but there were no issues in that short amount of time. Looks like their version for the Cobalt is called the Touring @ $39/each.

Personally I was not too sure about the Sentury when we put them on the BMW because it was just a cheap Chinese tire, but looking back it served its purpose (make the car safe to drive for 7 months until its traded in). I put the Barum's on the Mercedes because I had faith in the Continental brand and the car was still pristine with low mileage........unfortunately a car accident 3 weeks later totaled it out and the $$$$ I spent on those tires went down the drain.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Originally Posted by daves87rs

cheers3.gif

The Barum line @ Discount Tire is a division of Continental tires. I tried the Barum Bravuris on my E350 and they were smooth, quiet and had great traction. Looks like the ones for the Cobalt are called the Brillantis 2 @ $52/each.

We put Sentury UHP2 on the old BMW ('02 325i) because it was gonna be traded in ~7 months later because there was no way we were going to drop the coin needed for it to pass emissions, not to mention it had so many other non-emissions related issues it was time to send her on. Only put about 8k miles on them before the car was traded in, doesn't speak for the longevity of the tire but there were no issues in that short amount of time. Looks like their version for the Cobalt is called the Touring @ $39/each.

Personally I was not too sure about the Sentury when we put them on the BMW because it was just a cheap Chinese tire, but looking back it served its purpose (make the car safe to drive for 7 months until its traded in). I put the Barum's on the Mercedes because I had faith in the Continental brand and the car was still pristine with low mileage........unfortunately a car accident 3 weeks later totaled it out and the $$$$ I spent on those tires went down the drain.

Finding folks like these both....and the viva 3s at walmart....

Forgot to add to this....to show the tire I ended up with!

Thanks to someone cutting me off (badly) and causing me to curb a tire and destroy the drivers side tires (both sidewalls were messed up) I was able to limp it to Discount Tire.

Only tire they had in stock for me (during the 4th sale) in my size left was some Goodyear Assurance Tires.

Not what I wanted to spend, but I admit they handle quite nicely on the Cobalt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back