Best Shell/Pennzoil is ?
by Dragon44. 06/16/19 01:22 AM
Getting the the boat ready for summer holidays
by Snagglefoot. 06/15/19 10:57 PM
Fram: With Even More Protection
by TheLawnRanger. 06/15/19 10:01 PM
More kid pictures
by Marco620. 06/15/19 09:34 PM
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 : Does It Hold Up ?
by ChrisD46. 06/15/19 09:16 PM
Filter type for New Holland TC24DA
by jayjr1105. 06/15/19 09:13 PM
Subaru OEM Cut Open (2014 Crosstrek) - 8,000 kms
by mcwilly. 06/15/19 08:30 PM
Fram CA9997
by mcwilly. 06/15/19 08:23 PM
Snoopy found...
by Shannow. 06/15/19 08:15 PM
Tire buying in 5min Sam’s Club
by Patrick0525. 06/15/19 08:11 PM
AR-style rifle -- suggestions
by 92saturnsl2. 06/15/19 08:07 PM
To oil or not oil OPE foam pre-filters
by 92saturnsl2. 06/15/19 07:54 PM
Any Harvest King High mileage VOA'S?
by 53' Stude. 06/15/19 07:24 PM
Champion AGM Batteries
by The Critic. 06/15/19 06:52 PM
Redneck Battery Recovery
by cwilliamsws6. 06/15/19 06:29 PM
Currently Using iPhone 6S...Should I Upgrade?
by john_pifer. 06/15/19 05:08 PM
Is it Router or Comcast?
by RW1. 06/15/19 05:01 PM
Newest Members
SyedTribo, bagyoau, frank57, gheewala114, Rob_Jeff
68413 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
41 registered members (bernau, 53' Stude, Best F100, AndyB, 11 invisible), 671 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics290,259
Posts4,987,230
Members68,412
Most Online2,967
Mar 10th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: daz] #5128166
06/07/19 09:16 PM
06/07/19 09:16 PM
california
wrcsixeight Offline
wrcsixeight  Offline

california
Interstate is a battery marketer, they will get Johnson Controls, Exide, USbattery, whomever to build their batteries, and this can vary regionally. It is about max profit and this is achieved though marketing, as opposed to max quality.

More important than who manufactures a battery, is its average state of charge, and the average temperature the battery is.

All lead acid batteries, for maximum longevity, Ideally want to be kept cool, and absolutely fully charged.

Defects aside, the absolute best Lead acid battery, kept chronically undercharged, will not last as long as the worst battery kept fully charged, assuming being exposed to the same temperatures.

If one is finding their battery only lasts two years, they can blame either their vehicles charging system, and/or themselves for allowing the battery to live in a chronically undercharged state.

An 80% charged battery cannot be returned to a true 100% state of charge in less than 3.5 hours, although a 100% charged battery can be discharged to 80% in a few minutes with a large load applied to it.

Those 3.5 hours to get from 80% to 100% state of charge assume the charging sources voltage regulator is holding the battery up in the 14.5v range, something almost no Vehicle allows. It also assumes a healthy battery. A partially sulfated battery takes significantly longer to get from 80% charged to 100% charged, as it has higher resistance. this partially sulfated battery then degrades even faster when it does not get the time it needs at higher voltages in orde to remotely approach a higher state of charge.

The maintenance minded Bitoger seeking maximum battery longevity would regularly plug their battery into a charger, one that can bring the battery to and hold it at 14.5ish volts for a few hours, on a regular basis, and immediately after they knowingly let the battery get discharged by blasting the stereo engine off, or leaving the dome lights on all night.
Any charging is better than no charging, but the truly fully charged lead acid battery is rare, proveable time and again with a hydrometer.

Vehicle charging systems are not designed to take the best possible care of the battery, though it is assumed by most that the alternator is some instant magical battery charger, and that anytime the vehicle is driven any appreciable time that the battery is fully charged.
This misconception is a battery murderer, and the cure is using a grid powered plug in charger to top the battery off regularly.

Many newer vehicles intentionally keep the battery in an underchrged state, so tha it can accept higher amperage from teh alternator when teh voltage regulator asks for 14.5ish or higher system voltage. Even on such vehicles, the battery would appreciate being truly fully charged by an outside source.

How well or not the plug in charger works in taking the battery to a true full 100% state of charge is another topic, but even if the 'smart' charger stops at 95% charged, it is 200% better for the battery than being only 75% charged.

If your vehicle and your usage of it keeps the battery in an average low state of charge, and you cannot or will not apply an outside charging source on a regular basis, then just buy the cheapest battery with the warranty most easily to exchange it, as a battery battery is not going to be immune from abuse, and abuse is being less than 100% state of charge, and hot. The lower the average state of charge and the longer it resides there the faster the battery will lose capacity and CCA.

No lead acid battery is immune from living its life in an undercharged state, no matter how well marketed it is, and almost all starting batteries have reduced plate thickness and number and quality of the paste, to whaatever minimum that still yields maximum profit for them.

Last edited by wrcsixeight; 06/07/19 09:30 PM.

LA 318 Roller Cam
Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 HM
Fram ultra XG8A
Fram Ultra XG16 on remote transmission filter mount
Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: daz] #5131807
06/11/19 09:55 PM
06/11/19 09:55 PM
Cajun Country, La.
BlueOvalFitter Online happy
BlueOvalFitter  Online Happy

Cajun Country, La.
Originally Posted by daz
Is this a decent battery? I have had my batteries last such a short time in recet years i figure why bother with paying anything more than this. https://costco.interstatebatteries....69926&choice5=1569927&Country=US

In 2015 CR rated the INTERSTATE battery #1 in a test of 10 batteries.
I buy my batteries from Battery Warehouse. The current battery in my truck will be 3 years old in August 2019. I paid $96.14 for it, with a 3 year warranty.

"One Filter, One OCI!"
2007 F150, 4.2 V6
Havoline HM 5W20, MC FL-400S
"One Box, One OCI!"
Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: BlueOvalFitter] #5131809
06/11/19 09:59 PM
06/11/19 09:59 PM
KS
FordBroncoVWJeta Offline
FordBroncoVWJeta  Offline

KS
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by daz
Is this a decent battery? I have had my batteries last such a short time in recet years i figure why bother with paying anything more than this. https://costco.interstatebatteries....69926&choice5=1569927&Country=US

I buy my batteries from Battery Warehouse. The current battery in my truck will be 3 years old in August 2019. I paid $96.14 for it, with a 3 year warranty.

I don't understand how Interstate batteries could come out on #1. Considering theirs only three manufactures for batteries?

2017 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T - 2015 Honda CRV 2.4 - 2012 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 - 2007 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2 - 2003 Ford Taurus 3.0 Vulcan
Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: BlueOvalFitter] #5131812
06/11/19 10:13 PM
06/11/19 10:13 PM
Virginia
bbhero Offline
bbhero  Offline

Virginia
Interstate does not manufacture a single battery... It is labeled JC battery in all likelihood. Though I've heard of some made by East Penn... Interstate is just a brand/sticker.
I learned this 4 years ago on here in fact smile

Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
Carquest High mileage full synthetic 5w30
CQ blue 84356 Oil filter
"Treat your family like your friends and treat your friends like your family."
Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: wrcsixeight] #5132359
06/12/19 02:08 PM
06/12/19 02:08 PM
US
talest Offline
talest  Offline

US
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
Interstate is a battery marketer, they will get Johnson Controls, Exide, USbattery, whomever to build their batteries, and this can vary regionally. It is about max profit and this is achieved though marketing, as opposed to max quality.

More important than who manufactures a battery, is its average state of charge, and the average temperature the battery is.

All lead acid batteries, for maximum longevity, Ideally want to be kept cool, and absolutely fully charged.

Defects aside, the absolute best Lead acid battery, kept chronically undercharged, will not last as long as the worst battery kept fully charged, assuming being exposed to the same temperatures.

If one is finding their battery only lasts two years, they can blame either their vehicles charging system, and/or themselves for allowing the battery to live in a chronically undercharged state.

An 80% charged battery cannot be returned to a true 100% state of charge in less than 3.5 hours, although a 100% charged battery can be discharged to 80% in a few minutes with a large load applied to it.

Those 3.5 hours to get from 80% to 100% state of charge assume the charging sources voltage regulator is holding the battery up in the 14.5v range, something almost no Vehicle allows. It also assumes a healthy battery. A partially sulfated battery takes significantly longer to get from 80% charged to 100% charged, as it has higher resistance. this partially sulfated battery then degrades even faster when it does not get the time it needs at higher voltages in orde to remotely approach a higher state of charge.

The maintenance minded Bitoger seeking maximum battery longevity would regularly plug their battery into a charger, one that can bring the battery to and hold it at 14.5ish volts for a few hours, on a regular basis, and immediately after they knowingly let the battery get discharged by blasting the stereo engine off, or leaving the dome lights on all night.
Any charging is better than no charging, but the truly fully charged lead acid battery is rare, proveable time and again with a hydrometer.

Vehicle charging systems are not designed to take the best possible care of the battery, though it is assumed by most that the alternator is some instant magical battery charger, and that anytime the vehicle is driven any appreciable time that the battery is fully charged.
This misconception is a battery murderer, and the cure is using a grid powered plug in charger to top the battery off regularly.

Many newer vehicles intentionally keep the battery in an underchrged state, so tha it can accept higher amperage from teh alternator when teh voltage regulator asks for 14.5ish or higher system voltage. Even on such vehicles, the battery would appreciate being truly fully charged by an outside source.

How well or not the plug in charger works in taking the battery to a true full 100% state of charge is another topic, but even if the 'smart' charger stops at 95% charged, it is 200% better for the battery than being only 75% charged.

If your vehicle and your usage of it keeps the battery in an average low state of charge, and you cannot or will not apply an outside charging source on a regular basis, then just buy the cheapest battery with the warranty most easily to exchange it, as a battery battery is not going to be immune from abuse, and abuse is being less than 100% state of charge, and hot. The lower the average state of charge and the longer it resides there the faster the battery will lose capacity and CCA.

No lead acid battery is immune from living its life in an undercharged state, no matter how well marketed it is, and almost all starting batteries have reduced plate thickness and number and quality of the paste, to whaatever minimum that still yields maximum profit for them.

This is probably the best post ever on batteries.

Also, yeah, Interstate took a dive in quality, they used to be the best batteries you can buy, now there is no longer anything special about them. It used to be if you wanted the absolute best, you would go in and spend the extra money premium on an Interstate and get a great, heavy, serious Interstate battery and it would last 7 years or so in almost all circumstances. Now it's just the same as the ones you get from regular channels.

Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: BlueOvalFitter] #5132366
06/12/19 02:12 PM
06/12/19 02:12 PM
US
talest Offline
talest  Offline

US
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by daz

I can get a battery for between $48 and $75-range if I look hard enough. Some stores still sell the kind that does not have an inflated price to subsidize their extended warranty, which they will then fight you on.

Choose stores carefully. The same store with the lower price batteries has batteries with the date of manufacture sticker the same month as you buy them, or the month before. The store down the street with the more expensive batteries (in this case, brand name Energizer same as AA, AAA, C, D, 9V batteries) has units from July or November 2018. Only imagine how much they have discharged on the shelf. And there is nothing wrong with looking at each battery and taking them all off the rack to get the one with the newest date of manufacture number.

Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: talest] #5132456
06/12/19 04:15 PM
06/12/19 04:15 PM
Virginia
bbhero Offline
bbhero  Offline

Virginia
You are right on.... Wrcsixeight post on this are the best by a long shot. He is the battery go to guy on here.

Last edited by bbhero; 06/12/19 04:15 PM.

Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
CQ blue 84356 Oil filter
Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: talest] #5132541
06/12/19 06:35 PM
06/12/19 06:35 PM
Ohio
hallstevenson Offline
hallstevenson  Offline

Ohio
Originally Posted by talest
And there is nothing wrong with looking at each battery and taking them all off the rack to get the one with the newest date of manufacture number.
When I was at Walmart to get a new battery, they had a mix of (newer) Exide and (older) Johnson Controls. Between the two, the general opinion is JC is better so I was trying to find the "freshest" JC battery. An employee saw me trying to reach all of the different ones to compare and I told him I was trying to find the newest one they had. He said, "we load new batteries from the front" (this store has their batteries on a dedicated rack with slanted rollers) which means if they actually do it that way, it's very likely that old batteries will continually get pushed back and back. I guess rotating stock or "FIFO" doesn't mean anything to them...

Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: hallstevenson] #5132622
06/12/19 08:05 PM
06/12/19 08:05 PM
Virginia
bbhero Offline
bbhero  Offline

Virginia
The Wally World near me actually does put new ones behind the older ones... So I know to dig to the back for a newest battery. Then I put all the other ones back like one should.

Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
CQ blue 84356 Oil filter
Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: bbhero] #5133657
06/13/19 09:56 PM
06/13/19 09:56 PM
USA
AC1DD Offline
AC1DD  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by bbhero
The Wally World near me actually does put new ones behind the older ones... So I know to dig to the back for a newest battery. Then I put all the other ones back like one should.

Yes, as long as you put things back I don't see why the Wally World associates would be [censored] about you looking for the freshest date.

Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: AC1DD] #5133765
06/14/19 03:27 AM
06/14/19 03:27 AM
Virginia
bbhero Offline
bbhero  Offline

Virginia
Yes I do put them back where they belong. It is just what should be done. No sense in being a moron not putting things back.

Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
CQ blue 84356 Oil filter
Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: bbhero] #5134223
06/14/19 04:51 PM
06/14/19 04:51 PM
US
talest Offline
talest  Offline

US
Originally Posted by bbhero

That is what I did. No doubt, somewhere, someone's Walmart will have an employee questioning them on what they are doing. A simple explanation should suffice.. you want the newest battery, is there a problem? No, there is not. Some stores have real kids working there, don't understand basic things.

I did not know Walmart also had a Johnson Controls vs Exide thing going on. Of course, I too have heard the information that Johnson Controls is "better." Bosch is supposed to be Exide.. well, this time, I simply selected the newest batteries. They must have gotten them in no more than a few days before, if not the day before. I got the same month. Later, before May turned to June, there were exactly four left.. two of each kind in the ones I was looking at. There were seven or eight when I bought mine and confirmed I got the newest one in the visually best condition, a perfect battery. This time, I am not paying attention to the brand etc, and keeping it on my smart charger until which time as my car goes back into service. In the meantime, I am using my other vehicles and I prefer my truck.

This battery, the one that cost $48 and I believe they took the old one (that was a Johnson Controls and had a bulge and likely a shorted cell, voltmeter numbers should not jump when connected) for the core charge. This one is being kept in the maximum state of charge, is presently on the 13.6V Float charge until it goes into Monitor mode which is the 2nd green light, and should be in perfect shape when it is time to use it. Might throw on even a pulse thing for when my car really gets back in service. People think it is unnecessary but even Tesla speaks to batteries being living things that need a continuous flow of electrons, and this battery should last a very long time. I can see that.

Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: daz] #5135210
06/15/19 07:57 PM
06/15/19 07:57 PM
Suburban Washington DC
atikovi Offline
atikovi  Offline

Suburban Washington DC
Originally Posted by daz
Well, the walmart site says there are only 2 batteries to fit my 04 accord and the cheaper one is $120.

Check the 26R for under $50. Not the exact replacement but at that price I'd MAKE it fit. Measure the battery box dimensions plus height and compare to the actual battery in the store.

Re: Interstate batteries? [Re: atikovi] #5135324
06/15/19 10:01 PM
06/15/19 10:01 PM
Virginia
bbhero Offline
bbhero  Offline

Virginia
^^^^^^^^

This is a really good idea. A 26r would just about guarantee to fit... Height is the same or less than 51r.. No problem there. Width should not be an issue because a group 35 typically fits in Honda's that originally spec a 51r... So a 26r will be just fine. Polarity is obviously the same.

Nissan Altima 3.5 Coupe
CQ blue 84356 Oil filter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™