My daily is now totaled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bye bye Honda!

It was honestly a great car, but it bored me so I'm not even mad, just happy to be alive.

I complained about those goodyears since the day I got the car new (I hate goodyears with a passion).. absolutely zero traction. Touched a bit of standing water and that's all it took, zero control, 70mph sideways into a tree. Airbags blown, B pillar pushed in, everything scratched, wires ripped out, it's definitely totaled.

My built STI will have daily duty for now! So it will make some interesting UOAs.
The goal is to find an old 2002/03 wrx hatch to restore and daily (don't want payments ever again). Also from now on.. my driveway will be Subaru only and no more Goodyear tires ever.

The accident:
https://youtu.be/7Qo1bkSPZbg

6F2297AC-C85E-489E-B2AC-B188AD444A83.jpeg

If you knew the tires were bad, you should have swapped them out a long time ago. I did the same on a car I bought. Hated the tires because they had no traction. That seems to be the thing with factory tires, low rolling resistance for better gas mileage so they can goose up their CAFE numbers but who cares about stopping or handling.

Originally Posted by Danno
Excessive speed for conditions and equipment.

No doubt. Interesting how it holds so "steady" for drifting sideways.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
If you knew the tires were bad, you should have swapped them out a long time ago. I did the same on a car I bought. Hated the tires because they had no traction. That seems to be the thing with factory tires, low rolling resistance for better gas mileage so they can goose up their CAFE numbers but who cares about stopping or handling.

Yeah, no wonder the Si was getting 40mpg highway..

You should have it crushed into a solid block of steel, glass and rubber and put it in your front yard as a memorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - don't think this was the tires, speed seems to be the main issue. Look how fast the lane markings are going by and how fast the water is beading up in the windshield, not to mention the incredible wind noise.

100% Operator error.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Yeah - don't think this was the tires, speed seems to be the main issue. Look how fast the lane markings are going by and how fast the water is beading up in the windshield, not to mention the incredible wind noise.

100% Operator error.

Lol that's called RainX that's applied to the windshield to make it do that, and that's about 70mph the same as everyone else was doing.

Trust me, at that kind of speed, hydroplaning starts-there is nothing that can be done except hold on & pray. Worse than ice. That's why all my stuff is old, but with great rubber (and brakes, and steering parts)!

My Escape with OEM Michelin Energy Savers would get squirrelly at 50mph in wet conditions. Some tires don't like wet conditions and they like it less at higher speeds.

Originally Posted by MrWideTires
and that's about 70mph the same as everyone else was doing.

HAHA, so if everyone jumped off the the Brooklyn bridge, you would too? And that line is what everybody says when pulled over by a cop with a radar gun. 70mph is the speed limit in ideal conditions, not pouring rain.

Looks like you were doing 70+. If you were unhappy with the tires and knew they were marginal, you have 2 choices, slow down in those conditions and or replace them. Your decisions bit you badly.

I'm glad you are ok! That could have turned out badly. A large limb coming in through the windshield at that speed would be fatal. Glad you are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back