New Super Cub - how long before road trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm planning a 200-mile round-trip to my hometown on the new Super Cub.
No interstate or major highways, and no need to run over 50-mph.
I've currently logged a whopping 90 miles on it so far. (work schedule and family)
Mobil 1 TDT is my oil of choice for this little machine.
Being OCD, I've already flushed the oil twice (once at 20, and again at 50 miles).
Reason was to remove any flakes and / or sparkles present in the oil - which there was actually very little of.

How far into the break-in process do you guys think I should get (how many miles) before I make this trip?

FWIW - I've made this trip many times on my 2009 Honda Metropolitan (with 15k miles).

Last edited:
That single cylinder engine was already broken in by fifty miles I assume. My Cub doesn't have a tach but I'm pretty sure horizontals spin pretty high RPM.

You're good man, they are impossible to kill. I didn't know they brought them to North America. I have a 1981 and the new ones make it look an antique. ABS on a Super Cub?!

Originally Posted by Audios
Take it now, would be a good run to help break in, and then another oil change when you get back.

Kinda what I was thinking, while trying to avoid prolonged steady-rpm stretches.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
You're good man, they are impossible to kill. I didn't know they brought them to North America. I have a 1981 and the new ones make it look an antique. ABS on a Super Cub?!

ABS & Fuel Injection. No spokes either.

Limited run this year, hopefully they'll keep importing them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
Take it now, would be a good run to help break in, and then another oil change when you get back.

Yup, I would do it now.
Initial changes got all the "stuff" out, a 200 mile run of what sounds like back roadish route with variable speeds and occasional stops would be a great break in for it.

If you want to be particular, run it a few hundred miles then change right before you leave.

In all reality, you could leave tomorrow morning on your trip with the factory fill in place and you'll experience zero difference over the life of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
If you want to be particular, run it a few hundred miles then change right before you leave.

In all reality, you could leave tomorrow morning on your trip with the factory fill in place and you'll experience zero difference over the life of the vehicle.

Already did 2 initial flushes (OCD Bitog Member), and I agree with you and Bluphpher's above post - will go this weekend.
Thanks all.

you can use the trip as part of the break-in; your concern about steady rpm's can be mitigated by using a route with variable road pitches (hills, twists, turns) that will have you throttling up & down multiple times; also take deliberate breaks to shut down & allow the engine & transmission to cool; take your wrench set & some chain lube for chain tension adjustments and lubing the chain after rain; otherwise...ride it during break-in as you will normally ride it

The Super cub has an enclosed chain drive, no need to lube after a rain, With that said, what is the maintenance interval for the chain?

Curious as to the engine oil weight Honda recommends? The C70 Passport we owned in the 80's called for 10w40 with 10w30 on the lower end and 20w40 on the higher end on terms of covering the temp range. Is the oil capacity still around .7 qts?

Originally Posted by Bonz
what is the maintenance interval for the chain?

Curious as to the engine oil weight Honda recommends? The C70 Passport we owned in the 80's called for 10w40 with 10w30 on the lower end and 20w40 on the higher end on terms of covering the temp range. Is the oil capacity still around .7 qts?

Honda recommends 300-miles for the chain inspection / lube. I can live with that.
Honda also now recommends a 10w30 with a 4000 mile OCI. No other grade is listed in the manual.
Sorry, but mine gets 5w40 (T6 or Mobil 1 TDT) since it's air cooled and it'll get changed every 1000 miles.
It only takes 27 ounces of oil. I did, however, install a magnetic drain plug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lawn_Care

Honda recommends 300-miles for the chain inspection / lube. I can live with that.
Honda also now recommends a 10w30 with a 4000 mile OCI. No other grade is listed in the manual.
Sorry, but mine gets 5w40 (T6 or Mobil 1 TDT) since it's air cooled and it'll get changed every 1000 miles.
It only takes 27 ounces of oil. I did, however, install a magnetic drain plug.

No oil filter, correct?

Originally Posted by blupupher
No oil filter, correct?

Yes, that is correct. Typical Honda small engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher
No oil filter, correct?

Yes, that is correct. Typical Honda small engine.

Probably has the centripical oil cleaner, just like Honda used 40+ years ago.

What does your Honda Owners Manual say pertaining to proper break in procedure? I'd go by their recommendation. I believe they know a thing or two about your single cylinder 125cc air cooled engine. I've always followed the manufactures break in procedures over the years with any bike (or automobile) I've owned.

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
What does your Honda Owners Manual say pertaining to proper break in procedure? I'd go by their recommendation. I believe they know a thing or two about your single cylinder 125cc air cooled engine. I've always followed the manufactures break in procedures over the years with any bike (or automobile) I've owned.

True, and a lot of people do. I decided on the 'ride it like you'll ride it' method - not hard on it but not babying it either.

Luggage rack finally came in. Super easy to install, no fit and finish issues.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Honda sells the same air cooled engines in every first, second and third world country on the globe. Probably millions and millions owned by folks who unfortunately can't even read the manual. Everything that needs to be broken in, is broken in way before the recommended interval has expired.

Run it up the rpm range and let the engine brake back down deliberately and often, don't cruise at constant throttle in the first few rides, keep going up and down the rpm range more times, and going through heat cycles take the top spot for me in terms of a regimen.

Keeping the piston rings under load against the cylinder walls from acceleration and engine braking, and the oil being pulled up onto the cylinder walls under engine braking keeps the critical parts happy those first miles.

I have shared this link before in other threads. Good read and shows empirically there is really no difference. I would be open to articles that show detrimental effects based on before and after measurements of key parts.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/busting-engine-break-in-myth/

Luggage rack finally came in. Super easy to install, no fit and finish issues.

Any plans for a windscreen?
There is a guy local to me that just got a new Super Cub, met him at a local meet and greet.
He does some medium distance travels on his, had gone camping a few weeks before carrying everything on his Super Cub. He has a rack on his as well.
He had bought a windscreen (sent from Italy I think he said?) and really liked it, except he had some mounting issues with it and was waiting to hear back from the company (missing a mounting bolt, and something about threads being messed up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back