Listed my upstate NY house today

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a lot of work by my wife and I we got our house ready to photograph and list. Pictures were taken today. Of course now we need to keep it neat so it can be shown. Then there is moving. We already own our retirement home and there is enough stuff in it (bed, a few dishes and pots, reclining chair for me, TV) so we can live there weekends when we bring more stuff down. At lot of stuff will be sold vs moved.

Our big delay (wanted to list April 1) was some front landscaping to give the house the WOW factor. And we started talking to the landscaping people last year. And started selling stuff on Craigslist a year ago. Then there was a new roof, done in one day. Walkway last year, painted last fall.

Ready to move and retire.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
I can't wait to get out of Illinois...

Makes two of us.

Congrats. I hated getting our last house ready for sale. We are staying put for the next 15-20 years, hopefully. I'm selling/donating most of what we have the next time we move and just buying new stuff. Moving sucks! Enjoy retirement and good luck with the sale.

Originally Posted by Pew

Makes two of us.

Oh yes. I see people every day either losing $100k on their house just to get rid of it or opting to rent it out at a loss (bad idea). At least around me (burbs) the market is so bad. I know of a house in a classy area near me where a $1.5mil house is on the market now for $500k less still can't get offers. Then I hear from my friends that have left describing housing markets where houses are selling hours after listing. One of them bought his house two hours after list and he never saw it live. Had to do it.

Both the short term and long term outlooks here are very grim. People are leaving if they are able.

Congrats to the OP on getting into that retirement house. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by Donald

Ready to move and retire.

Move to a flyover state. Seriously. Life is better and cheaper by far.

Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wyoming have no income tax - for any residents. Get out from Zoo York as soon as you can.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
He is moving to Delaware; Don't you guys read? lol

He doesnt state that in this thread, so sarcastic comments are unwarranted. lol.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
He is moving to Delaware; Don't you guys read? lol

Just as bad. Get out of the N.E.

I move into my new house next week. Really nice neighborhood for the kids, and good school district. THEN to move all our junk, and paint, and pressure wash, and clean, and landscape, and everything else to get the old house ready to sell. Looking forward to that in July and August in Florida ...

Oh, and carrying two mortgages for the foreseeable future until our old house sells. The good news is that we have so much equity in our current house, that we were able to essentially get into a new house that is double the value of our current house with only a small increase monthly.

Last edited:
Good luck with the sale...
I am also in the process of selling a house in Silicon Valley; near the Apple Spaceship, Google and Facebook.
It will sell in 1 week. Stupid money. Who knew?
I wouldn't buy it.

Again, good luck.

Last edited:

I graduated from Millikin University in 1982 and escaped Illinois in early 1984. Thankfully.

I still go back a couple times a year to visit family but I'm always happy to reach the Indiana line on eastbound I-74 and see "the land of imprisoned governors" in the rear-view mirror.

Congrats on retirement.I'v been retired for 2yrs Best job ever. I moved into my house in 1978, I hope to leave it feet first. Compared to the other parts of the country I've seen, I'm fine right where I am.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back