Lifan 168F-2(Honda GX200 clone) oil recommendation confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have some questions about the oil recommendations of a Lifan 168F-2 engine, which I believe to be a Honda GX200 clone. I bought this engine from a German importer(Wiltec) which also provides the manual for the engine. The manual doesn't have an oil viscosity chart and simply says to use 15W-40 in summer and winter.

I also found a manual from Lifan Power USA which contains the attached viscosity chart(lifan_en_chart), which recommends 10W-30 for the most temperatures. This also seems to be the same chart that Honda used for their engines a few years back.

I asked Wiltec about this discrepancy and asked if there is any reason for them recommending 15W-40 but they didn't really provide an answer to my question and simply reiterated to use 15W-40. I'm inclined to trust the Honda and Lifan USA manual more than the importer's but wanted to know your opinion on the topic. I'm wondering if they're simply recommending 15W-40 because it's an inexpensive oil for an inexpensive engine.

Also, a while ago Honda changed their chart to the one attached(honda_new_chart), which allows 5W-30 to be used whenever 10W-30 is allowed to be used. 10W-30 is a pretty uncommon viscosity where I'm from and there is a much larger(and cheaper) selection of 5W-30 oils available.
Would you use a 5W-30 in summer this Lifan engine?

I have a GM 5W-30 in mind.
It has the following specifications: ACEA A3/B4, API SM/CF, MB 229.51, GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025, BMW Longlife-04, VW 502.00, 505.00, 505.01.

If anyone knows I'm also curious to learn why Honda changed the temperature range for 5W-30. Was it due to some changes on their engines or because of improvements of the oils?

Thanks a lot

lifan_en_chart.png

honda_new_chart.png

If 10w30 is hard to find in your area, I would run 15w40 in summer temps and 5w30 in below freezing temps.
15w40 seems to work well in air cooled engines since it doesnt shear or thin out as bad in high temps.

Your GM oil will be perfectly fine. I'd do first oil change after 5 hours.

Alternatively I'd use any oil with A3/B4 cert.

Edit : temp range change is a relic from oldish 5W30 which didn't handle heat as well as the 10W30 of the era. The ACEA certification should ensure it will resist. If you want tougher spec based on A3/B4, Mercedes 229.5 is the way to go. European oils are stout.

(Makes me think that your GM oil is probably based on a old definition of A3/B4, maybe a few years old)

This is the Briggs and Stratton oil chart and recommendations. I think it is the best oil recommendation, of all the major small engine manufacturers. I do find it odd that they completely bypass 15W40 oil and go right to 15W50. This is probably because they don't sell a 15W40 oil, but DO sell a 15W50 oil.

Based on my experience and thousands of oil changes on small engines, YES, I believe 15W40 is likely the best oil you can run in your Chinese GX200 clone engine....

[Linked Image]

*Below 40°F (4°C) the use of SAE 30 will result in hard starting.

**Above 80°F (27°C) the use of 10W30 may cause increased oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently.

We recommend the use of Briggs & Stratton Warranty Certified oils for best performance. Other high-quality detergent oils are acceptable if classified for service SF, SG, SH, SJ or higher. Do not use special additives.

Outdoor temperatures determine the proper oil viscosity for the engine. Use the chart to select the best viscosity for the outdoor temperature range expected. Engines on most outdoor power equipment operate well with 5W30 Synthetic oil. For equipment operated in hot temperatures, Vanguard 15W50 Synthetic oil provides the best protection.

Use SAE 30 in warmer temperatures of 40° F and higher (5° C and higher)
Use SAE 10W-30 for a varying temperature range of 0 to 100° F (-18 to 38° C), this grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher
A synthetic oil SAE 5W-30 is the best for very cold temperatures of -20 to as high as 120° F (-30 to 40° C) providing the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption
Use SAE 5W-30 for very cold temperatures of 40° F and below (5° C and below)
For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (temperatures from 20°F to 130°F)
Things to keep in mind when choosing lawn mower oil:

Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher.
Do not use special additives.
Synthetic oils are an acceptable oil at all temperatures. Use of synthetic oil does not alter required oil change intervals.

That Lifan will run a long time on any 30wt variant given good maintenance by a standard user. For added protection and heavy-duty use, I too would go with a 15w40 if that's easy/cheap for you to source. I've heard very few complaints with Lifan engines. Never experienced one myself.

I have a 196cc Chonda on my generator; it could be the same engine as yours. I've been running Rotella T6 5w-40 HDEO for the past three years. You didn't mention your application, but I would not enjoy pull starting an engine with 15w-40 oil during an Austrian winter.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
YES, I believe 15W40 is likely the best oil you can run in your Chinese GX200 clone engine....

^^ I agree with this. ^^

All of my small air cooled engines get regular 15W-40 heavy duty engine oil in the summer.

Just put whatever A3/B4 oil in it...

I am running my B&S Lawnmover, Tecumseh Snowblower, Chinese Honda knockoff generator on anything that is sae40......Usually on Shell helix ultra 5w40 ( I prefer synthetic oil in AIR cooled OPE)

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Based on my experience and thousands of oil changes on small engines, YES, I believe 15W40 is likely the best oil you can run in your Chinese GX200 clone engine....

Edit. I read your location as AUSTRALIA, not Austria. Based on your climate, you would probably do fine with a synthetic 5W30.

What is the engine mounted to?

So it seems an ACEA A3/B4 rated 5W-30 should be fine for this engine. I'm currently trying to build an inertial dyno for small engines and I'm using the lifan as a test engine while building it. This means the engine is under load only for a very short period of time(< 1 min) and most of its run time is warming up with no load attached. I might add a generator at a later time to put the engine under a light load to help warming it up better.

Unfortunately I just noticed, that it doesn't mention the ACEA A3/B4 specs on the GM 5W-30 oil can. It only mentions ACEA C3 on the can. All the other API(SM/CF) and manufacturer specifications I mentioned in my initial post are still mentioned on the can. When I wrote my initial post I was copying the specifications from the Amazon listing where I bought the oil where ACEA A3/B4 is mentioned. I don't know if that is outdated information or if the oil never had the A3/B4 ratings.

Will a ACEA C3 oil work just as well or is there something special in the A3/B4 specifications which are required for my application?

C3 spec is more logical with the MB 229.51 cert.

A3/B4 should go with 229.5

Maybe the listing was wrong, whatever the C3 oil will be fine as the HTHS value and wear limit is the same as A3. It's also a lower ash oil, to limit ash deposits, maybe not bad for a small engine.

I'd say use it but buy something else next time, like some Total Quartz 9000 5W40 ?
I used it mixed with the same Total in 0W30 in my lawn mower...leftovers from cars oil changes most if the time.

Yes our oil here is more expensive in comparison to theirs...but I would never trade ACEA specs for API / ILSAC specs
smile.gif

They can have their "oily water" over there
laugh.gif
I dont find our oil too expensive for what it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back