Motorcraft FS 5W-50, 2994 mi, 2017 Mustang GT350 5.2L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Pretty happy with this. I changed the oil at around 12 months, indicated oil life remaining in the instrument cluster was 5%. Motorcraft FL-2062 filter.

Car has not been tracked, but I beat on it pretty hard sometimes after it's gotten up to 190 on the oil temp gauge.

It looks fine I was expecting a lot more break in noise but this looks like a engine which is easy on the oil at least if you don't regularly track it. Under these conditions I recommend you follow the iOLM.

Originally Posted by Spart
[Linked Image]

Pretty happy with this. I changed the oil at around 12 months, indicated oil life remaining in the instrument cluster was 5%. Motorcraft FL-2062 filter.

Car has not been tracked, but I beat on it pretty hard sometimes after it's gotten up to 190 on the oil temp gauge.

Just a heads up, Ford changed the filter for the 5.2L to a FL-2087 within the past month or so.

Originally Posted by dave1251
It looks fine I was expecting a lot more break in noise but this looks like a engine which is easy on the oil at least if you don't regularly track it. Under these conditions I recommend you follow the iOLM.

Thanks! I'm guessing the IOLM is going to trip once every 12 months, which is fine by me.

I have given this engine a thrashing a time or two, but generally I'm easy on it and don't rag on it when it's cold.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Just a heads up, Ford changed the filter for the 5.2L to a FL-2087 within the past month or so.

Huh. Looks like that is indeed what 2019 GT350's are coming with. Too bad I already have two of the FL-2062's on the shelf. Good thing they were only $5. Thanks!

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
You barely move the car.

Isn't a daily driver. It's a fun car. For weekends and such. Have you heard of those?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Thanks for the post, but um, 190 deg F is not hot. The engine coolant temp is 210 F.
smile.gif

Thanks for the post, but I didn't say 190°F is hot. I said that's the temp that I get it up to before I beat on it. 190°F is where the PCM opens up the redline to the full 8250RPM in this particular vehicle, so it's the point at which I decide it's okay to beat on. This car has an external oil cooler and the oil lags behind the coolant quite a bit. The coolant gets to temperature several miles before the oil does. As a matter of fact, if you drive the car on a cold day the oil temperature will pretty much never get to 190°F. Even on a 70°F day, you probably have to drive about five miles before the oil gets up to 190°F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back