August 28th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happened today:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...ding-polish-soldier-from-suicide-bomber/

August 28th, 2013, I was there, happened within 15 minutes of getting to Ghazni. During the early months of my deployment we were attached to 10th Mountain even though I was in 1st Cav.

That explosion was felt throughout that FOB.
10th Mountain, 1st Cav, and Polish forces were going crazy, Polish Hinds were already in the air as soon as that explosion happened.

I was knocked from the top of my bunk, slammed the concrete hard, and everything after was a haze. I remember getting in my truck and driving to the site of the explosion. I dont remember much about after, other than the concussion/TBI sustained has led me and a few others to a life of epilepsy and seizures.

Was a long two weeks after for all of us, once we got the go ahead to leave, we moved to Ghazni a few months later from the first FOB my company was at.

Although I didnt personally know the soldier who died, all I can say is RIP Brother.

Edit: I was 21 in Afghanistan. I saw this war pop off in 2001 when I was...9...its still going on to this day.

I am 27 now.

Please no politics in this post, just keep our service men and women in your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
Got a little misty here when I read that the Polish soldier named his son after the hero...

RIP to Sgt. Ollis and I sincerely hope your suffering eases over time, GumbyJarvis.

RIP and thank you for your service.
34.gif

Thank you for your service to our country! May the good Lord look out for you in the years to come and ease your pain.

This is an early news report from that day.
There used to be a video out there of the explosion going off.

The last I heard recently Ghazni was or is currently going through a battle with enemy forces who had taken over the city. Living in that area for months, it makes me sad to see what happened when allies forces left.
That's life I suppose, I just hope that the locals are safe and sound and got out before it was too late.

Also: News reports will say that this occured during the night or early morning. During certain times of the year, the sun rises there between 3:45-4:45AM, unless its Snowing, then you dont see the sun for weeks.

Last edited:
My son is currently serving with the 10th Mountain in the Kandahar province, but due to redeploy to Ft Drum within days.
We've seen these sort of reports during his two deployments to Afghanistan and they shake to my knees every time.
His mother and I wake up every morning and our first thought is wondering if our son is still alive.
The 10th Mountain has been the most deployed force in the Army for many years, but they are well trained and always ready. I don't think we can imagine what this young mans family has gone through and continues to endure daily. But this young man is a great example of the bravery and strength of these young men we support.
Maybe one day we can put that [censored] hole behind us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back