manual transmission fluid recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchase a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon with a manual transmission an I want to change the fluid in it. The owners manual specifies 75w-90 and most of the oils I see are synchromesh. I've no idea what that is nor what it does for my transmission. What are your guys' suggestions for the oil to use?

Redline MT90. Synchromesh would be too thin and you'd destroy the bearings. Synchromesh is for manual trannies that spec atf.

I had a tiburon with the famous 1-2 grind. Vavloline synchromesh made it like new. Still shifting perfect 2 years on it. I tried gl4 redline 75-90 and it was terrible in it. That synchromesh was the only thing that made it shift good. I had the 2.0 5 spd. Check out newtiburon forum tons of good info.

The easiest to obtain 75w90 that you'd actually want to use in a manual transmission would be Liqui-Moly 20012. Napa carries it or can get it for you at a fair price. Part number LM20012

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The easiest to obtain 75w90 that you'd actually want to use in a manual transmission would be Liqui-Moly 20012. Napa carries it or can get it for you at a fair price. Part number LM20012

The problem is that Liqui-Moly states on their own site that this product is GL-4/5 that is not the correct fluid for a synchromesh transaxle.

Better off with a GL-4 only specification.

[Linked Image]

What are the exact specs mentioned in the manual ? GL4, GL5, etc ?

Last manual Hyundai I changed the gear oil called for GL4, I'd use Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W90, but I'm sure there are some equivalent in the US.

although costly Redline is prolly the best + i used MT90 with excellent results. its a 75-90 so check their site or call + talk to a real person-tech!!

Based on the Tiburon's age, you'll probably see different recommendations out there just based on what the current Hyundai spec is...which in my opinion isn't what I'd put in it. As others have said, I'd use something akin to Redline MT-90 or the equivalent 75w-90 Amsoil or similar product.

I believe Redline recommends 75w85 ( MT-85 ) which is what I have in my '13 Accent and Amsoil recommends a 75w-90 product. I'd defer to the 75w-90 just based on the original spec and would probably have a preference for Redline ( having used MT-90, MT-85, and MTF in years past ) . A good GL-4 specific fluid ( a relative rarity ) would probably suffice, but I think that makes it a choice between Amsoil, Redline, and a couple others.

Ok im narrowing it down to the redline MT-90 or the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS. I did some reading on both and redline is consistently praised as a fantastic fluid but the Motorcraft appears to be some god-like oil that has no competition based on what people say about it. What do y'all think?

FWIW, I used to go to the trouble and expense of getting either Redline MT-90 or Amsoil Manual Transmission Fluid for my ECHO, but this last time I used Honda Manual Transmission Fluid instead. It was under $7 a quart at my local dealer and it has been working fine. I honestly cannot detect much of a difference between them.

I would think the kicker is a specific GF-4 spec'd fluid and not a readily available GF-4/5 which Hyundai would recommend against due to GF-4 having the proper additive package and yellow metal protection. If the car has 150K miles on it and you're not looking at long term ownership it may not matter to you, but I'd always want to put the right product in it....which isn't always easy to find or easy on the wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back