Color match wax/polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever tried color matched polish?
Some douche keyed my sons new used car yesterday and gouged a nice line in the fender and door. Touch up never matches and makes it look worse. Of course, the car is red.
Thanks.

Looks like Turtle Wax has a new formula. I have old formula beige and blue I am using, it looks good at first but only briefly so if you use it a lot it may hide the issue.

If it has gone through the clearcoat and into the paint there is nothing that will truly hide it.

Sounds like you have varmints in Baja Georgia, wherever that is.

Originally Posted by Gipple
Has anyone ever tried color matched polish?
Some douche keyed my sons new used car yesterday and gouged a nice line in the fender and door. Touch up never matches and makes it look worse. Of course, the car is red.
Thanks.

While far from perfect, the factory matching touch-up paint is going to be the best option for repairing the scratch so that it does not immediately draw the eye when glancing at the body panel.

It takes some practice, but with some work and usually several mulligans, you can actually get it to where no one will notice it unless you point it out them.

The color matching waxes/polishes will not help your son's situation, at best they will make the paint shinier and cause the scratch to stand out more.

If it's a solid red it might not be too hard to repair with touch up. Go to a shop that mixes paint and have them make you a touch up bottle after you pick the right color variant for your car. Get a nice artists brush and touch it up.

If you want to go all out, build the paint up gradually over time. Build it up above the factory paint level. Wet sand it flat and buff it.

The factory touch up stuff is hit or miss because colors almost always have variants of the shade.

I used the Turtle Wax red on this Honda which had hundreds of tiny stone chips on the front of the hood and bumper. Too many to touch up with a brush. Used the Chipstik on some larger blemishes and the wax all over and it does a decent job of hiding the chips. They don't disappear but do appear less noticeable.

[Linked Image]

I used the Turtle Wax scratch hiding wax for the Grand Prix that my daughters use. Covered up many scratches but washed off very quickly afterwards. Maybe a coat of harder wax over top of the turtle wax would help.

Woof.

I would try a compound first, to try and soften the scratch. It may well be that it is still in the clear, and just discolored. A long shot but I'm not there to personally look at it so it is hard to tell if it is still in the clear or through it and the color.

Originally Posted by Gipple
Pretty sure it went through the paint to the primer.

Like I said, hard to tell from the photos. If that is the case, then nothing but paint will fix it.

I really think your best bet would be to get in contact with a mobile touch-up business. They came through and did used cars for us - 99% of the time it was an invisible repair. You could also try something like Dr. Colorchip.

I used some Black car wax on my black car and it didn't cover anything but made the rags un usable again. Waste of money.

I used the red Sonax polish today. It did fill in swirls and light scratches, but deep scratches were more difficult. I did several layers on the deeper ones and eventually it did fill them. How durable that will be is another question. The included scratch filler is a red crayon and was useless. A crayola box would work better. Removing was a chore. This stuff does not wipe off easily.
Eventually going to need a respray as the clear coat is failing. Just a stop gap for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back