Your Diesel calls for 5w30, but warranty has ended...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by loneryder
2019 3 ltr v6 in Sprinters manual. Don't think they put them in passenger vehicles in NA anymore. The only time I ever had to add a qt. of oil before 5k miles in mine was when I used Mobil 1 formula 5-30 esp. It was the only time I ever used a 5-30. Where do you find that the Mobil 5-30 has a 3.5 hths?? Read Stephens Service site updates. They make sense. He spent his whole career with and on MB's.

M1 ESP 5w-30 has an HTHS of 3.5 (shrug) with the following approvals.

MB-Approval 229.31

MB-Approval 229.51

MB-Approval 229.52

Last edited:
2019 3 ltr v6 in Sprinters manual. Don't think they put them in passenger vehicles in NA anymore. The only time I ever had to add a qt. of oil before 5k miles in mine was when I used Mobil 1 formula 5-30 esp. It was the only time I ever used a 5-30. Where do you find that the Mobil 5-30 has a 3.5 hths?? Read Stephens Service site updates. They make sense. He spent his whole career with and on MB's.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-5W30

I don't know what "formula" refers to in your post though.

Originally Posted by kschachn

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-5W30

"Formula" was in the name of the 5-30esp made in France. It came in Ltrs. At one time their were 2 Mobil 1 5-30 esp's on the market. Very confusing. A lot of people say the "formula" product was a stouter oil. If they still make it, they don't bring it into the US anymore.

Sprinter has commercial application and different SCR as well as OCI requirements etc.
As for HTHS, I thought this is actually serious discussion. MB229.51 and MB229.52 specifications require minimum HTHS of 3.5cp! So, even if I did not know what is HTHS of specific Mobil1, that specification tells me it is minimum 3.5cp.
Formula ESP 5W30 had HTHS of 3.58.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

"Formula" was in the name of the 5-30esp made in France. It came in Ltrs. At one time their were 2 Mobil 1 5-30 esp's on the market. Very confusing. A lot of people say the "formula" product was a stouter oil. If they still make it, they don't bring it into the US anymore.

No, Formula is not made anymore. Mobil1 shifted product from VISOM base stock to GTL base stock.

Originally Posted by BigJohn
Originally Posted by Rat407
What's wrong with what you are using now? Why change?

An EcoDiesel user went to 15w40 and recognized significantly reduced wear over 5w30.

That's my main motivation. I want to keep this car for a quarter million miles.

Here's my VM Motori 3.0L's most current UOA. Has UOA's for 0w40, 5w40, and 15w40. Enjoy!

2015 RAM EcoDiesel, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 CK-4

Originally Posted by SavagePatch

Here's my VM Motori 3.0L's most current UOA. Has UOA's for 0w40, 5w40, and 15w40. Enjoy!

2015 RAM EcoDiesel, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 CK-4

I viewed your UOA's.... They would be much more meaningful if you were conducting 10K OCI's per the manual. You will see that my last fill, was with T6 15w40. I will run it 11,500 miles and test it.

.......but this thread is focused and about my 2015 2.1L Benz Diesel. Some of the 15w40 Semi-sythetic UOA's, off the shelf from WalMart are showing phenomenal performance. I just wonder if they would be better than the low-SAPS 5w30 variety in the quest to reach a quarter million miles on the engine.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
They are saying that 10w or 15w still gives better protection for diesels...

10 or 15w- what?

I find that blanket claim dubious at least for passenger car diesels that get many more cold starts.

The other number is the important one. 40 better than 30 in euro and HD engines? Probably buy that. Full context is important.

What's wrong with what you are using now? Why change?

An EcoDiesel user went to 15w40 and recognized significantly reduced wear over 5w30.

That's my main motivation. I want to keep this car for a quarter million miles.

You mean as opposed to tens of thousands of commercial diesel vehicles that are using 30w oils in them and have well over 500,000 miles on them? Can't imagine that you are putting your vehicle thru near the strain that a semi truck grossing 80,000 lb running 7 mile hill in California in 110F heat has to deal with.

"...the strain that a semi truck grossing 80,000 lb running 7 mile hill in California in 110F heat has to deal with."

Where's this? I80 between Sacramento and Reno/Truckee?

Originally Posted by SavagePatch

"...the strain that a semi truck grossing 80,000 lb running 7 mile hill in California in 110F heat has to deal with."

Where's this? I80 between Sacramento and Reno/Truckee?

On I-40 west of Needles. But the same happens on every other hill from the Mexican Border to Canada. Thousands upon thousands of commercial trucks pull gross loads using 30w oils in the engine year round. Some of them now well over 500,000 miles on the engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back