The Truth & Myths about Ceramic Coatings

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably the best video online that talks about the details behind Ceramic coating products (waxes, sprays, etc.) - without any specific product endorsements, nor any products shamed.

It's good foundational information that can help people get past product hype and understand / scrutinize Ceramic coating products. It also helps clarify some of the claims of current Ceramic products (some of which as misleading or downright false).

Enjoy.

I know almost zero about this . I have heard of ceramic coating on brake products and , maybe , on headers .

I do not , thank God , live in the rust belt , do I do not need it on brake products .

Do not have headers , so I do not need ceramic coating on that either .

Ceramic coating products are the "latest thing" in vehicle detailing.

No worries...there are plenty of people who have the wrong information as well as little or no information on this topic.

It's the reason this was shared.

I think of Ceramic as a fired clay mixture that become a glass surface, not a my self coating at room temp. I think the word Ceramic is very miss leading. Another PR misnomer. Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
I think of Ceramic as a fired clay mixture that become a glass surface, not a my self coating at room temp. I think the word Ceramic is very miss leading. Another PR misnomer. Ed

I would research ceramic. Ceramic brick as an example does not fit the hard glass surface description.

But, it is true that this segment of industry uses terms that do not apply or are stretching the truth a bit. The percentage of silica dioxide is a key factor. A spray with less than 5% can be labeled as a ceramic but it doesn't hold a candle to a product with 30% content.

Wax, sealant, coating etc are terms that are being used fluidly in the industry. Many waxes today have very little or no wax in their composition.

I agree with Eddie. While not necessarily a hard glass surface, I do think of ceramic as something you coat and then fire in a kiln. Next, we will be putting a protective layer of icing on our car.

I like Teflon on cookware , except when it comes off . :-(

Back to something close to the original question . I have seen adds for ceramic coated brake discs . I can see this having some corrosion benifit ( especially in the salt belt ) . But what happens when it wears off ? I suppose it will eventually will wear off ?

Is it a misnomer? Ceramic glazes are 70% or more SiO2. Glazes are used to coat ceramic.

So it would seem, at least to me, that the term "ceramic coating" isn't misleading at all. Some ceramic coatings even need baked-on.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Is it a misnomer? Ceramic glazes are 70% or more SiO2. Glazes are used to coat ceramic.

So it would seem, at least to me, that the term "ceramic coating" isn't misleading at all. Some ceramic coatings even need baked-on.

It is a buyer beware kind of situation. Anyone that thinks that the Meguiars or Turtle Wax products are in the same league as Kamikaze Miyabi or Enrei coatings are misinformed.

What the former products do is bring ceramic technology to the consumer as a entry level product. Affordability is a key factor here. The latter choices are out of reach for most average consumers.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

It is a buyer beware kind of situation. Anyone that thinks that the Meguiars or Turtle Wax products are in the same league as Kamikaze Miyabi or Enrei coatings are misinformed.

What the former products do is bring ceramic technology to the consumer as a entry level product. Affordability is a key factor here. The latter choices are out of reach for most average consumers.

Of course. I just wanted to point out that just because he doesn't understand why they became known as "ceramic coatings," doesn't mean the term is wrong.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I like Teflon on cookware , except when it comes off . :-(

Back to something close to the original question . I have seen adds for ceramic coated brake discs . I can see this having some corrosion benifit ( especially in the salt belt ) . But what happens when it wears off ? I suppose it will eventually will wear off ?

It immediately wears off the friction contact surface (if applied there at all), but slow corrosion in the cooling vanes. It will also come off the hub a bit easier after rust formation.

I live in the salt belt and have never found them worth the extra money for a daily driver class vehicle. My non-coated don't overheat and a light coating of silicone grease between the hub center and rotor allows for eventual removal without too much fuss.

I don't drive in a way that would overheat my brakes, no heavy loads down long hills or anything. If you find you do have overheating that is definitely something to look at whether it be a ceramic or some other coating, or more of a brake system change than just a coated rotor. Then again if you pay too much for that, you could have just swapped the rotors more often.

Last edited:
At on average $ 1500 per car around here, the cost / benefit is questionable. People have the unrealistic expectation that the coating will protect the paint from EVERYTHING ... as the video states, it doesn't.

So why bother ... $ 1500 buys a lot of professional detailing, or a ton of do it yourself detailing products.

Originally Posted by geeman789
At on average $ 1500 per car around here, the cost / benefit is questionable. People have the unrealistic expectation that the coating will protect the paint from EVERYTHING ... as the video states, it doesn't.

So why bother ... $ 1500 buys a lot of professional detailing, or a ton of do it yourself detailing products.

That would seem to be a conclusion a number of people will reach. The biggest takeaway from the video here is that even these new ceramic detailing products can't assure protection from stones & rocks flying at your vehicle on the road, nor will they last forever as some marketing spin claims.

Originally Posted by geeman789

Well... Let's say that you went against the BITOG grain and bought a nice car, that you plan to keep forever. Not because you're cheap, but because it's unique. Let's say that you're finally doing well, and you've saved up. You're going to custom order that new ///M3, Individual Composition, and you're going to pick it up in Germany.

Once it is home, you want to protect your investment, so you visit a professional detailer. He explains the paint correction process, and will correct any swirls or contamination presently on your paint, restoring the finish to a better-than-new shine. How would you like him to protect the car's newfound shine? The detailer of course reccomends a full custom-cut PPF as the ultimate protection, but you're not sure you want to spend $3000+. A ceramic coating is presented as the next best thing. It creates a near-permanent sacrificial layer, so that the scratches that WILL accumulate over time, accumulate in the coating, not directly into your clear coat (think micro-marring here, swirls from washing, brushing against the paint, etc.) It also protects against etching and the car will not accumulate the dust and dirt that lead to scratching as easily. It also makes the car easier to wash - again, less chance of marring the finish.

As a bonus, if your car needs a paint correction in 5 years or so to handle the swirls, you will be polishing (removing) the ceramic coating first - not the clear coat. Or of course, you could do as you say - spend $500 every few years for that same detailer to grind away layer after layer of your clearcoat to remove the defects introduced when using the car.

The unrealistic expectations are not created by the product, they're created by less than reputable sellers and installers. A quality company or professional detailer will be honest, and up front. Managing expectations is customer service 101.

What about ceramic coating and something like a clear bra? A buddy peeled off his clear bra after some 5-6 years and the difference in paint shades is pretty drastic.

Originally Posted by Pew
What about ceramic coating and something like a clear bra? A buddy peeled off his clear bra after some 5-6 years and the difference in paint shades is pretty drastic.

Better or worse than the rest of the car's paint?

Fading is most commonly caused by the effects of UV light's damage. It's the same reason many vehicle exterior waxes and sealants feature UV protection chemistry.

A clear bra (especially if it has UV protection) will certainly provide added protection, especially when it comes to small road debris.

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by Pew

Better or worse than the rest of the car's paint?

Fading is most commonly caused by the effects of UV light's damage. It's the same reason many vehicle exterior waxes and sealants feature UV protection chemistry.

A clear bra (especially if it has UV protection) will certainly provide added protection, especially when it comes to small road debris.

I find this to be true, uv rays cause a lot of fading. However a product like nu finish, with its synthetic cross linking zinc polymers, helps with the harmful effects of uv rays.

Originally Posted by PlzRepond
I find this to be true, uv rays cause a lot of fading. However a product like nu finish, with its synthetic cross linking zinc polymers, helps with the harmful effects of uv rays.

Yet another thread pollution attempt with the orange bottle off-topic propaganda.

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by PlzRepond

Yet another thread pollution attempt with the orange bottle off-topic propaganda.

Hi HF, just chiming in on the best uv protection that $ can buy since we were talking about fading from uv exposure. Have a good day brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back