Ford PowerShift

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2012 Ford Focus Titanium with the wonderful Getrag PowerShift fell into the hands of someone close to me. Transmission oil is contaminating the clutch(es) when hot. Acts up big time after 20 mins of driving or so. I'm trying to get rid of it.

Since it's in my hands for the near future, it needs fluid as far as I'm concerned. I don't know how much has leaked out. I can see it's seeping outside the bell housing.

What fluid can I use besides the $33/qt motorcraft stuff? Any recommendations on some thicker fluid? Maybe putting something like AT-205 in with it?

Any help would be great. Oh, about 90k miles on unit.

If the clutches are oil soaked, they're ruined. Filling it with fluid isn't going to solve anything.

Has Ford already performed the special service bulletin on that car? If it's never been touched, there's a good chance that Ford will foot the bill for new clutches and seals.

It's not something you can do at home. Lots of special tools and procedures to follow.

Contacted Ford. 7 year/100k warranty ran out in July of last year. Quoted at 1600-1700 for clutches and and input shaft seal.

Thanks for the help.

I would try and talk to Ford directly and not going through the Dealer to see if they will do anything for you, it appears to be an obvious issue with that transmission and you are under the mileage, yours must be a late '11 model that's a '12. They may not cover the whole bill but may agree to pay at least a portion of it.

Originally Posted by Hakkinen
Contacted Ford. 7 year/100k warranty ran out in July of last year. Quoted at 1600-1700 for clutches and and input shaft seal.

Thanks for the help.

Vehicle must have been purchased and registered in July of 2011 then? That's a bummer given it's still under the 100K mile thing. Like said, I'd beg and plead for some goodwill on this. Worst case, offer to pay a portion. My experience with that is they'll typically work with you then.

Update:

Contacted Ford multiple times. No help with clutches/input shaft seal repair.

Ended up going to a dealer in Canada. TCM replaced for free as it was still under extended warranty (10 years for this, 7 years for clutches/input shaft seal). Came out to $1100 Canadian. Much much less than any US dealer quoted.

My friend who owns the vehicle said it only acted up a lot more after I changed the oil. I thought nothing of it until the dealer informed me the leak was the rear main seal and nothing to do with the transmission. Not sure what was usually in it but I used 5W-20 ST synthetic.

Car is running good she says, thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back