When you've finally had enough....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Have you ever been in a situation with a friend/acquaintance where they've done something deliberately that they knew irked/insulted you, yet they continue to do so?

Yup, happened this year with my dad.

Don't think I'll ever talk to him again. I didn't think I could ever do something like that, but after what's happened this year, yeah, I definitely can.

Sorry to hear that Nick. People come and go but we only get one dad. Hope you find a way to work things out someday.

One hundred and 11 tomorrow...are you kidding?

I could echo much of what has been said.
I've had to let go of a few "friends" over the years myself. Most times they were "friends" because I was putting forth the effort, they were receiving the benefits of my intellectual or physical labor, and for the most part, I tried to see the good, and ignore the obvious. There are times when I am not a smart man, but I know what love is....

OP, how do you feel now that you have let go and moved on?
Good? Miss this person? Can't live without them?
If you are fine, keep on moving in a positive direction,full throttle.
There are plenty that would value a solid friendship, just enjoying your time and presence.
If doubtful, re-evaluate. You may want to see if this person was sincere in their apology.
There are no rules except that you get something out of the relationship as well as the other party,it is a fair relationship based on your judgement system,and to be content in this world.

I am not sure if you mean something racist, or more like a nickname that just irritates you. Either way I hope you took some action to let them know why you are cutting ties, otherwise they may not learn their lesson.
(Edit- never mind what he did, you were quite clear it was a racial insult).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I am not sure if you mean something racist, or more like a nickname that just irritates you. Either way I hope you took some action to let them know why you are cutting ties, otherwise they may not learn their lesson.
(Edit- never mind what he did, you were quite clear it was a racial insult).

Not worth the bother, just stop communicating with this type of person immediately, after all this kind of rebuke is the only thing they will ever understand.

Last edited:
I have weeded out all of my friends that I have outgrown or who have [censored] me off way too many times in order to keep letting this happen any longer. Those who never changed since H.S. They have the same immature attitude(mostly guys) and comments as if we're still 16 years old in the H.S. lunchroom. C'mon!

I am retired and have retired them from my life!

Ha! I had a friend who fits this exact description. I haven't seen him in nearly 7 years and he shot me a message the other night congratulating me on my marriage and wanting to get together.

Time has a way of healing things and I genuinely believe he's grown up. I told the wifey about said friend and she just rolled her eyes. She's dealt with his shenanigans many many times. Lol.

Originally Posted by WondrousBread
Honestly? Who needs the stress of a friendship where you're the only one putting in any effort or consideration?

A friendship relies on reciprocity, not necessarily equal in amount but in intent. It seems that this "friend" had little intention of being even considerate of your feelings, let alone friendly.

Good for you for cutting it off. I hope that your future friendships are more true.

+1 well putted!

OP, you'll be better off by yourself and without your fake friends

I've known many people who I refer to as "fair weather friends". They're only there when they need something. Any other time,they treat you as if you're invisible. I burn bridges with these types.

Thank you everyone for the well-wishes and support, I'm feeling much better as time has progressed
grin.gif

Originally Posted by beanoil

OP, how do you feel now that you have let go and moved on?
Good? Miss this person? Can't live without them?
If you are fine, keep on moving in a positive direction,full throttle.
There are plenty that would value a solid friendship, just enjoying your time and presence.
If doubtful, re-evaluate. You may want to see if this person was sincere in their apology.
There are no rules except that you get something out of the relationship as well as the other party,it is a fair relationship based on your judgement system,and to be content in this world.

Hi Beanoil,
Actually, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders.
banana2.gif

While I was maintaining this friendship I always felt like I was giving too much of myself, and not receiving anything/very little in return. Communication was always on his "terms" and he insisted I use a specific app. He knew my spouse and the relationship and I was totally forthcoming with anything that was asked...as a friend should be (at least I thought). Whenever I'd ask questions about his relationships with GF's etc., he'd simply ignore the question/pretend like I never asked it (this happened often).

I also feel that I used this texting relationship as a means of avoiding making "real friends". I have realized it was more of a crutch that only prevented me from experiencing friendship in the current city I live in.
In addition, I feel like cutting ties with his has empowered me to want to get out and explore more of the opportunities around me.

Oh and I can't forget this forum. I shudder to think of where I'd be without the advise and support of you guys.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back