Can we extend OCI in cars burning oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Last year we purchased used HONDA CR-V with 30k miles only to find out its burning ~2.5 quarts of oil between standard oil changes ( it takes 4 quarts ). The manual calls for filter change every OTHER oil change, but running Mobil 1 ( slightly thicker 10W-30 instead of 0W-20 the manual calls for) and seeing how much fresh oil I add, I am tempted to just let the oil sit there twice longer as per oil life monitor and just drain and change it with the filter. Its roughly once a year. I am going to post the UOA when I drain it. What is the consensus on such idea? Yes or no?

A typical change interval for a Honda engine using the OLM is about 5000 miles.So the engine is burning about a quart every 2000 miles. More than expected but hardly a disaster.

I would stick with Honda's recommendation; change it by the OLM (which will be about every 5000 miles) with a filter change every second change.

I'd use a synthetic media filter and do a quick change (no filter) instead of actually extending the oci, maybe run a thick oil in there. Actually try a low noack oil like 5w30 redline once, see if it helps the burning. Not only is the noack very low the esters may end up burning much less. Noack is one measurement, but as it gets hotter as in hths redline 5w30 even gets better against the crowd. As in there is a decent chance it will burn less. I had a vehicle burn 1 qrt every 3k miles, and it was the best vehicle I ever owned and owned it for 11 years, but yours seams essesive. Never knew about redline back then, dunno if it will help, but one oil change to try aint a big deal.

A quart every 2000 miles? That's not the worst I've heard of
smile.gif

You may also want to consider using HM oil.

It would be worth soaking the piston rings in something like Berrymans or Kreen and overhauling the PCV system.

If things don't improve then maybe just replace the oil filter every 5k and keep the oil topped up. You could probably get away without changing the oil.

I know in older Honda's they were more susceptible to use more oil with Mobil 1, I had used Castrol GTX 5w30 in my Civic for a longtime but then switched to Mobil 1 and it went through a lot more oil. Every engine that comes off the assembly line is different, yours could've been a bad one and/or a previous owner didn't take care of it and did not break the engine in the right way. I would run seafoam and MMO (not at the same time) through it with some quick changes to see if that helps. I've tried about everything with my Civic and most gaskets have been replaced but it doesn't leak and there aren't any spots on the ground and the pan is dry so I'm thinking valve stem seals/guides or rings. For your CRV I would also try a HM oil like others have suggested such as Mobil 1, PP, or Valvoline Maxlife or you could try a heavier duty oil like Shell RGT or even Chevron Delo xle 10w30 if you can find it that is, can be rather elusive.

I'd be curious what a catch can would look like after 4 or 5k miles on that car.

Ok seriously, burning that much oil (greater than half the sump between changes) means you got a problem (worn rings - try Restore, worn valve guides, bad pcv increasing crankcase pressure, etc) that needs to be dealt with or I'd be surprised if that engine lasted another 30k. Obviously some of the potential causes will be easier/cheaper to fix than others, so I get that.. but I don't think you're doing yourself any favors by not trying to diagnose the cause of your engines drinking problem.

(maybe you are troubleshooting things but I wasn't sure by your post, so I apologise if I assumed wrongly)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ym42
its burning ~2.5 quarts of oil between standard oil changes ( it takes 4 quarts )

With that math, you could go without changing the oil for 10,000 miles. Just keep adding a quart every time it's low. 10,000 miles later, and you've added 4 fresh quarts.

Seriously, get the engine fixed. No car should burn that much oil. When you have an engine that isn't burning that much oil, then worry about extended oil change intervals. At this point, you're not even changing oil. It's all being burned off.

With a good filter you can extend the OCI. A UOA would be helpful in determining how much further you can go.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Originally Posted by ym42
its burning ~2.5 quarts of oil between standard oil changes ( it takes 4 quarts )

With that math, you could go without changing the oil for 10,000 miles. Just keep adding a quart every time it's low. 10,000 miles later, and you've added 4 fresh quarts.

Seriously, get the engine fixed. No car should burn that much oil. When you have an engine that isn't burning that much oil, then worry about extended oil change intervals. At this point, you're not even changing oil. It's all being burned off.

Right!...‚ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by ecotourist
A typical change interval for a Honda engine using the OLM is about 5000 miles.So the engine is burning about a quart every 2000 miles. More than expected but hardly a disaster.

I think that stance is incredibly myopic. I't think of it this way- his vehicle is burning/using 63% of the total oil volume during an oil change. Why do I think of it that way? Because probably 98%+ car owners don't check their oil frequently enough, and say "Oh I just had the oil changed, I'll have it checked at the next change."

OP, I personally think you are fine to extend the OCI because you are replenishing. If you want to at least use some mathematical justification, at your current usage rate you will top off an entire OCI at 8,000 miles, so yes, I doubt there is a problem with running it twice as long.

However, do some research on Kreen and/or Valvoline Premium Blue Restore... they may be able to help you.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I'd be curious what a catch can would look like after 4 or 5k miles on that car.

I was going to put one on my pickup because it would burn 1 quart every 100 miles towing. Luckily TCW3 in the gas seems to help with that a bit.

Seriously, $10 more for 2.5 quarts of between changes vs. $1,000 to $2,000 to repair the engine? I know what I would pick. You would have to drive another 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles just to break even to repair whatever real or imagined problem the engine has, causing it to use a quart in 2,000 miles.

its not a real lot BUT that oil is going somewhere BAD!! just traded girlfriends 63 thou 13 malibu that was getting worse by the mile. using 10-30 helped a while, then 5-40 that also helped but figured better trade before it gets any worse. oil consumption is said to be bad for the cats as well as other things like direct injection carbon issues. good luck as newer hondas are not without issue as manufacturers TRY new options to get better MPG's, we are the beta testers!!

Originally Posted by atikovi

Seriously, $10 more for 2.5 quarts of between changes vs. $1,000 to $2,000 to repair the engine? I know what I would pick. You would have to drive another 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles just to break even to repair whatever real or imagined problem the engine has, causing it to use a quart in 2,000 miles.

Ditto. This isn't that much oil usage. Less would be better but this is hardly that bad.

You say you go by the OLM and change about once/year? 10k/year miles? I'd just change it once a year and forget about it. Yeah you might save a buck if you do out the math and figure you can go longer--and I'm willing to bet it'd be fine if you did, as you are adding a decent amount of fresh oil. But since I do an oil change per month I'm a bit biased into thinking that this it's less work to do the oil change than it is to figure out the optimal oil change interval.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Burning that much oil could cause other problems like fouled o2 sensors giving false or slow voltage readings which could lead to a overly lean/rich condition which can cause a host of problems itself, a fouled pcv leading to increased crankcase pressure that could cause seals to leak, the oily crankcase gasses passing through the pcv can foul up the intake (that's why I suggested a catch can), oily exhaust can lead to premature failure of the catalytic converter (the oil is a contaminant causing it to run real hot).

But to your point, and as I mentioned in my previous comment, yes...some of the potential causes of the oil consumption are going to be expensive to fix but just adding oil in between changes and not addressing comes with some risk of damage to other components.

I'd check/clean the pcv to make sure it's working and not already causing back pressure in the crankcase that could blow seals/rings. Then pressure test the cylinders to see where they're at. This will give you an idea of how bad things are and whether or not it's worth dumping money into it. Try Restore with CSL for the piston rings and maybe run a HiMi oil, in case the valve stem seals are bad. If your valve guides are worn a HiMi won't help with that because they are usually metal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Miller88
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I was going to put one on my pickup because it would burn 1 quart every 100 miles towing. Luckily TCW3 in the gas seems to help with that a bit.

I wanted to put one in mine but things are so tight in my engine compartment I'd have to mount it opposite side of the engine and run it back to the pcv/intake. I decided against that because I'm afraid oil will condense in the long hose runs and the near 180 degree bend the hose would make to go back to the catch can from the pcv. It's possible the manifold pressure is sufficient to keep that from happening...but I haven't decided yet to put that theory to the test

WOW - lots of replies overnight!!! BITOG community is going strong! Interesting thoughts here, appreciate everyone's reply - my opinion is that a quart every 2000 miles is not a big deal, but annoying as [censored]! I considered going to Honda and talking to them about the issue, but tearing the engine open seems like a difficult choice to make. We will need a loaner and who knows if they break something else in the process, or if that will even help - some people complain that after the repair, same things happened again...

Meanwhile, let me mentioned just for fun - MANY YEARS AGO AS A STUDENT I HAD SATURN SL and IT BURNED A QUART EVERY SEVENTY (70) MILES!!! The engine lasted just fine:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back