2016 f450, deleted, 6,000miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running a lpf9750 Luberfiner, wix full flow, Coop Dmo CJ4 15w40 mineral. 6-7,000miles. Air filter has been a large open style, oiled membrane, with pre filter sock. Truck has been deleted since January. Very dusty conditions. Looks ok IMO, air filtration a bit lacking. No TBN numbers avail at the time. Will add that to future UOA. Thoughts?

[Linked Image]

The Si numbers get my attention. Dusting an engine was a problem in our 7.3s and 6.0s in the west.
I'd be looking at going to stock filtration if it was my truck.

Originally Posted by Danno
The Si numbers get my attention. Dusting an engine was a problem in our 7.3s and 6.0s in the west.
Stock assembly won't flow enough, has a giant aftermarket turbo on it running 45psi. There are some paper elements to try though, disposable but still large surface area. Might even have one on the shelf.

Originally Posted by CrazyMike
Stock assembly won't flow enough, has a giant aftermarket turbo on it running 45psi. There are some paper elements to try though, disposable but still large surface area. Might even have one on the shelf.

Without knowing what brand you're running now I would recommend looking in to AFE and seeing if they have a Dry (or Oiled) filter that will work with your intake.

Been running S&B paper filters with a wrap before delete, switched to oiled with wrap after delete since I could collapse the filter gauge, needed more flow. I found with better flowing oiled and a wrap I could still collapse the gauge, ran 2 weeks with no wrap during a trip through BC, could of very well collected a majority of this silica during this trip. Regardless I agree some filtration needs to change, and further UOA. Thx for the feedback!

Try AEM Dryflow. On my Cummins Rams, I could collapse the gauge on a brand new factory filter.

My DryFlow is showing nothing on the gauge after more than 50,000 miles in service. I operate in sand and dust clouds all of the time and typically put up single digit Si numbers over a 25,000 mile oil change interval. I have not cleaned it even once.

Get the biggest one you can fit. You will not regret it.

But again, you need to know whether or not Si is part of the formula.

So you went 10,000 miles on this report? I'm confused, you say 6-7000 miles in your post, but then the oil report says 90,000 miles on the engine and 10,000 on the fluid.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
So you went 10,000 miles on this report? I'm confused, you say 6-7000 miles in your post, but then the oil report says 90,000 miles on the engine and 10,000 on the fluid.

10,000 kilometers. He's north of the border.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

10,000 kilometers. He's north of the border.

LOL! Yeah, Chris ya can't fix stupid
wink.gif

Originally Posted by CrazyMike

Sounds like you're on the right tract looking for larger filters. Larger filters = reduced pressure loss through the filter media.

those are decent wear numbers for the exposure and presumed dust inhalation.

I would look into going back to a stock air filter, but seeing if you can mod up a "double" intake somehow to get the volume you need using stock elements. I realize it's cramped inside a 6.7L PSD hood.
You play, you gotta pay!
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Meant to add, single digit wear numbers are a good sign. Gotta have that VOA though.

Would that not indicate the Si is not causing additional wear? Backs up your post on need for VOA.

Look into replacing your filter element with a new element from Power Driven Diesel. Their dust bowl filters are great in regards to efficiency with very high claims in regards to air filtration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back