Cleaning coolant from carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

I've got some coolant (G13) that spilled in the trunk of my car. What's the best way to get it out? I've read about white vinegar and baking soda, but I wanted to hear if anybody had some experience they'd like to share. I also have a portable carpet cleaner, but I'd hate to "pollute" it with coolant--if it won't wash out of the carpet, my worry is it won't wash out of the cleaner either.

Any ideas appreciated!

Its water soluble so a good soapy water solution and a wet vac ought to do the trick. Several extractions might be required to remove traces of the dye in the coolant. Remove the carpet from the trunk to do this and make sure the metal floor of the trunk is good and clean and dry before reinstalling the carpet.

Well first you want to use some kind of extraction process to get as much out as possible. Detailing shops have small versions of what the professional carpet cleaners have. You may have to do with a wet & dry vac.

Hot day, garden hose with grip sprayer, and a large wet/dry vac( like rigid). Spray and vacuum, over and over. Dilution is what you want. then let it dry in the sun. Pull the spare and make sure no water sits in a low spot.

Last edited:
Dilute either Simple green or oil eater. Use a soft carpet brush to break up the coolant. If the carpet comes out then hose it off if not carpet steam cleaner from home Depot etc.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Dilute either Simple green or oil eater. Use a soft carpet brush to break up the coolant. If the carpet comes out then hose it off if not carpet steam cleaner from home Depot etc.

I was thinking Simple Green too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back