What were you paid hourly your first job that deducted social security and taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
somewhere in the late 90's I was paid $5:50 an hour....

that was the job that paid the bills. I also made $1 per bundle to carry shingles up to the top of a roof, and a similar wage to work on a sod farm...both cash at the end of a day. I made my fun money on this, but paid the bills with the steady $5:50 an hour at Subway.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Average BITOGer age has to be around 60.

Maybe the younger folks are not responding as many of the older folks... ?

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
$5.00 an hour in 1969 as a concrete laborer in a summer job. First real job in journalism four years later paid $3.35 an hour. That sucked.

Wow--I thought I was making decent money at $7.00 for concrete labor in the mid-1990s.

I got a monthly salary for working on the farm in the 1980s, starting at age 11. I did the math once, and hourly pay for my last year worked out to either $1.35 or $1.85. My first job in town paid $3.35. I think I was there for the raise to $4.25 in about 1990.

$0.72/hr in 1960 Draught (draft) beer had recently gone from $0.10 glass to $0.15 glass ... I needed a raise.
56.gif

When I was in 9th grade (15 yo) I had an elective class named FREE ENTERPRISE. We had to obtain a work permit to get a job, open a savings AND checking account, and show what we spent our money on. I found a job as a dishwasher at WAFFLE HOUSE making $1.25 an hour. I was only allowed to work on Friday and Saturday nights, 12-8.

2000 - Kmart - $5.15/hr as a cashier. I was 16 and it was my true first job so my little checks from my 15-20 hours a week seemed like a lot, I felt extra fancy when I ended up at Target 2 years later full time @ $8/hour.

$1.35/hr. in 1966. A couple of years later I went into the military and after taxes I think I started at $35/ week. Of course room and board was also part of the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back