Shell gas truck compared to Quaker state

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen any comparisons of shell gas truck 5w 30 to Quaker state ultimit durability 5w 30.
Shell flash point 237
Quacker state flash point 234
Shell density 836
Quacker state density 837
Shell cold viscosity 66.4
Quacker state cold viscosity 66.65
Shell hot viscosity 11.7
Quacker state hot viscosity 11.60
Looks like almost the same oil but Quaker state is less money

Well, they are both made by the same company aren't they?

Maybe the difference is in the additives???

Shell Gas Truck has more Zinc and Phosphorous and slightly more moly. Here is a collection of Shell Product VOAs found in this forum. Enjoy.

17E34AD2-7072-4139-AC75-BD318C32C536.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess I wouldn't be surprised If the base oils were pretty similar and the add packs have some differences, but that is only a guess.

I hate to be "that guy" who nitpicks too much, but I have noticed a number of posters recently referring to the 40C viscosity as a cold reading...that is 104F, not very cold to me!!

CCS and MRV are the real cold viscosity readings, but the temps of measurement depend upon the W grade of the oil in question.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I guess I wouldn't be surprised If the base oils were pretty similar and the add packs have some differences, but that is only a guess.

I hate to be "that guy" who nitpicks too much, but I have noticed a number of posters recently referring to the 40C viscosity as a cold reading...that is 104F, not very cold to me!!

CCS and MRV are the real cold viscosity readings, but the temps of measurement depend upon the W grade of the oil in question.

I agree. I think the "cold viscosity" the OP is referring to is the Kv40 which is the Kinematic viscosity at 40 C. The more important one is the Kv100 which is at 100 C , the long term operating temp of the engine.

Last edited:
*First time I have seen the add pack for PUP 5W30 SN+ ... Dang ! I might have to order me some on line from WM !

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Ok not cold your correct, outside temp under the hood here in florida in the summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tblt44

Ok not cold your correct, outside temp under the hood here in florida in the summer.

Yeah, I'm sure I start my car up at that temp plenty in the summer even here in New England.
My car is dark grey and I usually park in the sun at work...I will actually start making note of my oil temp monitor right when I start it up this summer, I'm curious now what kind of numbers I will see.

With no HTHS info, and poor starting TBN, I would have a hard time justifying using Gas Truck over T5 or T6, or even PYB (which is 1/3 the price!). This product has pretty much been marketing bull since it was released, reminds me of M1 AP. I know it's a "synthetic", but unless it's RL or other Grp. IV based, the difference between synblend & "full synthetic" (Grp. III hydrocracked) is getting smaller all the time!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
With no HTHS info, and poor starting TBN, I would have a hard time justifying using Gas Truck over T5 or T6, or even PYB (which is 1/3 the price!). This product has pretty much been marketing bull since it was released, reminds me of M1 AP. I know it's a "synthetic", but unless it's RL or other Grp. IV based, the difference between synblend & "full synthetic" (Grp. III hydrocracked) is getting smaller all the time!

Yeah, enough b.s. from rotella and chest thumping. Gibe me my QSUD/QSAD as dad runs both without issue
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Well, they are both made by the same company aren't they?

Maybe the difference is in the additives???

..... or the difference may be the base oil. We need an analysis of both for comparison of the addiitves.

I know he's asking about 5w30 but qsud 5w20 to me seems to have a little better additive pack. More zinc, phosphorus and moly
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Starting TBN is irrelevant it really is.

Originally Posted by 07hemi
I find it odd how the add packs will change from weight to weight

I thought it was just me....

That QSUD 5W20 is what I ran in my Ram, never had the MDS lifter bleed down like I did with Castrol.

Going to run WSUD in my JKU, unless I can find the new Rotella gas truck oil.

Originally Posted by 07hemi
I know he's asking about 5w30 but qsud 5w20 to me seems to have a little better additive pack. More zinc, phosphorus and moly
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Just stick with the QS
It will serve you well for less money
Your engine want know the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back