2006 Acura RL oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my son a car to take to college. Could you guys give me an oil recommendation please? Specifically the weight. 5w-20 or 0w-20? Has 94,000 miles and will be primarily driven in Western Oregon. Thanks very much

Either will be fine. The 0w20 might help when it's really cold. Any full synthetic 5w20 or 0w20 using the OCI suggested by the minder.

That year J-Series engine doesn't care one bit really. Anything from 0W-20-5W-30 will work just fine.

Oil at 7500 and trans D/F every couple oil changes and you'll be just fine.

I bought an RL new in 2008, and it was a great car for us for 10 years. Sold it with 140K miles. If yours has an unknown oil change history and is high mileage, I'd stick with a name brand synthetic 5w-20 to start out. If you drive it awhile and notice any oil leaks, switch to a high mileage synthetic formula. I see no reason to use a 0w-20 oil even when junior comes home in the Idaho winters.

in my old 2002 acura RL i used to use pennzoil platinum and my uoas had ridiculously low wear metals. whatever oil you use monitor the levels, get some uoas and it will tell you how your specific engine is doing on it but those engines arent picky. if you go with a 0w20 you will have the benefit of thinner oil at startup and better basestocks than 5w20 but really both are good.

If 0W-oil gives you peace of mind for cold starts, or you think your son will get slightly better fuel economy, then use it. Even in snow climates, plenty of cars are running 5W-whatever. However, either would be fine. Any modern car using 5W-20 can run 0W-20. Both are 20 weight when vehicle is at operating temperature. Difference is negligible. You can use any brand formulation you want. At 94,000 miles, some people may consider a high mileage oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back